The Student Room Group

OCR A2 LAW G153 Criminal Law 1 - June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 360
Original post by jool
I have also neglected history which I have on Monday. :frown: After today law is being put to the side until Monday PM, my history exam is on the Triumph and Collapse of the USSR 1941-1991! Good luck in both of your exams.

Cheers, you too. My history exam is on the Cold War 1945-1990. Both the USA and the USSR. How many of the law topics would you say you are confident on?
(edited 10 years ago)
Hi

This is one of my exams (next Thursday obviously), but I'm really struggling.

Basically does anyone have an easy way of remembering all the components to a crime and discussion points, eg. murder? I can recall bits and pieces of each but wouldn't know where to start on remembering all the bits to comment on, especially not for 50 marks.

Cheers
Reply 362
Original post by dreamerdeceiver
Hi

This is one of my exams (next Thursday obviously), but I'm really struggling.

Basically does anyone have an easy way of remembering all the components to a crime and discussion points, eg. murder? I can recall bits and pieces of each but wouldn't know where to start on remembering all the bits to comment on, especially not for 50 marks.

Cheers

Go through definition for each topic and try to remember it. There isn't much you can do apart from memorise that. However when you are remembering cases, learn one or two key words for the facts and then do the same with the principle for that case. Read over your AO2 and do it until certain points stick. Then again with that break each criticism into small phrases. Hope this helps, it works for me :smile:
Reply 363
Original post by qr95
What do you find more easy history or law

Law definitely, I don't know why, it just seems to stick more.

Original post by Ben1695
Cheers, you too. My history exam is on the Cold War 1945-1990. Both the USA and the USSR. How many of the law topics would you say you are confident on?

Very similar then, we'll probably end up writing similar stuff! In regard to law, I'm not completely confident on things yet, but I will be by the exam when I go through my notes on everything again a few more times. The topics that I would be comfortable answering questions on at this very moment would probably be omissions, causation, attempts, intoxication, both forms of manslaughter and non-fatal offences. Still need to go over oblique intent, recklessness, strict liability, duress and property offences before I'm totally comfortable on them. Definitely feel a lot more prepared for law than I do for history though! :frown: I wish it was the other way round as I need a lot more in history for an A overall.
Original post by Ben1695
Go through definition for each topic and try to remember it. There isn't much you can do apart from memorise that. However when you are remembering cases, learn one or two key words for the facts and then do the same with the principle for that case. Read over your AO2 and do it until certain points stick. Then again with that break each criticism into small phrases. Hope this helps, it works for me :smile:

Cheers, I'll give it a go.

Just another one, and it's a poor indicator, but how many sides of writing should suffice for 50 marks? I'm not exactly clear what gains you a mark or if it's done in blocks per point and relevant act / case.
Attached my practice intoxication essay, if anyone would like to leave any feedback it would be appreciated and feel free to use it to help you :smile:
Cheers, I'll give it a go.

Just another one, and it's a poor indicator, but how many sides of writing should suffice for 50 marks? I'm not exactly clear what gains you a mark or if it's done in blocks per point and relevant act / case.

About 3-4 sides I reckon depending on size of handwriting and word spacing.
Reply 367
What prediction have your teachers made lets everyone compare so we can priortise those

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 368
Original post by jool
Law definitely, I don't know why, it just seems to stick more.

Very similar then, we'll probably end up writing similar stuff! In regard to law, I'm not completely confident on things yet, but I will be by the exam when I go through my notes on everything again a few more times. The topics that I would be comfortable answering questions on at this very moment would probably be omissions, causation, attempts, intoxication, both forms of manslaughter and non-fatal offences. Still need to go over oblique intent, recklessness, strict liability, duress and property offences before I'm totally comfortable on them. Definitely feel a lot more prepared for law than I do for history though! :frown: I wish it was the other way round as I need a lot more in history for an A overall.

I've spent a lot of time today on history and am feeling more confident with that. For Law I am confident on Omissions, Causation, Duress, Consent, DR, R&B, Theft and Assaults. I don't know everything for these topics but understand the bulk especially if I go over it again. I'm struggling with intoxication, recklessness and intention and according to my teacher they are likely. I'm hoping not though haha. I need to practice my application on Section B and C's as well, its going to be a boring and tough week. :frown:
Reply 369
Original post by Ben1695
I've spent a lot of time today on history and am feeling more confident with that. For Law I am confident on Omissions, Causation, Duress, Consent, DR, R&B, Theft and Assaults. I don't know everything for these topics but understand the bulk especially if I go over it again. I'm struggling with intoxication, recklessness and intention and according to my teacher they are likely. I'm hoping not though haha. I need to practice my application on Section B and C's as well, its going to be a boring and tough week. :frown:

Sorry for butting it but I couldn't help but Notice you said you struggling on intention. I've got some sheets my teachers made for us and I'll post them on here tomorrow :')

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 370
Original post by fats_12
Sorry for butting it but I couldn't help but Notice you said you struggling on intention. I've got some sheets my teachers made for us and I'll post them on here tomorrow :')

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, wouldn't mind some help. I've got quite a few notes if you are struggling on anything
I know Intoxication like the back of my hand as it was this January's special study. I'm generally OK on robbery, theft and burglary and defences / causation; but murder and others like that are a major sticking point...
Reply 372
Original post by Ben1695
Thanks, wouldn't mind some help. I've got quite a few notes if you are struggling on anything

Intoxication and attempts? Hopefully I'll tackle those tomorrow !

Posted from TSR Mobile
It may help some - my teacher predicted consent will come up as a 50 marker. Apparently it hasn't been asked in a long while...
Reply 374
It may help some - my teacher predicted consent will come up as a 50 marker. Apparently it hasn't been asked in a long while...

I've just done the essay today and its pretty straight forward
Reply 375
[QUOTE="fats_12;42882050"]Intoxication and attempts? Hopefully I'll tackle those tomorrow !

Posted from TSR Mobile[/QUOTE

I haven't looked at intoxication yet, was going to do that tomorrow but if you go back to page 17 I posted an attempts essay which is between 45-50 marks. My teacher marked it
Original post by Ben1695
I've just done the essay today and its pretty straight forward

Indeed. It and causation are for me the easiest to write about, and also the easiest to recall.

Does anybody know, say for example you cite murder's definition 'the unlawful killing of a reasonable...' or act / subsection and get it wrong, how many marks it typically loses?
Reply 378
Indeed. It and causation are for me the easiest to write about, and also the easiest to recall.

Does anybody know, say for example you cite murder's definition 'the unlawful killing of a reasonable...' or act / subsection and get it wrong, how many marks it typically loses?

One or two marks. Are you talking abou Lord Coke's definition. The unlawful killing of a reasonable creature under the queens peace
Yep, the unlawful killing of a reasonable person in being under the King's peace with malice aforethought, express or implied.

Thanks for the info. Think what I'll do is just get the Mens Rea and Actus Reus down for everything, then list any relevant acts, cases and talking points for each. If I get out of this exam with anything more than a C it will be a miracle. Mercifully I look like I may be able to claw History from a C to a B so that might compensate...

Quick Reply

Latest