The Student Room Group

Higher Psychology 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by jazzymina
Thank you! :smile:

If there is a question on therapy like CBT and Medical model in relation to depression. Would KU marks just be describing the therapy in general or does it have to be in relation to depression. and then the AE marks would be in relation to the effectiveness of that therapy to depression.

Thank you for your help!

Describing the therapy in general terms is a good idea, but to really collect the marks you want to relate it more specifically to the point you are covering. AE marks can then be applied to how effective it is. For instance, this might be a part of your response:

"The medical model of atypical behaviour suggests the cause of depression is a chemical imbalance within the brain. It advocates the use of drugs to fix this chemical imbalance, and frequently sees rapid rates of recovery. Further, the approach sees atypical behaviour as being genetically linked, and therefore outwith the control of the individual."
[That's your KU marks. AE marks as follows...]

"However, the medical approach fails to address the other causes of depression, or any underlying emotional or social problems that make a person feel depressed. Therefore, it should not be looked at as a solution on its own, but as an important part of a solution when combined with other models."
[Which leads on nicely to talk about another such model, such as Cognitive/Behaviourist and its therapy CBT...]

"Another such model is the cognitive approach, which links a person's depression to irrational thought processes. Cognitive-behavioural therapy is used, where Beck's cognitive triad is discussed and a sufferer of depression is encouraged to come to more rational and realistic thoughts on themself, the world, and their future."
[And AE marks + conclusion...]

"Therefore, this approach addresses more of the underlying problems than the medical approach, and seeks to create strategies that can better equip the sufferer to handle the future. But in isolation it can take a while to be effective, and it doesn't have the more immediate effect of anti-depressants in the medical approach. Both as a combination are a more effective treatment for depression, because they provide quick respite from the illness as well as a more lasting change of outlook."

So the above is an example of acquiring KU and AE marks without referring to any research. You'll lose marks for this if the questions asked for research, but not if it didn't. If you add in some brief research and dig a little deeper then you're going to collect more marks. Remember though, time is of the essence. For a 20 mark question the above would be too short to get all the marks, but it might get all the marks in a 10 marker. I'd suggest writing between 300 and 400 words for a 10 mark response (or 500 at a squeeze if you're a fast writer). Double that for a 20 marker. Writing a lot doesn't make it a good answer if it's all a load of crap, but writing hardly anything simply cannot collect marks - because a marker can't give marks for nothing.

Hope it's helpful. :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 41
Original post by SarahB3
Can anyone help me? I'm finding it really hard to revise and I'm having to teach myself the whole course- I don't know what the best way to revise psychology is. If anyone could help me that would be great!

Probably just practise with past paper questions. There aren't any easy ways of revising in my opinion; it's just about investing the time and working hard. Perhaps it would be a good idea to summarise the course in bullet points and then go over and over those?
Reply 42
Thanks again. Another quick question. What treatment methods are available using the behaviourst approach? Is it just operant conditioning?
Reply 43
Original post by anniexoxo
Thanks again. Another quick question. What treatment methods are available using the behaviourst approach? Is it just operant conditioning?

It's covered by CBT (cognitive-behaviourist therapy). The behaviourist aspect of it is the use of operant conditionining to learn healthier habits/behaviours and therefore reduce the effects of depression/eating disorder.
Reply 44
Original post by HighPi
It's covered by CBT (cognitive-behaviourist therapy). The behaviourist aspect of it is the use of operant conditionining to learn healthier habits/behaviours and therefore reduce the effects of depression/eating disorder.

So you can use CBT for both the cognitive and behavioural approach?
Reply 45
Original post by HighPi
Describing the therapy in general terms is a good idea, but to really collect the marks you want to relate it more specifically to the point you are covering. AE marks can then be applied to how effective it is. For instance, this might be a part of your response:

"The medical model of atypical behaviour suggests the cause of depression is a chemical imbalance within the brain. It advocates the use of drugs to fix this chemical imbalance, and frequently sees rapid rates of recovery. Further, the approach sees atypical behaviour as being genetically linked, and therefore outwith the control of the individual."
[That's your KU marks. AE marks as follows...]

"However, the medical approach fails to address the other causes of depression, or any underlying emotional or social problems that make a person feel depressed. Therefore, it should not be looked at as a solution on its own, but as an important part of a solution when combined with other models."
[Which leads on nicely to talk about another such model, such as Cognitive/Behaviourist and its therapy CBT...]

"Another such model is the cognitive approach, which links a person's depression to irrational thought processes. Cognitive-behavioural therapy is used, where Beck's cognitive triad is discussed and a sufferer of depression is encouraged to come to more rational and realistic thoughts on themself, the world, and their future."
[And AE marks + conclusion...]

"Therefore, this approach addresses more of the underlying problems than the medical approach, and seeks to create strategies that can better equip the sufferer to handle the future. But in isolation it can take a while to be effective, and it doesn't have the more immediate effect of anti-depressants in the medical approach. Both as a combination are a more effective treatment for depression, because they provide quick respite from the illness as well as a more lasting change of outlook."

So the above is an example of acquiring KU and AE marks without referring to any research. You'll lose marks for this if the questions asked for research, but not if it didn't. If you add in some brief research and dig a little deeper then you're going to collect more marks. Remember though, time is of the essence. For a 20 mark question the above would be too short to get all the marks, but it might get all the marks in a 10 marker. I'd suggest writing between 300 and 400 words for a 10 mark response (or 500 at a squeeze if you're a fast writer). Double that for a 20 marker. Writing a lot doesn't make it a good answer if it's all a load of crap, but writing hardly anything simply cannot collect marks - because a marker can't give marks for nothing.

Hope it's helpful. :smile:

thanks for this. Your helping alot.

Though i was wondering if it was a for example 4 KU and 4 AE question on lets say...... the GAS model.

for 4 AE , would that amount to atleast 1 strength and one weakness is enough?
Reply 46
So you can use CBT for both the cognitive and behavioural approach?

if it asks for behavioural therapy by itself. Not CBT.

That would be like systematic desensitization, aversion therapy and behaviour modification like token economy. Sorry for the spelling if its wrong :P.
Reply 47
if it asks for behavioural therapy by itself. Not CBT.

That would be like systematic desensitization, aversion therapy and behaviour modification like token economy. Sorry for the spelling if its wrong :P.

Sorry token economy etc is this for operant conditioning?
Reply 48
thanks for this. Your helping alot.

Though i was wondering if it was a for example 4 KU and 4 AE question on lets say...... the GAS model.

for 4 AE , would that amount to atleast 1 strength and one weakness is enough?

As long as you identify the weakness and explain it. I mean, simply saying: "This experiment lacks ecological validity." in isolation will only get one mark. However, if you state: "This experiment lacks ecological validity because...", and then explain, you'll score more marks. :wink:
Reply 49
Sorry token economy etc is this for operant conditioning?

Correct. The tokens are essentially a currency for buying other (you could say the real) reinforcers, and they are therefore reinforcing by proxy (i.e. operant conditioning). Imagine a child who is well behaved having a star chart. When they get to 5, 10, 15 stars they are given certain rewards. The behaviour which acquired the stars is therefore reinforced. Likewise, stars could be removed for bad behaviour, which would be a punishment. With this method behaviourists assert that the behaviour of the child should approximate to a model set of behaviours. :smile:

Remember though, this is quite simplistic - as if it was as easy as this then the world would be full of little angel children, which we know not to be the case! Hey, there's a couple of AE marks! :wink:

Hope it helps.
Reply 50
Original post by HighPi
As long as you identify the weakness and explain it. I mean, simply saying: "This experiment lacks ecological validity." in isolation will only get one mark. However, if you state: "This experiment lacks ecological validity because...", and then explain, you'll score more marks. :wink:

For cognitive therapies I am learning Michenbaums SIT and Beck. Is that enough ire should I learn REBT aswell

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 51
For cognitive therapies I am learning Michenbaums SIT and Beck. Is that enough ire should I learn REBT aswell

Posted from TSR Mobile

for CBT will you be talking about specific examples like SIT, beck etc or will you be including the cognitive and behavioural elements too to CBT?

I was stuck on what to write if a question did pop up about CBT.
Reply 52
Original post by HighPi
Probably just practise with past paper questions. There aren't any easy ways of revising in my opinion; it's just about investing the time and working hard. Perhaps it would be a good idea to summarise the course in bullet points and then go over and over those?

Thank you! My teacher suggested the past paper questions yesterday so I'm going to be doing that today. I think summarising the course will also help me :smile:
Reply 53
Original post by HighPi

Thank you!

Though just wanted to ask. About memory improvement techniques Q.

how would you apply context/state dependency as a technique to answer that q in applying it to exam/study skills.

Just want to learn 1 technique atleast but my teacher said not to bother because it wont come up? Dont really trust her much.
Reply 54
Thank you!

Though just wanted to ask. About memory improvement techniques Q.

how would you apply context/state dependency as a technique to answer that q in applying it to exam/study skills.

Just want to learn 1 technique atleast but my teacher said not to bother because it wont come up? Dont really trust her much.

Well this is like asking what techniques will reduce cue dependent forgetting. I mean, we often forget things because we lack the contextual cues that were present when a memory was first encoded. Therefore, to improve context/state dependent memory we should try to study in the same conditions as those that will be present in the exam. As such, the exam conditions will best reflect the contextual cues that were present when you were revising, and the memories of what you were studying are more likely to come to the surface.

So the best approach would be to ensure you revise at the same time of day as the exam (so you are in a similar frame of mind). The exam hall will be quiet, so try to be in a quiet environment. Sit at a desk (not in bed or on the sofa), as this is what you'll do in the exam. Have a drink of water with you (if you plan to have one in the exam).

These are both good study techniques and good examples to give in response to such a question coming up. However, I'd be inclined to agree with your teacher that this is unlikely to come up. It's a very specific question and most students would find it inaccessible. But you never know, and better to be safe than sorry! :wink:
Reply 55
Original post by HighPi
Well this is like asking what techniques will reduce cue dependent forgetting. I mean, we often forget things because we lack the contextual cues that were present when a memory was first encoded. Therefore, to improve context/state dependent memory we should try to study in the same conditions as those that will be present in the exam. As such, the exam conditions will best reflect the contextual cues that were present when you were revising, and the memories of what you were studying are more likely to come to the surface.

So the best approach would be to ensure you revise at the same time of day as the exam (so you are in a similar frame of mind). The exam hall will be quiet, so try to be in a quiet environment. Sit at a desk (not in bed or on the sofa), as this is what you'll do in the exam. Have a drink of water with you (if you plan to have one in the exam).

These are both good study techniques and good examples to give in response to such a question coming up. However, I'd be inclined to agree with your teacher that this is unlikely to come up. It's a very specific question and most students would find it inaccessible. But you never know, and better to be safe than sorry! :wink:

Thank you! You know you said about Medical model to depression before with drugs.

Would i need to say how the Tricyclics, SSRIs and MAOI works? or just 1/2 lines enough for each
Reply 56
Does anyone have an idea of what might come up? So hard to tell

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 57
Thank you! You know you said about Medical model to depression before with drugs.

Would i need to say how the Tricyclics, SSRIs and MAOI works? or just 1/2 lines enough for each

Would describing beta blockers be ok instead

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 58
Would describing beta blockers be ok instead

Posted from TSR Mobile

i dunoo lol i dunoo what that is but i have read it somewhere, id stick to ones ive mentioned if i were you though. those are the main types of anti depressants for depression.
Reply 59
Anybody learning the short term effects of stress in Stress topic? I dont have much notes on it compared to long term effects i have quite alot :frown: anybody know the chances of short term effects of stress coming up in the exam/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending