The Student Room Group

What do you want to know about Cambridge?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4640
Original post by ratio
Email the admissions tutor or whoever you've been liaising with in the admissions office - usually an admissions secretary or something like that. Don't worry about silly questions; they are used to dealing with all sorts. And, no, your offer won't be revoked for them!

No, it's not that bad. My predicament is mostly self inflicted. You already know all the "you wouldn't be admitted if you weren't capable" stuff. Personally, I study one of the heavier subjects and I've managed a fairly full schedule outside of work. I eat and sleep a decent amount, exam term or not. I sleep less well in exam term because I'm stressed but I still (usually) go to bed at sane hours.

It depends on you: if you want to be entirely consumed in work all the time, it is all too easy to do that; if you are averse to anything but the most humane work schedule, that too is possible. You can't get the balance right all the time. Some weeks will be more stressful than others. Exam term is pretty full on but that is to be expected. I should add that (I think) few people get really good at their subject without a great deal of time and effort. Again, depends on you.

Thank you. The exams are ongoing. On that note, I should get off the internet.

Thank you for reassuring me and I was just being silly about the revoking of the offer :P ...though it is Cambridge, they are known to work in mysterious ways!

I still think they made a mistake giving me an offer as I completely failed my interview, but I guess I have good UMS marks so that probably counts for something :smile: One of the 'heavier subjects', you'd probably count medicine as one of those right? :redface: I guess you're studying economics or maths from your username :P That's reassuring! It's worrying to see how a friend of mine at Oxford only gets around 2 hours of sleep during exam term :redface:

Thanks again for all your help and advice, it's very much appreciated! :smile: I think I should do the same, as I have my A level exams next week which probably don't compare to your exams, but they do require a fair bit of work! :redface:
Original post by Scramble
Haha :smile: When are your exams? Everyone has been telling me that the workload is unimaginable at Cambridge, but is it really that bad? My parents have been really concerned about my well-being, but during exam time, you do have sufficient time to eat and sleep right? ...I wish you the best in your exams and try to enjoy yourself!

I'm a law finalist almost out of the woods, so I'm just about qualified to answer! By tomorrow, I'll have had five exams this week ([1 x 3 hours] Mon, [1 x 3 hours] Wed, [2 x 2 hours] Thurs, [1 x 3 hours] Fri) so I'm feeling fairly sleep-deprived, but overall it's not too bad. The exams are tough, but doable - even with my timetable! - I think it's just that people (me included before my first exam) think "OMG it's Cambridge, so they'll be impossibly hard". In practice, your lecturers and supervisors should have prepared you well all year, and you'll know the material better at the end since you can see how parts interlink, so it's not too bad. If anything, a hard paper benefits everyone since you're all marked up to take the difficulty into account - it's much more difficult to "ace" an easy paper! :p:

Exam term welfare is important though, and that's a whole other post.
Reply 4642
Original post by Tortious
If anything, a hard paper benefits everyone since you're all marked up to take the difficulty into account - it's much more difficult to "ace" an easy paper! :p:

Couldn't agree more with the first sentence :tongue:
Query resolved, thanks :biggrin:.
What I wanted is here.
Reply 4644
I'm a law finalist almost out of the woods, so I'm just about qualified to answer! By tomorrow, I'll have had five exams this week ([1 x 3 hours] Mon, [1 x 3 hours] Wed, [2 x 2 hours] Thurs, [1 x 3 hours] Fri) so I'm feeling fairly sleep-deprived, but overall it's not too bad. The exams are tough, but doable - even with my timetable! - I think it's just that people (me included before my first exam) think "OMG it's Cambridge, so they'll be impossibly hard". In practice, your lecturers and supervisors should have prepared you well all year, and you'll know the material better at the end since you can see how parts interlink, so it's not too bad. If anything, a hard paper benefits everyone since you're all marked up to take the difficulty into account - it's much more difficult to "ace" an easy paper! :p:

Ooh that sounds exciting, have you got (m)any plans for the future?! :tongue: Oh dear, that exam timetable sounds hellish. Thanks for being so reassuring, I suppose people feel that way about exams because firstly you're at Cambridge, coupled with the fact that most people will be cleverer than you...then I'm not surprised that people have the perception that exams are uber difficult! I think I'm probably most concerned about all the essay writing that I'll have to do, as I don't think I've written an essay since GCSE English :tongue: That sounds a little bit like A levels, with the whole moderation of grade boundaries if it's a hard paper! Are most subject exam timetables similar to yours? Just wondering how similar the Medicine one would be to yours :tongue:

I really ought to focus on my forthcoming exams, or I won't be able to experience the joys of Cambridge next year...where it all starts again, for 6 years :redface:

EDIT: I went a little bit OTT with the :tongue: emoticon! :tongue:
I'm a law finalist almost out of the woods, so I'm just about qualified to answer!

You're a finalist now? :eek: I remember when you were a pre-Fresher...

Anyway, good luck with your remaining exams! :h:
Ooh that sounds exciting, have you got (m)any plans for the future?! :tongue: Oh dear, that exam timetable sounds hellish. Thanks for being so reassuring, I suppose people feel that way about exams because firstly you're at Cambridge, coupled with the fact that most people will be cleverer than you...then I'm not surprised that people have the perception that exams are uber difficult! I think I'm probably most concerned about all the essay writing that I'll have to do, as I don't think I've written an essay since GCSE English :tongue: That sounds a little bit like A levels, with the whole moderation of grade boundaries if it's a hard paper! Are most subject exam timetables similar to yours? Just wondering how similar the Medicine one would be to yours :tongue:

I really ought to focus on my forthcoming exams, or I won't be able to experience the joys of Cambridge next year...where it all starts again, for 6 years :redface:

Medicine has more exams, though they are slightly shorter. IIRC, for the first two years for each subject it's a 1 hour MCQ paper, 2 hours practical exam and 2 hours essays, usually split over a couple of days.
are there any girls with headcarves (muslims ) at Cambridge. I feel like i would be an outsider if i apply :/
Reply 4648
[h="1"]Are my a levels soft for cambridge?[/h]Im doing History,English, Psychology and Sociology .My personal tutor said History and English are considered very good subjects if you want to apply for History but i personally think Cambridge is going to refuse me because of Sociology and Psychology ,do you think its a good idea if i take Maths next year,as an intensive course-doing AS and A2 in the same year?
Or do you think my subjects are fine to read History in university?
I'd apreciate your help,because if its not necessary then why would i waste all that money on maths next year.I dont know what to do :-(
Reply 4649
Original post by arminb
[h="1"]Are my a levels soft for cambridge?[/h]Im doing History,English, Psychology and Sociology .My personal tutor said History and English are considered very good subjects if you want to apply for History but i personally think Cambridge is going to refuse me because of Sociology and Psychology ,do you think its a good idea if i take Maths next year,as an intensive course-doing AS and A2 in the same year?
I'd apreciate your help,because if its not necessary then why would i waste all that money on maths next year.I dont know what to do :-(

I would take maths over sociology if I were you. However I don't particularly think going for a accelerated course is necessary unless you are going to do further maths next year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Secretnerd123
are there any girls with headcarves (muslims ) at Cambridge. I feel like i would be an outsider if i apply :/

Plenty, there are at least 5 I recognise from my year in medicine. And it's a largely friendly place, so from students at least you won't be judged for wearing it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4651

One of my best friends is a second year medic. The medic timetable is a bit brutal with more than a few exams on consecutive days. They all seem to manage just fine though!

Good luck with the A-level exams. :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4652
Original post by Goods
I would take maths over sociology if I were you. However I don't particularly think going for a accelerated course is necessary unless you are going to do further maths next year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

its going to be very difficult to do maths in one year but if that gives me a significant chance, then its worth it. I was actually planing to drop Psychology as Sociology seems more relevant to History, dont you think?
Reply 4653
Original post by arminb
its going to be very difficult to do maths in one year but if that gives me a significant chance, then its worth it. I was actually planing to drop Psychology as Sociology seems more relevant to History, dont you think?

http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=604

It only gives you a better chance of you can average 93% which cynically would be more likely only doing AS maths which for an arts subject would be fine

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4654
Original post by Goods
http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=604

It only gives you a better chance of you can average 93% which cynically would be more likely only doing AS maths which for an arts subject would be fine

Posted from TSR Mobile

I didnt quite get what you meant :confused:
enlighten me
:colondollar:
Original post by arminb
Are my a levels soft for cambridge?

Im doing History,English, Psychology and Sociology .My personal tutor said History and English are considered very good subjects if you want to apply for History but i personally think Cambridge is going to refuse me because of Sociology and Psychology ,do you think its a good idea if i take Maths next year,as an intensive course-doing AS and A2 in the same year?

I would contact the admissions tutor for the course you are most interested in for next year. It's exactly the type of question they are there to answer. Generally, they are likely to prefer Maths, but assuming you are applying for sept 2014, they will only have this year's AS results to go on when thinking about offering you an interview. You definitely need to ask before doing anything major this Sept with your A levels.

Maths AS and A level in one year is perfectly possible, that's what many Further Maths courses do, but you'd need to be really motivated and sure it as the right thing to do.
Original post by arminb

From the point of view of admissions, psychology is just about a non-weak subject. Sociology on the other hand screams pseudoscience, even if that is entirely incorrect. I'd take the maths and drop the sociology if I were you!
Reply 4657
Original post by arminb
I didnt quite get what you meant :confused:
enlighten me
:colondollar:

You are judged on your marks. You want to study history and so you want to focus on getting as near to full marks in history. If you took accelerated maths you would need to get a very high A or an A*. This would require lots of work possibly affecting your marks in history. They want the best history students so that should be your focus then use your other subjects to back up your academics. Email an admissions tutor if your concerned

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Secretnerd123

Yes. Not loads, but a noticeable number, especially at the all-girls' colleges. You might get a few curious questions but serious discrimination is very unlikely.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by arminb

It's better to get good grades in 'soft' subjects then Bs or Cs in 'hard' subjects.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending