The Student Room Group

Higher Geography

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CSM1996
Well let's be honest, explaining indicators is hardly rocket science either, so it's basically an easy 8 marks :tongue:

Yes but at least it involves some sort of geographical knowledge, not just writing down 4 random indicators. You actually have to know how the indicators show how developed a country is :tongue:
Original post by CSM1996
If you looked closely at part C it said:

"Referring to named examples within the Cairngorms or any other upland OR COASTAL area you have studied:" Therefore you could of done conflicts on dorset!

Ah wells, can't say I noticed that, I think I just assumed it was just upland because it was glaciation. I wrote enough and it was reasonable.
Reply 522
Original post by alfalimaindia
Ah wells, can't say I noticed that, I think I just assumed it was just upland because it was glaciation. I wrote enough and it was reasonable.

I didn't notice it either until near the end, and I was better at coastal for conflicts :frown: My mind went blank for glaciation conflict, I think I got enough for like 8, but I'm not sure about 11, whereas for solutions, I wrote well over 11 marks, just hoping I get them :~)
Original post by CSM1996
I didn't notice it either until near the end, and I was better at coastal for conflicts :frown: My mind went blank for glaciation conflict, I think I got enough for like 8, but I'm not sure about 11, whereas for solutions, I wrote well over 11 marks, just hoping I get them :~)

I just wrote about conflicts in the lake district. I wrote about path erosion, bassenthwaite lake with boats (but I called it brassenthwaite, oops) and private forests restricting access to the fells. I wrote quite a lot for those but I'm not sure if it was any good.
Reply 524
I just wrote about conflicts in the lake district. I wrote about path erosion, bassenthwaite lake with boats (but I called it brassenthwaite, oops) and private forests restricting access to the fells. I wrote quite a lot for those but I'm not sure if it was any good.

I done Lake District too!! I wrote about traffic congestion, footpath erosion, lake windermere and quarrying.
How many marks do you drop if you don't mention any examples or get the examples wrong for question a in RLR?
Original post by NorrisChuck
How many marks do you drop if you don't mention any examples or get the examples wrong for question a in RLR?

Not sure but do you mean like the area for rural land resources or like individual examples in the area for each conflict?
Not sure but do you mean like the area for rural land resources or like individual examples in the area for each conflict?

part a, so the formations
part a, so the formations

I don't remember the questions but if it said to use a area you've studied then I think you're meant to write the area. But if you did that and just didn't give a named example in the explanation of the formation then I didn't think it matters too much, you get a mark for each named example. Not all my notes have named examples and some formations I didn't write a named example.
Reply 529
im quite sad ocean currents didnt come up! i really thought it would and i revised that one alot :frown:
I don't remember the questions but if it said to use a area you've studied then I think you're meant to write the area. But if you did that and just didn't give a named example in the explanation of the formation then I didn't think it matters too much, you get a mark for each named example. Not all my notes have named examples and some formations I didn't write a named example.

I didn't refer to any area :frown:

how did you do the rest of the question without referring to any area?

If it said in the question refer to an area you have studied then I think you're meant to write the area but I'm not entirely sure, my teacher said you should write the area. I just write the area at the top of my answer but if you did you named examples from an area in your answer then it might not matter, I'm not too sure that's just how we were told to do it.

I have no idea if or how many marks you'll lose maybe someone else can answer that?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by deedee123
how did you do the rest of the question without referring to any area?

In part a I didn't refer to an area. For the rest of the question I did Yorkshire Dales :smile:
In part a I didn't refer to an area. For the rest of the question I did Yorkshire Dales :smile:

You don't have to talk about specific areas when describing the features. You'll get marks for like 2 examples but you won't lose any. Isn't the yorkshire dales limestone? :hmmmm2:
Original post by deedee123
You don't have to talk about specific areas when describing the features. You'll get marks for like 2 examples but you won't lose any. Isn't the yorkshire dales limestone? :hmmmm2:

Yes, which is an upland area :tongue:

I didn't use Yorkshire Dales for part a. Only part b onwards, I referred to no area in part a :/
(edited 10 years ago)
Yes, which is an upland area :tongue:

I didn't use Yorkshire Dales for part a. Only part b onwards, I referred to no area in part a :/

ahhh right okay.
For the first question in Development and Health, where were the marks allocated? I didn't suggest my indicators fully, I just did "Life expectancy, Literacy Rate, Average income, GNP per capita." How many marks would I get for that?

You will get 5 marks. One for life expectancy, literacy rate,average income, GNP and per capita. You get a mark for the indicator and a mark for how it's calculated.
For the first question in RLR, I forgot to use named examples, I explained 20 marks worth and used diagrams though, how many marks will I receive for not using named examples?

You'll lose 2 marks for not using examples.
Reply 539
Just realised that for the first question in development and health I didn't explain how GNP is calculated like the wealth generated by the country divided by the population and expressed as US dollars, but I said that it's used to show whether a country is industrialised and if the country produces goods which will earn profit from export, is that enough to get the mark for that bit? If not it's not the end of the world!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending