The Student Room Group

AQA GCE Geography Unit 3- 7th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1080
Original post by Daniel George
great!!!

although I don't do climate :frown: ecosystems, conflict and tects...oh, are you doing geography at university?

ty :smile: lol climate is the worst section. No joke. so much theory its a mick take. Just learnt a whole other section of it though. Speedy revision!

I have reorganised my revision so that from 6pm onwards tomorrow its consolidating the theory and then as before, case studies wed and thur (lol repeating what im going to do is somewhat reassuring!!!)

try this one out
Explain the creation of various types of landforms that can occur at plate boundaries
Reply 1081
Original post by SimpleTom
Well you have 187 UMS - you need 320 for an A - so thats 133 UMS out of a possible 200.

This translates to about a C - you only need about 50% raw marks.

can you please owrk out how i need to do? i got 56/60 and 124/140 at AS
thank you!

why the negs? I actually dont know what raw marks i need to get in the geog 3 and 4b exams to get an A :frown: :s-smilie:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1082
Original post by SimpleTom
I haven't even started revision yet haha.

Hopefully I'll scrape an A - only need a high C I think to get an A overall.

Why neg, that is just the position I am in?

I got negged by saying i was nearlly ready for the exam :biggrin:

and i get negged for saying i got negged ...
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by emah123
whos planning on doing a human 40 marker?

Yeah - either World Cities or D&G.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1084
Original post by Miron_1995
Mainly that Manufacturing has moved to NICs and R & D is happening in MEDCs however, the mature NICs and upcoming NICs such as China are starting to be more global and investing elsewhere.

Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I was wondering if someone could post their notes on urban regeneration? Im getting SO confused with the difference between property-led and partnership schemes etc. My textbooks are pretty bad for this aspect of world cities :/
Reply 1086
Original post by ArsenalBen
Yeah - either World Cities or D&G.

same! have you covered both topics? im half way through D&G and will start world cities tomorrow! really worried ive left it too late :frown:
Reply 1087
haha! clearly someone is enjoying their negging spree! :wink:
Original post by Axion

Explain the creation of various types of landforms that can occur at plate boundaries

me too man! I don't revise well late afternoon though - I revise better in the morning! and yeah, I'm freaking out about this exam now and need reassurance...

on a constructive plate boundary, oceanic ridges and rift valleys are formed. oceanic ridges are formed on oceanic divergence and are the longest upliftes features on the earth with a length of 60,000km. The speed at which the diverge determines there characteristics, for instance, at a rapid rate (90mm or more per year) it has a smoother outline with less of a rift. the central rift can reach 3 miles or more in certain areas. an example of a oceanic ridge is the Mid atlantic ridge, moving at a rate of 2.5cm/year. further more, where continetal divergence takes place rift valleys form. the African Rift valley has a total length of 5500km2 from mozambique to jordan and the central valley (caused by the lowering of the central block) can be 500m deep. volcanic landforms are associated with rift valleys such as mt nyrigongo in the democratic republic of congo as a result of the thinning plate.
where subduction takes place oceanic trenches are formed. this is because the oceanic plate - which is more dense than the continental - is forced downwards. and where the crust is melted in the benioff zone, magma rises, and island arcs are formed. A clear example is the mariana trench and associated island arcs, where by the pacific and phillipine plate converge.
finally, at continental/continental convergence fold mountains are clearly apparent. where subduction does not take place, mountain roots are formed and deformation takes place. such events are clearly apparent in the himalayas, where by the australian and eurasion plate converge. for instance, mt everest grows at a rate of 2cm per year and is just under 9000m high.

I think that will be enough for a 10 marker :wink: - I revised this yesterday! woop woop

edit - bugger, I need to check facts - looked through my notes and there was more I could have spoken about...oops

explain how seismic waves travel through the earth? (8 marks)
(edited 10 years ago)
My notes on tsunamis from last year.

Tsunamis arise from the sudden displacement of gigantic water masses due to earthquakes on the sea bed, volcanic eruption above and under water, landslides or meteorite impacts. About 86% of all Tsunamis results from so-called seaquakes.

In order for a tsunami caused by a seaquake to occur, three things have to happen.

1. The Earthquake must measure at least 7.0 on the Richter scale. Only from this intensity upwards is there enough energy released to rapidly displace enough water to create a tsunami.

2. The sea bed must be lifted or lowered by the earthquake. If the sea bed is displaced sideward, no tsunami will occur as, for example, happened during the earthquake of 28 March, 2005 off the western coast of Sumatra.

3. The epicenter of the earthquake must be near to the earth's surface.

The difference between tsunamis and normal waves is the extreme distances between wavelengths. This is the distance from one wave crest to the next wave crest, which can be between 100 and 300km. A further feature of tsunamis is their relatively small wave height in open sea - mostly between half a meter and one meter. Even though they can travel up to 1000km/h these waves are generally not noticeable in deep waters. The wave itself only becomes dangerous once it reaches land. In coastal areas where water levels gradually become shallower, the wave will slow down but tower into a wave wall as much as 30 meters high.
If a trough of a tsunami wave approaches the land first, the water will be pulled back into the sea by enormous currents. Vast stretches of the seabed are often drained as happened during the December 2004 tsunami. In this case, and if recognised, people on the beach and beachfronts have between a few minutes and half an hour to escape to higher ground. The Tsunami Alarm warning time can be between a few minutes up to several hours, depending on the earthquakes' epicenter.

Noticed some of you were missing points 1 &2, which are crucial lmao.

Don't know why I got negged, seeing as I actually have 120/120 in this exam, with my essay being about Tsunamis, and me being pretty much the keenest person in the world when it comes to this.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Gary
I got negged by saying i was nearlly ready for the exam :biggrin:

and i get negged for saying i got negged ...

I got negged for talking to axion...now I don't have my three green bars :dontknow:
Can someone offer me some examples of TNCs that operate in the rainforest? xx
What sort of grade is 62 UMS in this exam, as I need that for an A overall in geog? and also if i'm on 258UMS from the first 3, with 80/80 in Geog4b, what do I need to get an A* overall, is it easily do-able?
Original post by hayleyvictoria

Not sure about rainforest, but Michelin (french tyre company) have plantation forests in Vietnam :smile:
Original post by hayleyvictoria

CARGILL is the biggest one :smile:! soy plantations in the amazon*
Reply 1095
Original post by A Wise Ninja
What sort of grade is 62 UMS in this exam, as I need that for an A overall in geog? and also if i'm on 258UMS from the first 3, with 80/80 in Geog4b, what do I need to get an A* overall, is it easily do-able?

hey seen as you got 80/80 on 4B you must've rocked that paper!! can you please give me some tips (obvs not directly related to the AIB as its completely different :wink: ) like how you revised for it, what resources you used and most importantly how long did you spend revising for it- how many days?

thank you!!
Original post by A Wise Ninja

aim for 100%, then you know no matter what you do - you will do your best!

it doesn't matter what you need, aim for the top and you are more likely to get it :rolleyes:
Reply 1097
Original post by Daniel George
I got negged for talking to axion...now I don't have my three green bars :dontknow:

repped you to make up for their neg :smile:
Reply 1098
Anyone got any notes on super volcanoes? :smile:
Original post by Axion
repped you to make up for their neg :smile:

wooh I have my three bars back! I'm so sad....

oh I left you a question on the other post haha!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending