The Student Room Group

Edexcel 6BIO2 ~ 3rd June 2013 ~ AS Biology

Scroll to see replies

Reply 800
Original post by 344302
Unit 1 was heaven sent, some how got amazing marks!!

I have a feeling unit 2 is going to be hell on paper. Not looking forward to it at all

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did the Jan 2013 Unit 1 in my mock ups, got 77/80. On the actual June 2013 paper than I sat for, however, I probably won't get more than 65/80. And the boundaries are just getting higher all the time. :'(
Reply 801
85% on specimen paper, though it was quite specific :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kurraiyo
I did the Jan 2013 Unit 1 in my mock ups, got 77/80. On the actual June 2013 paper than I sat for, however, I probably won't get more than 65/80. And the boundaries are just getting higher all the time. :'(

My school found unit 1 hard this june. i'm sure if you got 65 thats defo be an A.
Original post by kevsamuel
I only got a B in Unit 1, I really do hope that this paper is going to be relatively easy!
Trying to balance out studying for Chemistry and Biology is too damn hard!

hahaha be happy! here it's bio2 chem2 n phy2 :/
Original post by Branny101
85% on specimen paper, though it was quite specific :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

68 marks, impressive :h:

It was very different, and some of the points were just weird.

N.B: What did you get in January for unit 1 may i ask?
I ll solve the specimen paper now!
Hoping for +65% :/
Reply 806
Original post by CoolRunner

Thanks dude I've been working quite hard aha :smile: hopefully everything will be cool Monday *crosses fingers*;

Yeah sure I got a B in Jan and resat it a few days ago.

I wish you the best of luck in your studies dude, what did you get in Jan and for the specimen? :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
im actually scared to solve the speciman :/ so might leave it out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 808
Original post by Rubyturner94
im actually scared to solve the speciman :/ so might leave it out.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, definitely try it. It's good practice and its probably the only paper you haven't done, right? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 809
Can somebody post a link for this specimen paper please

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 810
I got 83% (rounding up) on the specimen paper?? I wasn't expecting that after everyone said it was hard, but I am quite happy with that! Do they have grade boundaries for specimen papers?
Reply 811

After u do all the Edexcel past papers what do you do ?

Do you use papers pre 2008 ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
No, definitely try it. It's good practice and its probably the only paper you haven't done, right? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

im quite behind on biology :frown: i have only done 2 past papers, hoping to do 2-3 more tonighy including learning all the practicals.
have been focusing on chemistry and Fmaths, i really do hate biology :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kurraiyo
Crossing over and independent assortment are two processes which greatly increases the genetic variety in gametes formed by meiosis.

Crossing over: Happens during meiosis 1. basically large enzymes cut off bits of maternal and paternal chromosomes and swap them around. Of course this only happens between homologous pairs of chromosomes, so that they still have the same genes, just different combinations of alleles. The points where the chromosomes break off are called chiasmata.
This leads to variation in two ways: 1. the exchange of genetic material in itself leads to added genetic variation. 2. errors in this process lead to mutations which introduce new alleles into the gene pool of a particular species.

Independent assortment: So basically you have TWO sets of chromosomes, 23 from your mom and 23 from your dad (46 in total). Now when meiosis takes place, the gametes formed have only ONE set of chromosomes (23 in total). During meiosis the maternal and paternal chromosomes are distributed into the gametes completely at random. This means that each gamete may contain any number from 0-23 of either your maternal or paternal chromosomes. So no two gametes are identical.

The independent assortment bit is really difficult to explain, I hope it helped though.

Awesome! Thankyou very much, you were a great help :smile:
Thanks dude I've been working quite hard aha :smile: hopefully everything will be cool Monday *crosses fingers*;

Yeah sure I got a B in Jan and resat it a few days ago.

I wish you the best of luck in your studies dude, what did you get in Jan and for the specimen? :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks bro! :wink: I hope we all smash Mondays exam and and finally take a break from biology (still got chemistry and physics to go)

I did great in jan 79 marks, 120UMS :biggrin:

The specimen i got 54 marks, Not to bad, considering i haven't exactly mimicked the markscheme yet, hopefully by the end of this week, that would be sorted out :smile:
Reply 815
Original post by Rubyturner94
im quite behind on biology :frown: i have only done 2 past papers, hoping to do 2-3 more tonighy including learning all the practicals.
have been focusing on chemistry and Fmaths, i really do hate biology :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

I too have two more exams to revise for but try to keep it a part of your schedule at least, its worth it :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by diggy
After u do all the Edexcel past papers what do you do ?

Do you use papers pre 2008 ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

So far:

Did january 2009 all the way up to january 2013.

Today i redid some 2009 and 2010 to refresh my memory.

Today i also did the specimen, which was a b****! 54/80, quite hard.

Ill do some pre 2009 tomorrow. I'm so tired lol.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 817
Original post by diggy
Can somebody post a link for this specimen paper please

Posted from TSR Mobile

There's one on page 36 of this thread :smile:
Reply 818
Thanks bro! :wink: I hope we all smash Mondays exam and and finally take a break from biology (still got chemistry and physics to go)

I did great in jan 79 marks, 120UMS :biggrin:

The specimen i got 54 marks, Not to bad, considering i haven't exactly mimicked the markscheme yet, hopefully by the end of this week, that would be sorted out :smile:

Ahh wow man, give me some tips - and yeah its mostly learning and understanding the mark scheme and reports :smile:

And yeah man, I've got the same exams ( DM/ private message me as this is getting off topic but what boards are the exams with? :ahee:)
80% on specimen paper!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending