The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AdamStott64
I can't think of enough to write about for the essay:
"Why offspring produced by the same parents are different in appearance."
Feels more like a 3 marker to me! Any help guys?

Genetic: mutation (deletion, insertion, substitution), and the effect on transcrpition/translation/protein synthesis
Sexual reproduction:random fusion, crossing over, independent assortment, dominant and recessive alleles
Environment: effect of environment on switching genes on/off maybe? Taxis of plants?
Original post by AdamStott64
I can't think of enough to write about for the essay:
"Why offspring produced by the same parents are different in appearance."
Feels more like a 3 marker to me! Any help guys?

Can talk about Meiosis (unit 2) -> Leading to different genotypes/alleles between siblings (unit 4) -> Leading to different dna base sequence, so different sequence of amino acids in polypeptide (transcription/translation from unit 5) -> Leading to different protein structures (unit 1).

Could also mension stuff about mutations, and the advantages of genetic variation.
Are there any other topics to talk about for the essay question 'explain how surface area is linked to the transfer of substances within the body and between the body and the environment'?

I've so far got:
Gas exchange in insects and lungs
Photosynthesis - adaptations of leafs regarding surface area
Adsorption in small intestine
Xerophytes - adaptations to reduce SA to reduce water loss
Heat loss in humans
Original post by starfish232
Are there any other topics to talk about for the essay question 'explain how surface area is linked to the transfer of substances within the body and between the body and the environment'?

I've so far got:
Gas exchange in insects and lungs
Photosynthesis - adaptations of leafs regarding surface area
Adsorption in small intestine
Xerophytes - adaptations to reduce SA to reduce water loss
Heat loss in humans

surely xerophytes don't count as 'body'?

Also, has anyone done june 2011 paper? If so how did you find it, i just did it. There is a lot of synoptic stuff within the paper itself!
Original post by master y
surely xerophytes don't count as 'body'?

Also, has anyone done june 2011 paper? If so how did you find it, i just did it. There is a lot of synoptic stuff within the paper itself!

Why wouldn't they? Their still plants...can plants be included in this? I'm not really sure...
Reply 1445
Can anybody send me their essays? Struggling! :confused:
What is negative feedback?
"How Bacteria Affect Human Lives" essay. 23/25.

Scan10009.jpg
Scan10010.jpg
Scan10012.jpg

If you can't read anything let me know, some people struggle with my handwriting alot :lol:
Original post by helpme456
What is negative feedback?

Negative feedback refers to a control mechanism used to return something to the 'preset'/ original value. Examples of negative feedback mechanisms are evident in the controllinyg of blood glucose concentrations, cobtrolling of the core body temperature but alsothe relationships between LH and progesterone and FSH and oestrogen in the oestrous cycle :smile:
Reply 1449
Original post by Beth_L_G
I did the diseases and nitrogen ones under exam conditions. The rest I've done with books, the Internet and some random knowledge I've picked up over the last 19 years :tongue:

Ah fair enough :smile:

Original post by starfish232
Hi could someone please explain how the desired gene put into bacterium are transferred to the organism that you want to possess the gene and express it?

1. Extract the plasmids containing the desired gene from the bacteria
2. Wrap these plasmids in liposomes (liposomes are used since they're made up of lipids meaning they can cross the phospholipid bilayer of the cell easily)
3. Spray the liposomes as an aerosol into the nostrils of human (similar for other organisms). [an aerosol is basically a fine spray]

The liposomes will enter the target cells e.g. Epithelial cells and the desired gene will be expressed since the gene is associated with the target cells' function.
Original post by Castiel'
Ah fair enough :smile:

1. Extract the plasmids containing the desired gene from the bacteria
2. Wrap these plasmids in liposomes (liposomes are used since they're made up of lipids meaning they can cross the phospholipid bilayer of the cell easily)
3. Spray the liposomes as an aerosol into the nostrils of human (similar for other organisms). [an aerosol is basically a fine spray]

The liposomes will enter the target cells e.g. Epithelial cells and the desired gene will be expressed since the gene is associated with the target cells' function.

What about if you wanted to do it in a plant? Like for example in producing genetically modified crops
How does the DNA probe actually check for a mutated gene... is the base sequence complementary to the mutated gene so it glows when it is mutated, or is it complementary to the normal gene, so it doesn't glow if it is mutated?

Original post by Castiel'

Original post by Mocking_bird
.:
How does the DNA probe actually check for a mutated gene... is the base sequence complementary to the mutated gene so it glows when it is mutated, or is it complementary to the normal gene, so it doesn't glow if it is mutated?

When you add the DNA probe, if the gene you're looking for is present it will attach to it due to it being complimentary.
So when you wash it, it'll remove the unattached probe, so then you can detect the presence of the probe by autoradiography or the fluoresce it emits.

So basically, if the gene isnt there, you won't see anything because the probe will not have attached.
When you add the DNA probe, if the gene you're looking for is present it will attach to it due to it being complimentary.
So when you wash it, it'll remove the unattached probe, so then you can detect the presence of the probe by autoradiography or the fluoresce it emits.

So basically, if the gene isnt there, you won't see anything because the probe will not have attached.

I might sound really stupid but doesn't everyone have the same genes, its just the alleles which are different and if the genes are expressed? Also doesn't everyone have a tumour suppressor gene but not everyone has the mutated suppressor gene... so will the probe look for the mutated gene?/ :L
Is anyone willing to mark my essay if i send it to them? (DNA in science and technology)
I might sound really stupid but doesn't everyone have the same genes, its just the alleles which are different and if the genes are expressed? Also doesn't everyone have a tumour suppressor gene but not everyone has the mutated suppressor gene... so will the probe look for the mutated gene?/ :L

The probe is used to screen patients for a mutated gene.
You're confusing me with what you're asking. :tongue:
"How Bacteria Affect Human Lives" essay. 23/25.

If you can't read anything let me know, some people struggle with my handwriting alot :lol:

Did you write that under exam conditions? Also, I've been doing really simple spider diagrams for my plans but for someone such as myself who will not finish their essay in time, would you recommend a more in depth plan? :smile:
Right just looked at the essay "How the structure of cells is related to their fuction"

I've not written the essay I've sort of just planned it all out.

Anybody think of anything else to add?

Thought I'd open by talking about gene expression and cell differentiation. And then say how tissues are sheets of identical cells which are efficient at one function and the body works in systems to allow cells to reply on each other (put and example in... (Muscle cells reliant on alveoli to supply O2))

Then how distribution of organelles is different between cells. Red blood cells have even lost their nucleus for space for oxygen.

Examples of cells which have abundance is a certain organelles. Golgi and mitochondria in synapses to produce neurotransmitter (go into detail about acetyl choline ect?)

Right... Plants... Palisade cells have a vacuole which pushes chloroplast to the surface to expose against light, chloroplast organised for maximum surface area... Also have cell walls so they don't bust during contact with nearly pure water in soil. They become turgid

Fast twitch muscles - loads of phosphocreatine and anaerobic enzymes
Slow twitch -high blood supply and mitochondria for aerobic respiration
Also muscles are fused together and share sarcoplasm for increase strength. Many fibres (like a rope).

Also about intestine epithelial cells (microvilli) to increases surface area and can also talk about sodium glucose pump.

Squamous alveoli.... Ficks law!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by candyhearts
Did you write that under exam conditions? Also, I've been doing really simple spider diagrams for my plans but for someone such as myself who will not finish their essay in time, would you recommend a more in depth plan? :smile:

Yep, was in the mock that we did.

But yeah, either that or you can just bullet point at the end.
But if you know you won't finish it, why don't you just work on your timings before the exam so you dont have to deal with that problem? :P
Can someone please help with unit 4 as im really struggling. These how science works questions are killing me.

Why can't i access this thread http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2134026
I really need to as there's some good notes in there.

Latest