The Student Room Group

The Proof is Trivial!

Scroll to see replies

Solution 169

0π2xcotxdx=0π2lnsinx=πln22\displaystyle \int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}} x\cot x\,dx=-\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\ln \sin x=\frac{\pi \ln 2}{2}

Solution 170

Let t=sin2θ:t=\sin^2 \theta:

0π2sin2x1θcos2y1θdθ=1201tx1(1t)y1dt=12B(x,y)=Γ(x)Γ(y)2Γ(x+y)\displaystyle \int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \sin^{2x-1}\theta \cos^{2y-1}\theta \,d\theta =\frac{1}{2}\int_0^1 t^{x-1}(1-t)^{y-1}\,dt=\frac{1}{2}\,\text{B} \left(x,y\right)=\frac{\Gamma (x)\Gamma (y)}{2\,\Gamma (x+y)}

Using the infinite product def. for Γ:\Gamma:

0π2sin2x1θcos2y1θdθ=(12xy)(1x+y)1n1(1+n1)x1+xn1n1(1+n1)y1+yn1n1((1+n1)x+y1+(x+y)n1)=x+y2xyn1(1+x+yn)(1+yn)1(1+xn)1=x+y2xyn1(1+xyn(x+y+n))1\displaystyle\begin{aligned} \int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \sin^{2x-1}\theta \cos^{2y-1}\theta \,d\theta &=\left(\frac{1}{2xy} \right) \left( \frac{1}{x+y} \right)^{-1} \frac{\displaystyle\prod_{n\geq 1}\frac{(1+n^{-1})^x}{1+xn^{-1}} \prod_{n\geq 1}\frac{(1+n^{-1})^y}{1+yn^{-1}}}{\displaystyle\prod_{n\geq 1}\left(\frac{(1+n^{-1})^{x+y}}{1+(x+y)n^{-1}}\right)}\\&= \frac{x+y}{2xy} \prod_{n\geq 1} \left(1+ \frac{x+y}{n} \right) \left(1+\frac{y}{n} \right)^{-1} \left(1+ \frac{x}{n} \right)^{-1}\\&=\frac{x+y}{2xy}\prod_{n \geq 1} \left(1+\frac{xy}{n(x+y+n)} \right)^{-1}\end{aligned}

I'll leave the trig problem for those who wanted a (*) problem.

But f(λ)=0λxλ1dx(x3+1)2\displaystyle f'(\lambda)=\int_0^{\infty} \lambda \frac{x^{\lambda-1}\,dx}{(x^3+1)^2 }

Bro do you lift? f(λ)=xλlnxf'(\lambda) =x^{\lambda} \ln x
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Lord of the Flies
Solution 169

0π2xcotxdx=0π2lnsinx=πln22\displaystyle \int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}} x\cot x\,dx=-\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\ln \sin x=\frac{\pi \ln 2}{2}

I love how you've shown all your working :wink:

Seriously, if I ever see you, don't take the first 15 minutes of swearing personally.
Original post by Zakee
Problem 169*/** (Finally a question that normal people can do without Stokes' theorem or Lagrange multipliers).

This is a short but simple problem for you guys (your mathematical ability is far more superior to mine). Did take me a fair time though to realize what to do, but it was nice.

Prove the following result:

[br][br][br]cosπ7cos2π7+cos3π7=12.[br][br][br]\cos \frac{\pi}{7} - \cos \frac{2\pi}{7}+\cos \frac{3\pi}{7} = \frac{1}{2}.

Solution 171:

cos(πx)=cosπcosx+sinπsinx cos(\pi - x) = cos \pi cosx + sin \pi sinx

cos(πx)=cosx cos(\pi - x) = -cosx

So we have:

cosπ7=cos6π7 cos\frac{\pi }{7} = - cos\frac{6\pi }{7}

cos2π7=cos5π7 cos\frac{2\pi }{7} = -cos\frac{5\pi }{7}

cos3π7=cos4π7 cos\frac{3\pi }{7} = -cos\frac{4\pi }{7}

So we have:

cosπ7cos2π7+cos3π7=cosπ7+cos3π7+cos5π7 \cos \frac{\pi}{7} - \cos \frac{2\pi}{7}+\cos \frac{3\pi}{7} = \cos \frac{\pi}{7} + \cos \frac{3\pi}{7}+\cos \frac{5\pi}{7}

We can then evaluate this using De Moivre's theorem:

cosπ7+cos3π7+cos5π7=(eiπ7(1+ei2π7+ei4π7)) \cos \frac{\pi}{7} + \cos \frac{3\pi}{7}+\cos \frac{5\pi}{7} = \Re ( e^{\frac{i \pi }{7}}(1+e^\frac{i 2 \pi }{7}+e^\frac{i 4\pi }{7} ))

=(eiπ7(1ei6π71ei2π7)) = \Re ( e^\frac{i \pi }{7}( \dfrac{1-e^\frac{i 6\pi }{7}}{1-e^\frac{i 2\pi }{7}}))

=(1+ei6π7eiπ7eiπ7)) = \Re ( \dfrac{-1+e^\frac{i 6\pi }{7}}{e^\frac{i \pi }{7}-e^\frac{i -\pi }{7}}))

=(1cosiπ7+isiniπ72isinπ7) = \Re ( \dfrac{-1-cos\frac{i \pi }{7}+isin\frac{i \pi }{7}}{2isin\frac{\pi }{7}} )

= 12 \frac{1}{2}
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by bananarama2
I love how you've shown all your working :wink:

Seriously, if I ever see you, don't take the first 15 minutes of swearing personally.

The first part is IBP using u = x and dv/dx = cotx. The second part is more complicated (A couple of π2x \frac{\pi }{2} - x substitutions in order to obtain the result, has come up in STEP before) but I'll type it up if you want it.
Original post by DJMayes
The first part is IBP using u = x and dv/dx = cotx. The second part is more complicated (A couple of π2x \frac{\pi }{2} - x substitutions in order to obtain the result, has come up in STEP before) but I'll type it up if you want it.

Pretty similar to solution 35...:colone:
Original post by DJMayes

I see how to do it, it's just it's not overly clear :tongue:

Edit: but thankyou :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by shamika
LOLOLOLOLOLOL!

I actually don't understand the sentence though. If it's referring to the Gaussian error integral, surely the authors do know how Mathematica (successfully) computes the integral? :confused::confused::confused:

I think it (and the comment about it being in a collection of common integrals) is referring to the integral posed as the question.
Original post by bananarama2

LOL.

Something like this?

Spoiler

Reply 1108
Solution 169

But the difficulty of the question lies in the fact that, if you use integration by parts, you have [xln(sinx)]0π2\left[x \ln(\sin x) \right]_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}} which requires some thought to evaluate.

You must note that limx0xln(sinx)=limx0xln(x)=0\displaystyle \lim_{x \to 0} x \ln(\sin x) = \lim_{x \to 0} x \ln(x) = 0 which must be shown using calculus or some sort of clever approach.

Alternatively, there is another really nice approach that avoids this altogether!

Whilst it is, given its close links to other questions recently posted, acceptable to quote 0π2ln(sinx)dx\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \ln(\sin x) dx as a standard result, you need to remember that the things that you are omitting are the same sort of things that you get on STEP questions (i.e. using standard techniques and then reaching a roadblock) :lol:

That said, I have enjoyed using many of your solutions to learn new techniques! Especially since much of the work is "left for the reader" :lol:

Bro do you lift? f(λ)=xλlnxf'(\lambda) =x^{\lambda} \ln x

:facepalm: ****s sake, I should really hit the weights more...
Original post by Jkn
You must note that limx0xln(sinx)=limx0xln(x)=0\displaystyle \lim_{x \to 0} x \ln(\sin x) = \lim_{x \to 0} x \ln(x) = 0 which must be shown using calculus or some sort of clever approach.

I would be comfortable quoting that sort of thing anywhere, except in a first year analysis exam where the point is to make you prove everything rigorously. This kind of limit, where you are essentially using the fact that a logarithm is slower than a polynomial is common knowledge.

By making a leap from one correct statement to another, you're not lacking rigour (although you can argue you're lacking clarity, which is different).
Reply 1110
Original post by DJMayes
Solution 171:

cos(πx)=cosπcosx+sinπsinx cos(\pi - x) = cos \pi cosx + sin \pi sinx

cos(πx)=cosx cos(\pi - x) = -cosx

So we have:

cosπ7=cos6π7 cos\frac{\pi }{7} = - cos\frac{6\pi }{7}

cos2π7=cos5π7 cos\frac{2\pi }{7} = -cos\frac{5\pi }{7}

cos3π7=cos4π7 cos\frac{3\pi }{7} = -cos\frac{4\pi }{7}

So we have:

cosπ7cos2π7+cos3π7=cosπ7+cos3π7+cos5π7 \cos \frac{\pi}{7} - \cos \frac{2\pi}{7}+\cos \frac{3\pi}{7} = \cos \frac{\pi}{7} + \cos \frac{3\pi}{7}+\cos \frac{5\pi}{7}

We can then evaluate this using De Moivre's theorem:

cosπ7+cos3π7+cos5π7=(eiπ7(1+ei2π7+ei4π7)) \cos \frac{\pi}{7} + \cos \frac{3\pi}{7}+\cos \frac{5\pi}{7} = \Re ( e^{\frac{i \pi }{7}}(1+e^\frac{i 2 \pi }{7}+e^\frac{i 4\pi }{7} ))

=(eiπ7(1ei6π71ei2π7)) = \Re ( e^\frac{i \pi }{7}( \dfrac{1-e^\frac{i 6\pi }{7}}{1-e^\frac{i 2\pi }{7}}))

=(1eiπ7eiπ7eiπ7)) = \Re ( \dfrac{-1-e^\frac{i \pi }{7}}{e^\frac{i \pi }{7}-e^\frac{i -\pi }{7}}))

=(1cosiπ7isiniπ72isinπ7) = \Re ( \dfrac{-1-cos\frac{i \pi }{7}-isin\frac{i \pi }{7}}{2isin\frac{\pi }{7}} )

= 12 \frac{1}{2}

Very nice. I took a slightly different approach (I've not met De Moivre's yet - year 12), so here's my solution:

Using the same rules as above:

cos5π7=cos2π7\cos \frac{5\pi}{7} = -\cos \frac{2\pi}{7}

Therefore, the equation becomes:

cosπ7+cos3π7+cos5π7=12.\cos \frac{\pi}{7}+\cos \frac{3\pi}{7}+\cos \frac{5\pi}{7} = \frac{1}{2}.

We can now allow (a substitution), such that:

Y=cosπ7+cos3π7+cos5π7Y =\cos \frac{\pi}{7}+\cos \frac{3\pi}{7}+\cos \frac{5\pi}{7}

Using the following identity:

cosαsinβ=12(sin(α+β)sin(αβ)).\cos\alpha\cdot\sin\beta = \frac{1}{2}(sin(\alpha+\beta)-sin(\alpha-\beta)).

If we multiply YY by sinπ7\sin \frac{\pi}{7}

Using our identity, we achieve:

Ysinπ7=12(sin2π7+(sin(4π7)sin2π7)+(sin6π7sin4π7))Y\sin\frac{\pi}{7} = \frac{1}{2}({\sin\frac{2\pi}{7} + (\sin(\frac{4\pi}{7})-\sin\frac{2\pi}{7}) + (\sin\frac{6\pi}{7}-\sin\frac{4\pi}{7})})

Thus:

12(sin2π7+(sin(4π7)sin2π7)+(sin6π7sin4π7))=12(sin6π7) \frac{1}{2}({\sin\frac{2\pi}{7} + (\sin(\frac{4\pi}{7})-\sin\frac{2\pi}{7}) + (\sin\frac{6\pi}{7}-\sin\frac{4\pi}{7})}) = \frac{1}{2}(\sin\frac{6\pi}{7})

Using sin(πx)=sinxsin(\pi - x) = sinx

12(sin6π7)=12(sinπ7) \frac{1}{2}(\sin\frac{6\pi}{7}) = \frac{1}{2}(\sin\frac{\pi}{7})

As LHS = RHS (after simplification)

Ysinπ7=12(sinπ7)Y\sin\frac{\pi}{7} = \frac{1}{2}(\sin\frac{\pi}{7})

Dividing both sides by sinπ7\sin\frac{\pi}{7}

Y=12Y = \frac{1}{2}

As Y=cosπ7+cos3π7+cos5π7Y =\cos \frac{\pi}{7}+\cos \frac{3\pi}{7}+\cos \frac{5\pi}{7}

and cosπ7+cos3π7+cos5π7=cosπ7cos2π7+cos3π7\cos \frac{\pi}{7}+\cos \frac{3\pi}{7}+\cos \frac{5\pi}{7} = \cos \frac{\pi}{7}-\cos \frac{2\pi}{7}+\cos \frac{3\pi}{7}

cosπ7cos2π7+cos3π7=12\cos \frac{\pi}{7}-\cos \frac{2\pi}{7}+\cos \frac{3\pi}{7} = \frac{1}{2}

(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Jkn
They're nothing difficult! The justification/adjusting is often excruciatingly tedious and difficult but with theorem like the Leibniz Integral Rule (aka. Feynman Integration aka. "Differentiating under the integral sign") you need only apply it without much thought (though you must assure the function is continuous in the relevant range - as usual) so it's definitely worth learning! Wikipedia is a good place to start, that's where I found a lot of these problems in fact :lol:

In a nut shell: αf(α,x)\frac{\partial}{\partial \alpha} f(\alpha, x) is done by assuming all other variables except the subject of your partial differentiation are constant.

Spoiler

Doesn't seem to bad thanks.
Original post by Jkn
But f(λ)=0λxλ1dx(x3+1)2\displaystyle f'(\lambda)=\int_0^{\infty} \lambda \frac{x^{\lambda-1}\,dx}{(x^3+1)^2 } ? :confused: But we havent proved that this would be equal to the thing with the log in? Have I missed something? :confused:

On your marks...
Get set...

Problem 169*/**/*** (Looks friendly... at first)

Evaluate 0π2xcot(x)dx\displaystyle\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}}x\cot(x) dx

Problem 170​***

Prove that 0π2(sinθ)2x1(cosθ)2y1dθ=x+y2xyn=1(1+xyn(x+y+n))1\displaystyle \int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}} (\sin \theta)^{2x-1} (\cos \theta)^{2y-1} d\theta = \frac{x+y}{2xy} \prod_{n=1}^{\infty} \left(1+\frac{xy}{n(x+y+n)} \right)^{-1}

Problem 169 is STEP III 1991 Q7. In the STEP on you are lead through it a bit though i suppose.
Disprove my claim by counterexample then :wink:

What about problem 140? :lol: Unless the Basel problem's on the A-level spec, though I do take your point, some of these things could - hypothetically be done, but emphasis on hypothetical :teehee:
Reply 1114
Original post by bogstandardname
Problem 169 is STEP III 1991 Q7. In the STEP on you are lead through it a bit though i suppose.

Original post by shamika
I would be comfortable quoting that sort of thing anywhere, except in a first year analysis exam where the point is to make you prove everything rigorously. This kind of limit, where you are essentially using the fact that a logarithm is slower than a polynomial is common knowledge.

By making a leap from one correct statement to another, you're not lacking rigour (although you can argue you're lacking clarity, which is different).

Oh I didn't know it was a STEP question! But yeah, I've just had a look and it kind of illustrates my point that a one-line solution is not particularly appropriate.

I was sure someone would do the easier way but I was hoping someone would relish the opportunity to practice a bit of Feynman Integration (i.e. the **/*** solution) :biggrin:

Solution 169 (2)

Let f(a)=0π2arctan(atan(x))tan(x)dx\displaystyle f(a)=\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \frac{\arctan (a \tan(x))}{ \tan(x)} dx

Let tan(x)=u\tan(x)=u,

af(a)=0π211+(atan(x))2dx[br]=01(1+(au)2)(1+u2)du=1a21[aarctan(au)arctan(u)]0\displaystyle \Rightarrow \frac{\partial}{\partial a} f(a) = \displaystyle\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \frac{1}{1+(a \tan(x))^2} dx [br]=\displaystyle \int_0^{\infty} \frac{1}{(1+(au)^2)(1+u^2)} du = \displaystyle \frac{1}{a^2-1} \left[a \arctan(au) - arctan(u) \right]_0^{\infty}

Noting that f(0)=0f(0)=0,

0π2xcot(x)dx=f(1)=01π2(a+1)da=[π2lna+1]01=12πln(2) \displaystyle \Rightarrow \int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}} x \cot(x) dx = f(1)= \int_0^1 \frac{\pi}{2(a+1)} da = \left[\frac{\pi}{2} ln|a+1| \right]_0^1 = \frac{1}{2} \pi \ln(2) \ \square
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Jkn
But the difficulty of the question lies in the fact that, if you use integration by parts, you have [xln(sinx)]0π2\left[x \ln(\sin x) \right]_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}} which requires some thought to evaluate.

That's where the difficult of the question lies? Please. Also, I'm failing to see how "it is acceptable to quote" that integral but not this limit.

Alternatively, there is another really nice approach that avoids this altogether!

I know what you are referring to. If you're going to be picky and require justification for the limit above, then differentiating under the integral requires a lot more justification. So the only thing you've avoided is the easier path.

And in any case, this thread is not an exam, it's for fun. So unless something is terribly obscure/incorrect, it's hardly worth pointing out.

Edit: voilà, you've just posted exactly what I was referring to.

Original post by joostan
What about problem 140? :lol: Unless the Basel problem's on the A-level spec, though I do take your point, some of these things could - hypothetically be done, but emphasis on hypothetical.

Alright granted, that should have had an additional star. Also, I agree with you and shamika - in the future I will mention it if the (*) is an especially tough route to take (this is the case with the last integral I posted for instance).
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1116
That's where the difficult of the question lies? Please. Also, I'm failing to see how "it is acceptable to quote" that integral but not this limit.

I know what you are referring to. If you're going to be picky and require justification for the limit above, then differentiating under the integral requires a lot more justification. So the only thing you've avoided is the easier path.

And in any case, this thread is not an exam, it's for fun. So unless something is terribly obscure/incorrect, it's hardly worth pointing out.

Okay, okay.. :rolleyes:

It's just you have assumed that things that are of the level of STEP questions are trivial! Just look at 1991, STEP III, 7 where you are actually led to the answer step-by-step. So, what you have omitted as trivial is supposed to be even harder than a STEP question... :s-smilie:

I know it doesn't matter particularly and I'm not that bothered, but I got the impression from reading what a lot of people had said that people started to lose interest in this thread around the same time people started posting questions and/or solutions that are hard to relate to! And since even understanding your solution requires the reader to have abilities beyond the level of the average STEP integration question surely suggests that this kind of thing people were referring to :lol:

Edit: voilà, you've just posted exactly what I was referring to.

:colondollar:
Some more (*) problems for people who want them:

Problem 172*

Is r=0100r!\displaystyle\prod_{r=0}^{100} r! a perfect square? If not, could we remove one of the factorials to make it a perfect square?

Problem 173*

Let P(x)=24x24+j=123(24j)(x24j+x24+j)P(x) = 24x^{24} + \displaystyle\sum_{j=1}^{23} (24 - j) (x^{24-j} + x^{24+j} )

Let z1,z2,...,zrz_{1}, z_{2}, ... , z_{r} be the distinct zeros of P(x)P(x) and let zk2=ak+ibk, k=1,2,...,rz_{k}^{2} = a_{k} + i b_{k}, \ k = 1, 2, ..., r and i=1i = \sqrt{-1} and a, bRa, \ b \in \mathbb{R}

Let k=1rbk=m+np\displaystyle\sum_{k=1}^{r} |b_{k} | = m + n \sqrt{p}

where m,n,pm, n, p are integers and p is not divisible by the square of any primes. Calculate m+n+pm + n + p
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Felix Felicis
Some more (*) problems for people who want them:

Problem 171*

f(x)=6x7sin2(x1000)ex2f(x) = 6x^{7} \sin^{2} \left( x^{1000} \right) e^{x^{2}}

Find f2013(0)f^{2013} (0) (note fn(x)f^{n} (x) is the nth derivative of f(x)f(x))

Hasn't this already been posted by LOTF somewhere? :confused:
Original post by ukdragon37
Hasn't this already been posted by LOTF somewhere? :confused:

Damn! I didn't actually realise that, but yeah, it has :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest