The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by reneetaylor
Hi!!! I'd find it sooooo helpful if someone could please tell me how you get the answer on 4 (ii), (iii) and (iv)???
http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/131287-question-paper-unit-f322-chains-energy-and-resources.pdf
Thank you very much for your time :smile: *bows*

Seeing that part ii) and iii) were answered. The answer to iv) I think is 250+92=342, because for the molecules to react they need to reach have the sufficient amount of energy. Since the products of the first reaction, so the ammonia has 92 KJ less, and the initial activation energy was 250. Therefore in order to acquire sufficient energy to react it, you have to add both of these values. Sorry its a poor explanation but I didnt know how else to word it.
Reply 841
Original post by reneetaylor
Haha, thank you so far!

I hope you don't mind if I ask you further
But why half on 92?
And why is (III) anything under 250? Thanks :smile:

It's because, the enthalpy change for the reaction is -92, and that gives you 2 moles of ammonia!

so one mole of NH3 is half, -46 :biggrin:
Reply 842
Original post by motivatedshroom
Thanks for setting up the forum! I just scraped an A on f321 exam with 72/90 UMS points. Very happy it's an A but I wish I scored more UMS points.

Does anyone know the definitions for:
-E/Z isomerism.
-Cis/trans isomerism.

Also I'd be really grateful if someone could please explain the difference. I'm a bit confused. Thanks. :smile:

Both E/Z and Cis/Trans are defined as being 'the same structural formula, but a different arrangement of atoms in space'.
Cis/Trans is the simple one- you have an alkene which has four groups attached- each carbon has one non-hydrogen group attached to it. Cis = both are on the same side; Trans = they are on different sides.
E/Z is similar, but it means that it can be a bit more complicated. It means that there aren't always hydrogens- there could be, for a really simple example:
I Cl

\ /
C=C
/ \
Br F
Z

I F
\ /
C=C
/ \
Br Cl
E

It is, therefore, impossible to tell which atom chlorine, for example, would be compared against, because all the atoms around the carbons are different. In E/Z isomers, there is an order you can follow (called a priority order), but if you're on OCR A, you don't need to know about that:L It would tell you whether a molecule is an E/Z isomer- as poorly shown above!
You won't need to know much about E/Z- mostly only Cis/Trans; but you should probably know that E corresponds to Trans; and Z corresponds to Cis! If in doubt- write E/Z!
Original post by theCreator
Seeing that part ii) and iii) were answered. The answer to iv) I think is 250+92=342, because for the molecules to react they need to reach have the sufficient amount of energy. Since the products of the first reaction, so the ammonia has 92 KJ less, and the initial activation energy was 250. Therefore in order to acquire sufficient energy to react it, you have to add both of these values. Sorry its a poor explanation but I didnt know how else to word it.

Thanks a lot! I get it now :smile:
Original post by Blashnet
It's because, the enthalpy change for the reaction is -92, and that gives you 2 moles of ammonia!

so one mole of NH3 is half, -46 :biggrin:

This makes sense, thank you! :smile:
Original post by .raiden.
Compound I was given in the question and because chlorine radicalisation means hydrogens are replaced by chlorine atoms the number of structural isomers only depend on the number of carbons. No new branches are formed etc. And the reason that the Cl can be on the first and last carbon and be a different structural isomer is because compound I is not symmetrical. This picture might help. Sneaky question really lol

ahh that makes sense, thanks a lot!
Reply 846
How much do you need for an A

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 847
Original post by Dejir
How much do you need for an A

Posted from TSR Mobile

It varies, usually just under 80.
Reply 848
Original post by Farringtonn
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1369914434.130546.jpg
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1369914446.107529.jpg

For this question the mark scheme shows the answer like that but would I gain all marks if I drew the stereoisomers like this

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1369914495.877401.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

My teacher says yes

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 849
Does anyone have notes of some sort of conditions and catalysts for mechanisms?
Reply 850
Hi guys. How would you draw a compound with a structural formula of (ch3)2chch2br ??
Reply 851
Original post by chigyy
Does anyone have notes of some sort of conditions and catalysts for mechanisms?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=193431&d=1358260985
Original post by SheriB
Hi guys. How would you draw a compound with a structural formula of (ch3)2chch2br ??

Not sure how there can be 2 lots of CH3 at the start of a chain
Reply 853
Does anyone have the list of conditions we need to know for each reaction

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 854
Original post by SheriB

It 1-bromo-2-methylpropane
Reply 855
Original post by Adil96m
Does anyone have the list of conditions we need to know for each reaction

Posted from TSR Mobile

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=193431&d=1358260985
Reply 856
Original post by needtosucceed=)
I tried drawing them all out but its too time consuming. Best to just guess a reasonable number then come back to it if you've got time at the end. Not worth spending 5 minutes on a 1 mark question.

I just did this paper and I struggled with that question aswell, I think its 8 as you can add the I to any of the 8 carbons.

Here's my teachers answer

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SheriB

Original post by .raiden.
Not sure how there can be 2 lots of CH3 at the start of a chain

They're not both at the start of the chain as such, it's just that's how you write structual formula when the two methyl groups are on one carbon. I've attached a drawing :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Do we need to know about nucleophillic substitution of halogenoalkanes with water ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Farringtonn
Do we need to know about nucleophillic substitution of halogenoalkanes with water ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

don't think so, only with hydroxide ions.

Latest

Trending

Trending