The Student Room Group

Higher Geography

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CSM1996
Btch please, it was a river question. And there was quite a lot on the river. Although I wasn't sure about the valley :frown:

I crashed higher geo and the mapwork i've always found the hardest, me no likey maps
I hope the grade boundaries will be similar to last year's.
I'm just counting up my marks, and depending how much I give myself my overall percentage varies between 72%-78% :s-smilie:

If I get a B at both Biology and Geography I don't know what I'll do :frown:
Reply 502
Original post by Nessie162
I hope the grade boundaries will be similar to last year's.
I'm just counting up my marks, and depending how much I give myself my overall percentage varies between 72%-78% :s-smilie:

If I get a B at both Biology and Geography I don't know what I'll do :frown:

I think grade boundaries will go up this year as a lot of people said they found it relatively easy! So I'm not sure what it will be this year, what was it last year?
Paper 1 was brilliant for me! Never learned hydrosphere and industry Sinead delighted they were options and the population question wqs great. Didnt really like sand dunes andddd soils were there but was okay :smile: atmosphere was horrendous, 10 marks for human causes of global warming?! Think I might have pulled off half marks in that paper.

Paper 2 was a disaster! Never understood glaciation and pinned all hopes on Dorset coast. I didnt realise either that it said about a coastal area! D&H was good though :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Biosphere and atmosphere went badly as did the urban sprawl question...
Original post by CSM1996
I think grade boundaries will go up this year as a lot of people said they found it relatively easy! So I'm not sure what it will be this year, what was it last year?

143/200 for A2 (140/200 in 2011)
(edited 10 years ago)
For the first question in RLR, I forgot to use named examples, I explained 20 marks worth and used diagrams though, how many marks will I receive for not using named examples?
Reply 507
What did you all write for the scree slope question?
Reply 508
Original post by NorrisChuck
For the first question in RLR, I forgot to use named examples, I explained 20 marks worth and used diagrams though, how many marks will I receive for not using named examples?

You don't need to do named examples in the first question on formations, they only give you like 2 marks if you include them anyway. You can easily get full marks without them :smile:

143/200 for A2 (140/200 in 2011)

Hm I think a bit higher than 2012 but not much so.
Reply 509
Original post by sftz

If I remember correctly. "Scree slope needs cold temperatures and precipitation for freeze thaw to occur. Needs temperatures below 0 at night and above 0 during the day. Water seeps into cracks during the day. Water freezes and expands by 9% at night. This forces rock to break off. This process is repeated over a long period of time. Rocks fall to the bottom due to gravity. Rocks at bottom prevent erosion at the bottom of rock" (I made that last sentence up :lol:)
Reply 510
Could have went a lot worse! not really sure how i feel about it, a lot of the questions i was struggling to see where the marks were coming from. Didn't think the first urban question was very clear either! Malaria question was an absolute god send though :biggrin: fingers crossed...
Original post by sftz

I explained freeze thaw weathering, plucking and drew a slope. I literally just made it up on the spot using my glaciation knowledge from standard grade though haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by chaarlotte
I explained freeze thaw weathering, plucking and drew a slope. I literally just made it up on the spot using my glaciation knowledge from standard grade though haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thats what I've done :biggrin: but I also wrote that the slope is at 25-30 degree angle :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
that scree slope question was horrible i had no idea how it was formed so ended up leaving it blank hmmm paper 2 was a god send though which was good!
Reply 514
Thats what I've done :biggrin: but I also wrote that the slope is at 25-30 degree angle :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Would that not be a condition for scree slopes? Because I was so tempted to write conditions, but I realised I wouldn't get the marks because it said specifically processes :frown: And I didn't even bother drawing one because it was in exam paper :lol: Plus my drawing is rubbish :L
Reply 515
For the indicators did it definitely say 4? I thought it was 2.... I explained IMR and GDP in detail though
Reply 516
Original post by Euan23
For the indicators did it definitely say 4? I thought it was 2.... I explained IMR and GDP in detail though

Yeh it was 2 of each

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 517
Original post by CSM1996
If I remember correctly. "Scree slope needs cold temperatures and precipitation for freeze thaw to occur. Needs temperatures below 0 at night and above 0 during the day. Water seeps into cracks during the day. Water freezes and expands by 9% at night. This forces rock to break off. This process is repeated over a long period of time. Rocks fall to the bottom due to gravity. Rocks at bottom prevent erosion at the bottom of rock" (I made that last sentence up :lol:)

Original post by chaarlotte

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh good! I explained a mostly about freeze-thaw and rock falls and wasn't sure if that would be okay so i'm glad you's have done this too! :smile:
Original post by Euan23

Apparently you weren't suppose to explain them either, you were suppose to state them "Gross Domestic Product" and that would give you 2 marks, but I don't see why they'd make that question so easy like that.
Reply 519
Original post by NorrisChuck
Apparently you weren't suppose to explain them either, you were suppose to state them "Gross Domestic Product" and that would give you 2 marks, but I don't see why they'd make that question so easy like that.

Well let's be honest, explaining indicators is hardly rocket science either, so it's basically an easy 8 marks :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending