Scroll to see replies

Reply 360
Original post by Priya08
maybe this helps:Chem.JPG

Therefore A is an elimination reaction and D is a nucleiophillic sub reaction
Reply 361
Original post by Priya08
Therefore A is an elimination reaction and D is a nucleiophillic sub reaction

Yeah but for reaction B theres 2 possible mechanisims depending on whether its a primary or tertiary halogenoalkane C4H9br.. Kinda confused why are there 2 and why does the structuce effect the mechanism?
Reply 362
Original post by scientific222
Its been slowly creeping up, it was 63/80 in June 2012 and now 65/80 for Jan 2013's paper (which was real hard in my opinion). That is really insane considering its a paper where mistakes can be made so easily

I too am terrified about grade boundaries.
I hope this paper is very hard so the grade boundaries drop.
Reply 363
Going to open a forum for any questions on this so I can answer them all, look out for it.
Reply 364
Original post by Kenzo-k
Yeah but for reaction B theres 2 possible mechanisims depending on whether its a primary or tertiary halogenoalkane C4H9br.. Kinda confused why are there 2 and why does the structuce effect the mechanism?

If tertiary the c-br bond breaks, so a carbocation is formed and the OH- nucleiophile attacks the carbocation to form the alcohol

If its primary the OH- nucliophile adds to the halogen alkane first and then the c-br bond breaks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 365
What state is PI3?
Original post by posthumus
Alkane + Halogen (with UV rays) ----> Halogenoalkane

Halogenoalkane + NaOH -----> Alcohol + NaX

Alcohol + potassium dichromate -----> Carboxylic acid + H2O

[conditions being: dilute H2SO4... heat under reflux]

????? :colondollar:

Yah, nice one. :biggrin:
Reply 367
Original post by Jayqwe
What state is PI3?

Aqueous because it is made in moist conditions inorder to produce iodoalkane

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 368
Original post by HarryMWilliams
The 3 alkyl groups feed their electrons to the carbocation, hence, it forms a much more stable intermediate that primary and secondary alcohols, it's therefore more 'available' to react - the fact theres 3 alkyl groups also means the halogen group can leave easier. That's my understanding at least.

Very good. :biggrin:

But! You're missing a hydrogen in your haloalkane. :tongue:

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::s-smilie::s-smilie::s-smilie::angry: :frown: why you no type 3 why u type 2 only loser type 2... :cool::rolleyes::eek::colone::colondollar::colondollar::eek::cool::rolleyes::rolleyes::confused::confused:
Reply 369
I was a bit mean but not that bad, that said, I also hope the June paper is nicer. :tongue:

**January 2013 paper here!**

tnx so much, do you have the answers ?
Reply 370
Yah, nice one. :biggrin:

Just realized someone got it before me, damn it ! :redface: :biggrin:

I was a bit unsure about the second step... because it's not a tertiary alcohol. But I guess it goes under Sn2 mechanism instead anyway :tongue:
Original post by Goods
:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::s-smilie::s-smilie::s-smilie::angry: :frown: why you no type 3 why u type 2 only loser type 2... :cool::rolleyes::eek::colone::colondollar::colondollar::eek::cool::rolleyes::rolleyes::confused::confused:

Sorry, what?

Original post by Baraf
tnx so much, do you have the answers ?

MS is here: www.thestudentroom.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=203014‎

Original post by posthumus
Just realized someone got it before me, damn it ! :redface: :biggrin:

I was a bit unsure about the second step... because it's not a tertiary alcohol. But I guess it goes under Sn2 mechanism instead anyway :tongue:

It's all the same final product, effectively anyway. :tongue:
Reply 372
anyone is clear on what exactly an activated complex is? how does its formation mean a lower activation energy?
Reply 373
Original post by Kurraiyo
anyone is clear on what exactly an activated complex is? how does its formation mean a lower activation energy?

Its a transition stage that a reaction can occur by, like half breaking the bonds forming the activated complex then breaking the other half for completion. And so it requires less energy than a one stage mechanism
Reply 374
Original post by Goods
Its a transition stage that a reaction can occur by, like half breaking the bonds forming the activated complex then breaking the other half for completion. And so it requires less energy than a one stage mechanism

Is this in the sylabbus?

Posted from TSR Mobile
http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocuments/QP%20GCE%20Curriculum%202000/June%202009/6CH02_01_que_20090603.pdf I don't understand q10 b as I thought it will shift to the right and so increase yield? Thanks :smile:
Reply 376
Original post by Priya08
Is this in the sylabbus?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Theres a paragraph about them in reference to SN2 mechanisms in a chemistry book I have. I don't think we would get a question about it
Reply 377
Original post by SophieL1996
http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocuments/QP%20GCE%20Curriculum%202000/June%202009/6CH02_01_que_20090603.pdf I don't understand q10 b as I thought it will shift to the right and so increase yield? Thanks :smile:

3 moles ----> 5 moles

Decreasing the pressure causes EQM to oppose this change and side with the greater moles therefore moves forward

So yield increases but rate decreases as pressure is decreasing and less collision occurs between particles

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 378
Original post by SophieL1996

decrease in pressure, therefore the equilibrium point shifts to the left to produce more moles of gas.
Reply 379
Original post by Priya08
3 moles ----> 5 moles
Posted from TSR Mobile

only consider moles of gas.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending