The Student Room Group

Veterinary Medicine 2015 hopefuls!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1160
Hey guys see if I use veterinary biosciences as my 5th choice, do I need to create a PS specifically for it? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CanineVet
Hey guys see if I use veterinary biosciences as my 5th choice, do I need to create a PS specifically for it? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, the same PS is sent to all unis, so you just create a vetty one (sometimes a uni may ask you to email them another one specific to their course - but not sure if biovet courses do this or not)
Reply 1162
Original post by SilverstarDJ
No, the same PS is sent to all unis, so you just create a vetty one (sometimes a uni may ask you to email them another one specific to their course - but not sure if biovet courses do this or not)

Thanks :smile: I was just confused about that. So they will just receive the vet med one then. But what about the "why I want to be a vet" theme but doing biosciences doesn't make you one and doesn't ensure you will be one in the future. If I don't get in first time round I will probably go on a gap year but I will still my 5 options just in case. But thanks though :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1163
Hi Guys, Random questions
1. When are the open days for universities are they in the autumn term or more in the spring/summer? and are people planning to go to the next open days or wait until 2014?

2. and also just wondering what some of you are thinking of putting down as your alternative back up course?

Thanks
Reply 1164
Original post by Nessie133
Hi there, I'm a 2013 applicant with an offer for Bristol and I just thought I would let you know that Bristol are in the process of getting AVMA accredited so in the next few years they should get accreditation :smile:

Congrats on your offer:smile:! Thank you for telling me this because I really like Bristol:biggrin: Now I can apply and my parents won't pester me about it:colondollar:
Reply 1165
Got my keeper for a day experience tomorrow! :biggrin: yeahyeahyeah!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HJames
Hi Guys, Random questions
1. When are the open days for universities are they in the autumn term or more in the spring/summer? and are people planning to go to the next open days or wait until 2014?

2. and also just wondering what some of you are thinking of putting down as your alternative back up course?

Thanks

I think they vary. If I recall correctly, the RVC had one in Hawkshead not long ago, but others have them coming up. Personally I'll probably wait until 2014, but if you can get there this year then go for it :smile:

I'll probably just reapply when I don't get in :tongue: so I'm not going to put a backup.

Original post by Sophjeff
Got my keeper for a day experience tomorrow! :biggrin: yeahyeahyeah!

Awesome! Have fun! :biggrin:
Got all my stuff through today about the Liverpool open day yay! So now Ive booked myself onto the vet med talks and tours around the leahurst campus. I'm off on 21st June and I'm pretty excited now!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hannapoole
Got all my stuff through today about the Liverpool open day yay! So now Ive booked myself onto the vet med talks and tours around the leahurst campus. I'm off on 21st June and I'm pretty excited now!

Posted from TSR Mobile

You should be excited :wink:. I'll be at leahurst that day :biggrin:. Unluckily not giving tours :frown:
:woo: Back from the farm. Longer hours today 8:40 - 7:00 but fewer pony rides so I'm not exhausted :tongue: . The lop piglets kept getting out because the electric fence wasn't working, but I got to milk the goat and both cows so that was great :biggrin:

I've been invited to the staff barbeque too :biggrin: I'm going to have my revenge on those cheeky piggies :redface: :tongue:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1170
Hi, I had a question: I've been volunteering at a rabbit rescue for nearly 3 years. I only kept track for the first few months. From now on I will be tracking it religiously, but what do I do about those 3 years?
Original post by jordyn2
Hi, I had a question: I've been volunteering at a rabbit rescue for nearly 3 years. I only kept track for the first few months. From now on I will be tracking it religiously, but what do I do about those 3 years?

I think I remember being told that universities have a 'cut off point', and they don't recognise experience done before this. I think they'll accept anything completed within 2-3 years of the application, so work you did three years ago (five years ago by the time you come to apply) won't be all that important, especially seeing as you'll almost certainly see some more interesting cases in the coming years that you can speak about. By all means put on your app that you've been working there for 5 years though, that shows incredible commitment!

So to answer your question, I wouldn't worry about it too much. At interviews ect they'll be more interested in what you've seen recently, so as long as you take notes or whatever from now on you should be perfectly fine :h:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1172
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
I think I remember being told that universities have a 'cut off point', and they don't recognise experience done before this. I think they'll accept anything completed within 2-3 years of the application, so work you did three years ago (five years ago by the time you come to apply) won't be all that important, especially seeing as you'll almost certainly see some more interesting cases in the coming years that you can speak about. By all means put on your app that you've been working there for 5 years though, that shows incredible commitment!

So to answer your question, I wouldn't worry about it too much. At interviews ect they'll be more interested in what you've seen recently, so as long as you take notes or whatever from now on you should be perfectly fine :h:

Great thank you!
Reply 1173
:woo: Back from the farm. Longer hours today 8:40 - 7:00 but fewer pony rides so I'm not exhausted :tongue: . The lop piglets kept getting out because the electric fence wasn't working, but I got to milk the goat and both cows so that was great :biggrin:

I've been invited to the staff barbeque too :biggrin: I'm going to have my revenge on those cheeky piggies :redface: :tongue:

Wow, that is a long day! Is the milking done manually or with a machine? and is milking a goat the same as a cow, or is it different in any way?

I had a shorter day than you; started working 12.00-21.00. First at the farm which was incredible, we polished the cows hoofs. Didn't look to good when a 300 kg cow hanging in the air, kicking and strugglig trying to escape. The guy who did it was so nice, explained everything to me. I maybe asked him 2-3 questions.

Then I went to the vet... It was all quiet until someone came in with four-five animals that had been starved... I'm not too comfortable going into details, and it was a pretty awful sight. The vet who was working wasn't sure if she should report them to the police... Worst thing I have ever seen....:frown:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Tyri
Wow, that is a long day! Is the milking done manually or with a machine? and is milking a goat the same as a cow, or is it different in any way?

I had a shorter day than you; started working 12.00-21.00. First at the farm which was incredible, we polished the cows hoofs. Didn't look to good when a 300 kg cow hanging in the air, kicking and strugglig trying to escape. The guy who did it was so nice, explained everything to me. I maybe asked him 2-3 questions.

Then I went to the vet... It was all quiet until someone came in with four-five animals that had been starved... I'm not too comfortable going into details, and it was a pretty awful sight. The vet who was working wasn't sure if she should report them to the police... Worst thing I have ever seen....:frown:

I don't even notice how quickly time goes past :biggrin: . We use a small milking machine on wheels to milk both the cows and the goat, but the clusters are changeable. Milking goats is pretty much the same aside from the fact that obviously goats only have two teats. I think the motor on the goat's cluster is faster too, about 100 compared to the cows' 80.

How come you have to polish the cows' hooves, if that's not a stupid question :colondollar: ? I've done it before on horses but that was in a riding school where there are customers so it's important to make the animals look clean.

Saying the weight of the cow reminded me of something else that happened yesterday that I thought was pretty funny :tongue: . Some kids asked how much a pig weighs 'in daddies' :tongue: .When the piglets got out the farmer sent me to round them up and keep watch over them while he went to fetch a new battery for the electric fence. As I was standing there some kids started asking me some questions that I was happy to answer, then one of them asked me how much Lopella (the sow) weighs.

Me: I'm not sure, she looks very heavy though, doesn't she?
Kids: 2 kilograms?
Me: I imagine it's quite a bit more than that!
Kids: 20 kilograms?
Me: Probably more like 200 kilograms.
Kids: What about in daddies?
Me: Daddies? Lopella's a girl, she's the mummy pig.
Kids: No, what's her weight in daddies?
Me: Oh, she probably weighs about the same as two or three daddies :lol:

Well I thought it was cute, anyway :tongue:

Sorry you had to see that at the vet :frown: Did the vet call the police in the end?
Reply 1175
x

It is to make it more comfortable for the cows and prevent infections and other leg diseases. It is a long time since I saw hooves of a horse being polished (yet to be at a stable) so sorry for my ignorance; but isn't that done with a knife-looking object? Whereas for the cows we use an angle grinder.

Kids are so much fun (most of the time...) they say the wierdest things:tongue:

Well, we made sure to write everything down, and the vet was going to call a few other veterianarians, friends of hers, and ask what they would have done. They starved so much that they had started to eat on eachother... if that doesn't qualify for a report, I don't know what will...

Time is running away from me again. I need to call another LA vet :smile:
Someone in the 2014 thread just posted this, which I thought I'd share https://www.getvetted.co.uk/Home_Page.html . It's still under construction at the moment, but it looks as if it will be handy once it's up and running. :smile:

Original post by Tyri
It is to make it more comfortable for the cows and prevent infections and other leg diseases. It is a long time since I saw hooves of a horse being polished (yet to be at a stable) so sorry for my ignorance; but isn't that done with a knife-looking object? Whereas for the cows we use an angle grinder.

Kids are so much fun (most of the time...) they say the wierdest things:tongue:

Well, we made sure to write everything down, and the vet was going to call a few other veterianarians, friends of hers, and ask what they would have done. They starved so much that they had started to eat on eachother... if that doesn't qualify for a report, I don't know what will...

Time is running away from me again. I need to call another LA vet :smile:

Ooops, I was getting polishing confused with applying hoof oil :colondollar: . I think you're right though. :smile:

Ooh err, that doesn't sound good :s-smilie: What animals were they? That's disgusting :frown: .

Ditto about the LA vets :tongue: . I meant to write up a CV to send in this week but I never got around to it.
Reply 1177
Might be me, not 100 % sure what the english name is. :smile:

They are kittens. Will get more information next week, looking forward to hearing what has happened.

Good luck with your LA vets:tongue:
Just Googled it, it's simply called a hoof knife apparently. It looks like this:

Aww, poor kitties :frown: . Fingers crossed that something can be done for them.
Just Googled it, it's simply called a hoof knife apparently.

Do you guys mean trimming? I thought the same when she said "polishing" as that's more like applying hoof oil to make them shine :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending