The Student Room Group

Edexcel 6BIO2 ~ 3rd June 2013 ~ AS Biology

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CoolRunner
Final thing that I need help is:

1) What is the difference between Xylem and Sclerenchyma?
2) Do we need to know about Collenchyma, if so what is it?
3) What is the function of sclernchyma and where is it located?
4) What is the difference between pits and plasmodesma?
5) Do we also need to know info about Pholem? if so please explain!

Thanks!

4) Both involved in cell to cell transport.

Plasmodesmata : channels in cell walls linking cells together that allow transport of substances between cells.

Pits : thin regions of cell wall that allow transport of substances between cells. These are found in xylem , the regions in the cell wall which has no lignin are called pits + water passes through pits to neighbouring cells /tissues.
Please i need the best detailed answer for this one in an understandable form :best answer.JPG
guys where are plant fibres located? :/ is plant fibres the schlerenchyma fibres? i dont get it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rubyturner94
guys where are plant fibres located? :/ is plant fibres the schlerenchyma fibres? i dont get it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Plant fibres are xylem and sclerenchyma, they're mostly located in the stem as vascular bundles :smile:
Original post by yarshad
Plant fibres are xylem and sclerenchyma, they're mostly located in the stem as vascular bundles :smile:

thank you very much :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone have some documents on the core practicals for this unit available to share? Would be much appreciated :smile: Thanks
Original post by JaayBiology
Does anyone have some documents on the core practicals for this unit available to share? Would be much appreciated :smile: Thanks

I uploaded it a few pages ago
You're a life saver, thanyou! :smile:
Original post by mynameisntbobk
I uploaded it a few pages ago

Would you be able to open it as another file type, for some reason my laptop tries to open in in works word processer, which isnt working :tongue:
Would you be able to open it as another file type, for some reason my laptop tries to open in in works word processer, which isnt working :tongue:

I don't have it as another file format.. I could try to convert it, so give me a few minutes
Original post by yarshad
x

Thanks i get it now :biggrin:

okay, I'll attachh the pdf and the word version just in case either decides to work
I don't have it as another file format.. I could try to convert it, so give me a few minutes

Oh dont waste your time doing that, its fine, thanks for your help though :smile:
Final thing that I need help is:

1) What is the difference between Xylem and Sclerenchyma?
2) Do we need to know about Collenchyma, if so what is it?
3) What is the function of sclernchyma and where is it located?
4) What is the difference between pits and plasmodesma?
5) Do we also need to know info about Pholem? if so please explain!

Thanks!

1) xylem have pits (so water can travel between two xylem vessels whereas schlerenchyma are like tubes with closed ends.
2) isnt in the spec
3) Lignified = for support, they're on the outside of the vascular bundle (the thinnest tubes)
4)pits are basically chunks missing from the secondary cell wall, plasmodesmata is like a tunnel between two joined cells, it goes through both cell walls.
5) Yes!! The phloem is between the xylem and sclerenchyma, it is for transport of mineral ions. Think phloem = food, sclerechyma = support (alliteration always makes things easier to remember) and obvs xylem = water.
Oh dont waste your time doing that, its fine, thanks for your help though :smile:

Lol - being the awesome legend he is ; he's already converted it to a word file.
okay, I'll attachh the pdf and the word version just in case either decides to work

wow thanks Bobk :smile: youve been great help :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

haha, I've already done it :smile: the post above your one

Original post by Rubyturner94
wow thanks Bobk :smile: youve been great help :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

it's no problem at all :smile:
Reply 717
If you search the internet close enough (with a basic google search and a few clicks) you can find the revision guide as a PDF and i can't supply links as that is against forum rules.

ok no problem. thanks though! :smile:
Reply 718
I got an A in unit1 (103 ums) and I took the unit3 paper which is the alternative to practical and I think I messes a little bit, so I decided to work hard, do my best, ace the paper and get that bloody 120 ums in unit 2 , I want desperately to get an overall A. be optimistic and nail that freaking paper guys.
N.B:i solved almost all past papers and it seems the exams are nice talking in majority about stem cells and cell division and organelles.
Heres the specimen paper, if you haven't tried it out. Its harder than usual and its really good revision :smile:

I forgot about the >specimen paper - so thanks for reminding me about this.

~ Cheers :cool:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending