The Student Room Group

Edexcel GCE Biology Unit 5 6BI05 June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by super121
I understand the stuff on synapses up to where the membrane depolarises and initiates an action potential, but then it's the stuff on axons that confuses me.

Ah I hope I answered the correct question haha!
Original post by AmirHabeeb
Just to add to the above, depolarisation/repolarisation are a result of positive feedback. For example, during depolarisation, the more sodium ions that flow into the axon, the more positive the axon becomes which triggers the opening of more Na+ channels.

Also, depolarisation only occurs at the nodes of Ranvier. The myelin sheath acts as an electrical insulator conducting electrical currents between the nodes through saltatory conduction which helps speed up action potential propagation.

We're speaking about a non myelinated neurone.
Reply 222
Original post by nukethemaly
Ah I hope I answered the correct question haha!

Does the axon membrane depolarise to +40mV?
Reply 223
Original post by nukethemaly
We're speaking about a non myelinated neurone.

My bad. :smile: It's the same process though as you described above for myelinated neurones apart from the fact that depolarisation can only occur at nodes.
My bad. :smile: It's the same process though as you described above for myelinated neurones apart from the fact that depolarisation can only occur at nodes.

Yep! :smile:
Does the axon membrane depolarise to +40mV?

I checked the official textbook, and yeah it does say +40mV for depolarisation. For some reason the revision guides quote a different value :/
Has anyone made a list of topics in relation to the pre-release?

or A list of questions?
Original post by thelion0
Has anyone made a list of topics in relation to the pre-release?

or A list of questions?

if you flick through the whole of this thread, you'll find lots.
Reply 228
Where do the Schwann cells and nodes of Ranvier stuff come in? Is it something completely different?
Reply 229
Where do the Schwann cells and nodes of Ranvier stuff come in? Is it something completely different?

Myelinated neurones. Page 208 Edexcel SNAB textbook.
Reply 230
Myelinated neurones. Page 208 Edexcel SNAB textbook.

So, in myelinated neurones, nodes of Ranvier just speed up the movement of an impulse along the axon, and there's a layer of myelin sheath around the axon which is made up of Schwann cells. If the axon is unmyelinated, the movement of nerve impulses along the axon is slower?
Also, are nodes of Ranvier in both myelinated and unmyelinated neurones, or just myelinated ones?

Thanks
Reply 231
So, in myelinated neurones, nodes of Ranvier just speed up the movement of an impulse along the axon, and there's a layer of myelin sheath around the axon which is made up of Schwann cells. If the axon is unmyelinated, the movement of nerve impulses along the axon is slower?
Also, are nodes of Ranvier in both myelinated and unmyelinated neurones, or just myelinated ones?

Thanks

The myelin sheath speeds up the conduction of local currents between the nodes where all the usual steps happen (depolarisation etc.). Yes, movement is slower in unmyelinated axons. There aren't nodes specifically no. There are also degrees of being myelinated. So the more myelinated a sheath is, the faster it will conduct too.
Reply 232
The myelin sheath speeds up the conduction of local currents between the nodes where all the usual steps happen (depolarisation etc.). Yes, movement is slower in unmyelinated axons. There aren't nodes specifically no. There are also degrees of being myelinated. So the more myelinated a sheath is, the faster it will conduct too.

Thanks, it makes sense now :smile:
Reply 233
This is the mock (questions and answers) that we did in class for the pre release. Our teachers made the questions and mark schemes
Reply 234
Original post by cwood166
This is the mock (questions and answers) that we did in class for the pre release. Our teachers made the questions and mark schemes

Hi,

I am having problem to download this material.Although it seems stupid, but I am stuck. Please help me.:frown:
Reply 235
Original post by LABONNO
Hi,

I am having problem to download this material.Although it seems stupid, but I am stuck. Please help me.:frown:

Inbox me your email and I will send it through email
Reply 236
Is it me or are the biology 5 past past papers ridiculously hard. The mark schemes have some odd answers! (Not including question 7)

I need a high mark in this exam to meet my offer. Any advice?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by angelz.pari
HEY GUYS :smile:
i read the article and sounds quite interesting...but i got a slight problem in understanding the phrase below from paragraph 40 page 6
'we also find it very intriguing that the naked mole rat neurons exhibit some electrophysiological properties that suggest neurons in these animals retain immature characteristics'
please someone help me what this phrase is trying to tell us.
thank you

I think what it means is that in normal cases, as in the example they gave about human infants being resistant to to oxygen deprivation, this adaptation wears off as the neurones mature. But in the case of mole rats, the adaptation continues, so the neurones are "immature"
Original post by Abod
This is an example of Behavioural Adaptation, right?

nope, physiological
Reply 239
Hey guys,

Just going through the spec, and point 11 says 'explain the fate of lactate after a period of anaerobic respiration'

What happens to it? I can't seem to find the answer anywhere!

Good luck everyone!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending