The Student Room Group

OCR A2 LAW G153 Criminal Law 1 - June 2013

Scroll to see replies

How about everyone puts an example q1 essay on here for each topic and let's compare
Reply 381
What's more likely duress or intoxication for question 1????
Original post by Frazzlez
What's more likely duress or intoxication for question 1????

I would personally say duress, I'm quite sure one will definitely come up though so I'm still revising intoxication briefly... This is the pattern of when they came up in Q1:
Jan 2010 = intoxication
June 2010 = duress
Jan 2011 = intoxication
-- then nothing since then on Q1 for either but for Q2:
Intoxication has been on every paper from June 2010 - January 2013 (with the exception of January 2011 that was duress Q2 only)... My bet is Q1 on duress
Reply 383
Original post by feelinginfinite
I would personally say duress, I'm quite sure one will definitely come up though so I'm still revising intoxication briefly... This is the pattern of when they came up in Q1:
Jan 2010 = intoxication
June 2010 = duress
Jan 2011 = intoxication
-- then nothing since then on Q1 for either but for Q2:
Intoxication has been on every paper from June 2010 - January 2013 (with the exception of January 2011 that was duress Q2 only)... My bet is Q1 on duress

Duress and attempts are highly likely

Posted from TSR Mobile
Has anyone got an essay they've written on attempts and duress for q1? I want to see what type of stuff are needed for a02.

Q2 I get around 40-45 and usually 20 for q3 but I can only get 25-30 for q1 help :frown:
Original post by qr95
Duress and attempts are highly likely

Posted from TSR Mobile

I just hope OCR don't have a day thinking "nah they'll think duress and attempts will be on SO we'll put other topics on" - if intoxication + roberry/burglary + intention/recklessness all come up, they're my least favourite of the predictions and I'll be crying inside :rolleyes:
Not the most positive way of thinking but does anybody know what the boundary is either points or %-wise for a B?
Reply 387
obviously it depends on the question but for attempts talk about the common law tests and make sure you say the problems with them then bring in the fact that the attempts act didnt remove the common law tests so in theory they can still be used which obviously equals a lack of clarity and confussion for jurors as well as everyday people
Then you want to go on to say that there is no proper definition of what is more than merely preperation so again this isnt clear.
After the above say that if the law is meant to protect people then Ds in cases such as Geddes would be guilty so this is also an area that need improvement.
Then you can say about omissions and attempts i.e. the act says an act is needed yet there is a clear exception.
You also have attempting the impossible how Anderton v Ryan was wrongly decided and went against the act and then less than a year later it was overruled by Shivpuri by using the practise statement (include this as its synoptisity and will put you in level 5)

hope this helps!
Reply 388
Original post by dreamerdeceiver
Not the most positive way of thinking but does anybody know what the boundary is either points or %-wise for a B?

Overall you need 280 for a grade B (im sure about this)
In the g153 paper for a grade B you need 84 (I think)

How much do you need for a B
Original post by qr95
Overall you need 280 for a grade B (im sure about this)
In the g153 paper for a grade B you need 84 (I think)

How much do you need for a B

Cheers for that

if I'm honest I don't actually know. I've got low Bs for all 3 exams so far, but I've resat the first one (English Legal System), but I believe currently I'm very close to the B / C border; I think though I need in the region of 70-80 or so.
Indeed. It and causation are for me the easiest to write about, and also the easiest to recall.

Does anybody know, say for example you cite murder's definition 'the unlawful killing of a reasonable...' or act / subsection and get it wrong, how many marks it typically loses?

Remember that the mark schemes are applied positively, so we get credit for what we write, not penalised for what we omit. You won't necessarily lose a specific number of marks for a mistake in a case name/ year or the wrong subsection of an act. You may be however lower down in the band for A01 as this deals with accuracy of knowledge but you will still get credit for using, or attempting to use the knowledge if you can show how it's relevant (e.g through a brief explanation or through linking legal principles.)

Unsubstantiated or isolated case names, right or wrong won't get you many marks so focus on why it's important/ what it illustrates or changed/ rather than just learning specific dates and subsections!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 391
Cheers for that

if I'm honest I don't actually know. I've got low Bs for all 3 exams so far, but I've resat the first one (English Legal System), but I believe currently I'm very close to the B / C border; I think though I need in the region of 70-80 or so.

Hopefully you smashed the ELS paper! Then you wouldn't need as much. Good luck for g153, im dreading it only topic im confident with is causation omission lol. You need 70 for a B?

Intention and murder wont come up as two separate essays on the same paper right ? Coz they are similar to each other

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by qr95
Hopefully you smashed the ELS paper! Then you wouldn't need as much. Good luck for g153, im dreading it only topic im confident with is causation omission lol. You need 70 for a B?

Intention and murder wont come up as two separate essays on the same paper right ? Coz they are similar to each other

Posted from TSR Mobile

Found my exam results from last year, the marks are (ELS) 83 (SOL) 60 (SS) 56, so 199 min so far...

I wish I could tell you. You're in a better position that me atm though as I know very little about any of them!

Edit - 199 means 81 max. required from Criminal Law, which is 67.5% Attainable! If I can get just 20 extra marks on the ELS one though that's a hell of a weight off my shoulders.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 394
Found my exam results from last year, the marks are (ELS) 83 (SOL) 60 (SS) 56, so 199 min so far...

I wish I could tell you. You're in a better position that me atm though as I know very little about any of them!

Edit - 199 means 81 max. required from Criminal Law, which is 67.5% Attainable! If I can get just 20 extra marks on the ELS one though that's a hell of a weight off my shoulders.

What are your teachers predictions? Im just prioritising topics likely to come up

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anybody know - is this course 120 + 80 in the respective exams in both years? The spec's been changed so I can't see for myself. Cheers

Original post by qr95
What are your teachers predictions? Im just prioritising topics likely to come up

Posted from TSR Mobile

For questions in the exam? If so, consent, that was his only firm prediction.
Does anybody know - is this course 120 + 80 in the respective exams in both years? The spec's been changed so I can't see for myself. Cheers

For questions in the exam? If so, consent, that was his only firm prediction.

Yes, 120 for g153 (this exam), and the special study was out of 80 :smile:

Just curious since you said your teacher was confident that consent would come up - do you mean tied in with non fatal OAP on a Q2? Or entirely by itself for a Q1/Q3? Just if it was Q1/Q3 I'm struggling to see what question it could ask :tongue:
Original post by feelinginfinite
Yes, 120 for g153 (this exam), and the special study was out of 80 :smile:

Just curious since you said your teacher was confident that consent would come up - do you mean tied in with non fatal OAP on a Q2? Or entirely by itself for a Q1/Q3? Just if it was Q1/Q3 I'm struggling to see what question it could ask :tongue:

Cheers, was that the same for AS year too?

IDK I'm afraid, but it was as a 50 marker so it should be either s1 or s2. As you may have gathered from my posts I haven't listened much this year but he certainly made a big enough song and dance about it, which he wouldn't have done if it was only 20. Apparently it's not come up in years.
Reply 398

IDK I'm afraid, but it was as a 50 marker so it should be either s1 or s2. As you may have gathered from my posts I haven't listened much this year but he certainly made a big enough song and dance about it, which he wouldn't have done if it was only 20. Apparently it's not come up in years.

I think most people have predicted duress and attempts for section A

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, same for AS years. ELS was out of 120, and Sources of law was out of 80 :smile: Ah that's okay, I agree with qr95 below saying duress/attempts (at least one of them) should definitely come up. I was just curious because I think consent goes best with non fatal OAP on a question (my teacher taught them intertwined - I'm not sure if anyone else was taught that way). Then again, non fatal OAP comes up as a Q2 a lot, though I'm not sure how many times consent has been on with it. Thanks for the tip anyway!

Original post by qr95
I think most people have predicted duress and attempts for section A

I second this. Then at least theft/non fatal OAP (the biggest topics) for Q2. Then at least insanity+auto/ non fatal OAP/ manslaughter for Q3.
Those are the topics I'll be going over in depth on the Wednesday before the exam. Up until then I'm just doing a combination of everything

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending