The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 260
Original post by nukethemaly
I'm doing the Jan 2013 paper right now, and this is ridiculous, they've literally picked up questions WORD TO WORD, even calculations from the old spec past papers. I'm just sitting here going "are u kidding me"

Do you mean they have repeated old spec questions in new papers?! :redface:
Original post by ambbs
Do you mean they have repeated old spec questions in new papers?! :redface:

Hahaha you sound happy. Yeah they have just a few though. I doubt they'd do it again especially during summer when more than half the country is doing it.
Reply 262
Hahaha you sound happy. Yeah they have just a few though. I doubt they'd do it again especially during summer when more than half the country is doing it.

It just surprised me that they actually did that! I suppose there's only so much content though that stuff's bound to be repeated (although right now during revision it feels like there's an endless amount of content!) Might glance over some of the old spec papers tomorrow then :smile:
Reply 263
I'm doing the Jan 2013 paper right now, and this is ridiculous, they've literally picked up questions WORD TO WORD, even calculations from the old spec past papers. I'm just sitting here going "are u kidding me"

I'm doing each paper twice and finishing these papers soon, then I'll go over some for a third time, then if there's time, I'll see the old spec ones, so I'm not there yet! Congrats, you finished a number of papers and so are in a good positions:wink:
Reply 264
Can anybody explain how to do January 2013 q4ci please?
Reply 265
WTF I opened a legacy zip file, opened a question paper and there's chemistry by design and chemistry of materials. Where's F332 legacy papers?
Reply 266
Original post by krisshP
Can anybody explain how to do January 2013 q4ci please?

Awh krishhy mate :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 267
Why do instantaneous dipole-induced dipole forces strengthen when the atomic radius/electron shielding gets higher?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AGKhan
Why do instantaneous dipole-induced dipole forces strengthen when the atomic radius/electron shielding gets higher?

Posted from TSR Mobile

As the atomic radius increases, the atom has more electrons (which causes the increase in radius). As a result of the atom having more electrons, it can produce stronger (more is not accepted in f332 mark schemes) intermolecular bonds (i.e instantaneous dipole-induced dipole forces). The same goes for electron shielding, as atomic radius and electron shielding increase with each other if you get me.
Reply 269

Hey how do you know that ammonia NH3 is very soluble in water? Is it because N is highly electronegative, so N has a Delta - charge and H has a + and there's a lone pair on N, so hydrogen bond can form between water and ammonia NH3?

Thanks
Original post by krisshP
Hey how do you know that ammonia NH3 is very soluble in water? Is it because N is highly electronegative, so N has a Delta - charge and H has a + and there's a lone pair on N, so hydrogen bond can form between water and ammonia NH3?

Thanks

NH3 is highly soluble in water because:

N is a small and highly electronegative atom causing partial charges on N and H
Ammonia contains a lone pair on the N, a condition required for hydrogen bonding
Therefore H bonds can be formed between ammonia and water so it is soluble

Reply 271
Original post by MintCrepz
NH3 is highly soluble in water because:

N is a small and highly electronegative atom causing partial charges on N and H
Ammonia contains a lone pair on the N, a condition required for hydrogen bonding
Therefore H bonds can be formed between ammonia and water so it is soluble

Thanks, I get it now :smile:
Reply 272
Can somebody please explain how this reaction is propagation
N2O + O --> N2 + O2

How can it be a propagation reaction if there's just a radical on the reactants side? Isn't it termination?

Thanks
Reply 273
Original post by krisshP
Can somebody please explain how this reaction is propagation
N2O + O --> N2 + O2

How can it be a propagation reaction if there's just a radical on the reactants side? Isn't it termination?

Thanks

It's termination if the reactants are radicals and react to form molecules.
Reply 274
Original post by super121
It's termination if the reactants are radicals and react to form molecules.

So that reaction is termination right since O is a radical on reactants and no radicals form?
Reply 275
Original post by krisshP
So that reaction is termination right since O is a radical on reactants and no radicals form?

It should be two radicals that react together :s-smilie:
Original post by krisshP
Thanks, I get it now :smile:

Yeah exactly what Mint says. Just say that the lone pair on N allows the partially charged hydrogen to line up/bond with it
Reply 277
Say if they say describe how hydrogen bonds form. Is this okay

Lone pair on oxygen attracted to hydrogen with a delta + charge.

I don't get what attracts what. Does the oxygen attract hydrogen? Or does the hydrogen attract oxygen? Or does hydrogen attract the lone pair on oxygen? Or what?

Thanks
Original post by krisshP
Say if they say describe how hydrogen bonds form. Is this okay

Lone pair on oxygen attracted to hydrogen with a delta + charge.

I don't get what attracts what. Does the oxygen attract hydrogen? Or does the hydrogen attract oxygen? Or does hydrogen attract the lone pair on oxygen? Or what?

Thanks

It's the delta + charge on hydrogen that's strongly attracted to lone pair on O, F, or N

also, this will help clear everything up: http://www.chemguide.co.uk/atoms/bonding/hbond.html
Reply 279
It's the delta + charge on hydrogen that's strongly attracted to lone pair on O, F, or N

also, this will help clear everything up: http://www.chemguide.co.uk/atoms/bonding/hbond.html

Oh the hydrogen has a delta + and is attracted to the lone pair on oxygen.

Thanks

Btw it says in the spec that we have to know about batch and continuous production, but it had not come up on past papers. What do they want us to know about it an what even is batch and continuous? Advantages and disadvantages o each method?

Thanks

Latest

Trending

Trending