The Student Room Group

Rothschild Gap Year 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Part A
I can see why I got rejected now. When I applied, my AS grades were pretty bad and I had indicated my first choice uni as Warwick which seemed very unlikely with my grades. They probably thought I was applying as a joke.. but yeah, will try again next year. Out of curiosity, what did the Deloitte partner ask you about? Mine asked me competency q's for 15 minutes and then must have decided he was convinced, and then we just chatted for the rest..

Posted from TSR Mobile

Tbh for that programme anything less an 4A's is highly unlikely but I'm sure with good A Levels (which you'll be probably achieve) and a good interview performance you'll have a chance, and good gap year placement and experience will definitely help your cause.

Mine was purely competency, it was in September so I can't remember the exact questions which stumped me, but he surprisingly probed me really hard on my interest in Deloitte and general career goals, while a question about organisation/planning was poorly articulated, not helping me in regards to proving solid communication skills.

I talked about the international recognition of Deloitte and how the scheme provides a good stepping stone to an uni grad job at Deloitte, and when I said I was particularly interested in the work of m & a in Deloitte and corporate finance, he started to suggest that I planned to merely using Deloitte for the scholarship and as a stepping stone to McKinsey Bain etc, not for being attracted directly to them.

I tripped myself up really tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 41
Do we think it's one round of interviews only? Are we to expect thinking skills/problem solving type tests?
Reply 42
Original post by Caecilius
Do we think it's one round of interviews only? Are we to expect thinking skills/problem solving type tests?

Likely telephone interview followed by a London interview; I would also put money on perhaps an assessment centre followed by 1 or 2 interviews. More likely competency and knowledge based, I've done a lot of interviews and never really had to do any problem-solving tests apart from the online numerical/verbal/logical tests.
Reply 43
I know knowledge-based can be expected for the analyst selection process, but for a gap year placement - what would they even test?
Reply 44

http://www.rothschild.com/careers/europe/application_process/ you've probably come across this, but this is their undergrad/grad process so I imagine the gap year process is similar, so there will probably be some type of numerical testing involved as well as maybe verbal tests.

And according to their website it's a two part process, but hopefully if they reply around exam type, common sense will prevail and they'll merge it into one assessment day.

I know knowledge-based can be expected for the analyst selection process, but for a gap year placement - what would they even test?

Looking back on previous threads it seems that people were asked some general finance questions, i.e. before the scheme was changed a few years ago, what is an investment bank etc etc. Whilst you'll almost definitely be asked about the importance and role of research within Rothschild.

For my DB interview I was asked economics questions, how should the depreciation of the pound in theory affect the UK's economic performance, and has this happened. As well as some stuff about the role of the MPC, FPC and how Mark Carney may look to change this and whether he should change the Bank's role in the economy/change their inflation target. Although DB is predominantly Macro Research whilst Rothschild seems more micro focused, but still I wouldn't be surprised if they throw this stuff in there. And we'll doing/have done econ revision for exams anyway so we should be able to answer the theory questions if they come up.
Reply 45
Original post by F.A. Hayek
http://www.rothschild.com/careers/europe/application_process/ you've probably come across this, but this is their undergrad/grad process so I imagine the gap year process is similar, so there will probably be some type of numerical testing involved as well as maybe verbal tests.

And according to their website it's a two part process, but hopefully if they reply around exam type, common sense will prevail and they'll merge it into one assessment day.

Looking back on previous threads it seems that people were asked some general finance questions, i.e. before the scheme was changed a few years ago, what is an investment bank etc etc. Whilst you'll almost definitely be asked about the importance and role of research within Rothschild.

For my DB interview I was asked economics questions, how should the depreciation of the pound in theory affect the UK's economic performance, and has this happened. As well as some stuff about the role of the MPC, FPC and how Mark Carney may look to change this and whether he should change the Bank's role in the economy/change their inflation target. Although DB is predominantly Macro Research whilst Rothschild seems more micro focused, but still I wouldn't be surprised if they throw this stuff in there. And we'll doing/have done econ revision for exams anyway so we should be able to answer the theory questions if they come up.

I reckon I can pretty happily handle any econ theory, but allow actually knowing about current affairs - keeping on top of the news carries too high an opp cost.
Reply 46
I reckon I can pretty happily handle any econ theory, but allow actually knowing about current affairs - keeping on top of the news carries too high an opp cost.

I know what you mean, I can have an idea about economic indicators and maybe a little about the financial market, but I'll lack in-depth knowledge so hopefully their questions will only touch the surface and is something that I can pick up by reading the FT in the morning.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 47
I assume everyone got the email about it being shortened to three months, Dya reckon they'd let the best interns stay on for the year or anything?
Reply 48
I assume everyone got the email about it being shortened to three months, Dya reckon they'd let the best interns stay on for the year or anything?

It's unlikely but you never know, it could be that they have 2-4 3 month spells where interns interchange so they may let you stay on but I wouldn't bank on it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 49
Well I didn't get anything.......what's ur application status?
Mine looks like my application hasn't been reviewed yet. I don't know whether this is because I applied later than others or they still haven't looked at all of them....
Reply 50
Original post by morswin94
Well I didn't get anything.......what's ur application status?
Mine looks like my application hasn't been reviewed yet. I don't know whether this is because I applied later than others or they still haven't looked at all of them....

Strange.

Mine says "Under Review
Thank you for applying to Rothschild. Your application has been stored onto our database and will be processed shortly. " Which I assume is what yours says.

So I highly doubt they've properly reviewed mine. Its quite possible they haven't replied to everyone, although they did reply to everyone simultaneously in March.

I wouldn't fret about it though, they don't exactly have a history of being organised so I'm sure you'll get one shortly.

All it literally said is that the programme is now 3 as opposed to 12 months, and that if this no longer interests you, you should email them to withdraw your application.
Reply 51
Anyone phoned them up to ask about what's going on?
Reply 52
This is getting ridic now
Reply 53
This is getting ridic now

I did a while ago but it went straight to voicemail for the number I got given.
(edited 10 years ago)
Just got a rejection email :frown:
Reply 55
Original post by President M.E.
Just got a rejection email :frown:

Wow really? What did it say?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Part A
Wow really? What did it say? Unlucky bro, I've been rejected from so many places recently.

"Thank you for your recent application for UK - London - Information Centre - Gap Year Programme - 2013 at Rothschild.

Each year we receive a large number of applications of a very high standard to fill a limited number of positions. Unfortunately, after careful review, we regret to inform you that we will not be progressing further with your application.

We would like to thank you for your interest in Rothschild and wish you every success with your future career.

Kind regards

Rothschild Recruitment"
Reply 57
"All applications are currently under review and we will be in touch in May."

We can only assume that they're still working in the Julian calendar.
Reply 58
"All applications are currently under review and we will be in touch in May."

We can only assume that they're still working in the Julian calendar.

£10 says it gets to September before they start interviewing. This is far from ridiculous now.
Reply 59
Maybe they were working with the Mayan calendar

Quick Reply

Latest