The Student Room Group

WJEC AS Biology BY2 - 3rd June 2013

Anyone else sitting this paper? I'm starting my revision, and was wondering if there's any useful sites/ resources anyone has been using for this exam!

Really need to get a good A in this module to get an A overall this year!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Beths_7
Anyone else sitting this paper? I'm starting my revision, and was wondering if there's any useful sites/ resources anyone has been using for this exam!

Posted from TSR Mobile

i am! One question though... You know for the 10 mark essays at the end; is it okay to bullet point your answers and would you lose marks if you do so???
Reply 2
Original post by Beths_7

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm also sitting it and looking to get an A also, s-cool is a pretty good website and I find watching YouTube videos extremely helpful. You can view a really good textbook here also: http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=HHaDGynAz1EC&pg=PA219&lpg=PA219&dq=significance+of+the+sigmoid+shape+oxygen+dissociation&source=bl&ots=v6_Eo9IXxs&sig=_vY2dYe11mNi0RhN5WB-R8zJ_vM&hl=en&sa=X&ei=qMhqUY_VK4aN7AbV_4HwAw&ved=0CF0Q6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=significance%20of%20the%20sigmoid%20shape%20oxygen%20dissociation&f=false
Hope that helped x
Reply 3
what essay question you guys hoping that might come???????!!!! so scared
Reply 4
Original post by geekD96
what essay question you guys hoping that might come???????!!!! so scared

I think it's gonna be reproductive strategies and some form of essay on plants, or rather thats what I'm hoping it is aha
Reply 5
Original post by imgonnafail
I think it's gonna be reproductive strategies and some form of essay on plants, or rather thats what I'm hoping it is aha

I do hope it is those ones! but they have come up a few times in the past so maybe and maybe not. You can never tell with the welsh board!!!!
Reply 6
Does anyone have the Jan 2013 paper?
Reply 7

did any teachers give you hints? What are you revising the most?
Reply 8
Original post by RababH
Does anyone have the Jan 2013 paper?

could you post it if you find it I have the mark scheme for it... it should be attached
Reply 9
I'm SO scared for the exam tomorrow!!! wawa
Reply 10
Can anyone please define for me what the partial pressure of oxygen is in dissociation curves?! I've had the impression that it's the concentration of oxygen in the tissues, and the saturation of haemoglobin is the amount of oxygen in the haeomoglobin.. Im so confused what is ppO2!!

Reproductive strategies would be an interesting one, but I doubt I'd go for that essay unless the other mentioned the Xylem and Phloem!
Original post by Miz1195
Can anyone please define for me what the partial pressure of oxygen is in dissociation curves?! I've had the impression that it's the concentration of oxygen in the tissues, and the saturation of haemoglobin is the amount of oxygen in the haeomoglobin.. Im so confused what is ppO2!!

Partial Pressure is basically the concentration of Oxygen in the tissues, that's correct. If you were in the lungs, where there is plenty of Oxygen -- you'd have a partial pressure of roughly 13KiloPascals.
The saturation is again, as you said, the amount of Oxygen present in the Haemoglobin at that certain pressure. Again, if you were in the lungs, Haemoglobin would mop up all that Oxygen to make Oxyhaemoglobin before you could blink!

P.S Does anyone know where I can access BY2 Jan 2010? Can't find it for the life of me!
Original post by AmyAintDead
Reproductive strategies would be an interesting one, but I doubt I'd go for that essay unless the other mentioned the Xylem and Phloem!

My teacher predicts that one essay question will be on the tracheal system in insects, apparently it hasn't come up in recent papers so one is due soon!
She has also predicted important questions on: Guard cells opening + closing, transpiration, dentition of herbivores + carnivores, ruminant gut, bile, tissue fluid, classification taxa, and inspiration in humans.
Personally I hope xylem + phloem, adaptions for gas exchange, and heart structure come up :smile:
Reply 14
Has anyone else noticed how much harder it is to get good grades for this paper?! 55+ (out of 70) used to get you a really high A but now to get the same mark you have to get 65 .. So frustrating :frown: and also so many times the mark scheme doesn't actually answer the question!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by avb212
Has anyone else noticed how much harder it is to get good grades for this paper?! 55+ (out of 70) used to get you a really high A but now to get the same mark you have to get 65 .. So frustrating :frown: and also so many times the mark scheme doesn't actually answer the question!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree!!! WJEC is the worst! One year an answer is correct the next year the same question but the same answer is NOT accepted!!!

To be fair WJEC bio is much better than bloody WJEC gcse spanish listening paper. Welsh people with welsh accents, trying to put on a spanish accent( but failing miserably) speaking for 40 minutes. Does your head in!!!!

Anyways good luck for tomorrow!!!
Reply 16
Does anyone have the January 2013 paper, if so please can you post it!!!
Thanks
Reply 17
Original post by dragonkeeper999
My teacher predicts that one essay question will be on the tracheal system in insects, apparently it hasn't come up in recent papers so one is due soon!
She has also predicted important questions on: Guard cells opening + closing, transpiration, dentition of herbivores + carnivores, ruminant gut, bile, tissue fluid, classification taxa, and inspiration in humans.
Personally I hope xylem + phloem, adaptions for gas exchange, and heart structure come up :smile:

If those topics come up tomorrow, we owe you, a lot! Thanks c:
Reply 18
Original post by laiyla
Does anyone have the January 2013 paper, if so please can you post it!!!
Thanks
Reply 19
Original post by L_Vieru
If those topics come up tomorrow, we owe you, a lot! Thanks c:

Haha yeah that's true.

Good luck for tomorrow everyone!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending