The Student Room Group

Government and Politics Unit 4C Edexcel

In preparation for the exam in just over 2 weeks time, this thread is to collate information, revision notes and predictions for this paper!

Happy posting :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Finally a thread on this exam, I really need all the current examples for the topics that's pretty much what the examiners get excited about
Original post by President M.E.
Finally a thread on this exam, I really need all the current examples for the topics that's pretty much what the examiners get excited about

Oh dear, good luck with that. My examples have been totally cumulative - e.g I've been reading the US news on popular US quality news websites since September and been making notes on all the examples as I went a long.
Reply 3
Current examples are important, but useless if you cannot incorporate them into a good essay technique
I think it'll be a fairly nice paper. Hoping for a question on the politicization of the Supreme Court or the power of the President but it's one of my easier exams. Aiming for 90% so hoping the paper is kind :tongue:
Reply 5
Original post by Superunknown17
I think it'll be a fairly nice paper. Hoping for a question on the politicization of the Supreme Court or the power of the President but it's one of my easier exams. Aiming for 90% so hoping the paper is kind :tongue:

What about a broken branch question on congress?
Anything to do with Congress and its difficulties there's so much stuff now about it, does anyone have any tips to an A* essay? My teacher is pretty poor, and TSRians are pretty knowledgeable on this sort of thing...
Reply 7
Any tips for the 40 marker??
Original post by gman10

Haven't come across that one yet but you could say that the President as commander-in-chief has essentially usurped the power to declare war, as Congress hasn't declared war since 1941 I believe (don't quote me on the date) but has been involved in numerous 'unofficial' wars, i.e. the Iraq, Afghanistan, Vietnam, you know the rest.

You could also say that the President can circumvent Congress with like recess appointments, executive orders etc. Also, though Congress has the power to impeach, they've never done so fully.

I'm sure there's other things to put but they're just off the top of my head.
Reply 9
Does anyone know whether United States vs. Stevens would be classed as judicial activism or judicial restraint?
If a question comes up about the difficulty of passing Amendments to the Constitution, could you argue America is fearful of mistake, such as when the 18th Amendment on Prohibition of Alcohol was repealed?
Reply 11
Original post by arsenal20111
If a question comes up about the difficulty of passing Amendments to the Constitution, could you argue America is fearful of mistake, such as when the 18th Amendment on Prohibition of Alcohol was repealed?

Yes, as long as its clear that the politicians and public a like dont want to see changes on policy areas thats fine
Reply 12
Original post by gman10

For this i would go through each of Congress' main functions and show how they are failing at them
Legislation - 2% of bills passed, tend to be on non partisan issues, like removing 'lunatic' from federal law, needs pork to get through

Scrutiny - excessive in divided, not good enough in unified government

Representation - too much focus on special interest and parties, becoming harder to represent the Folks Back Home

Budget - disaster, sequestration, fiscal cliff, debt ceiling
Original post by t1gger123
For this i would go through each of Congress' main functions and show how they are failing at them
Legislation - 2% of bills passed, tend to be on non partisan issues, like removing 'lunatic' from federal law, needs pork to get through

Scrutiny - excessive in divided, not good enough in unified government

Representation - too much focus on special interest and parties, becoming harder to represent the Folks Back Home

Budget - disaster, sequestration, fiscal cliff, debt ceiling

Then again, you can mention that Congressman are prepared to vote against party lines if it conflicts with constituents views (e.g. Representative Christopher Carney)
Reply 14
Then again, you can mention that Congressman are prepared to vote against party lines if it conflicts with constituents views (e.g. Representative Christopher Carney)

Yep, its good to provide a counter point and knock it down, to get the top grades, so you could mention this, but then go on to say in the current era of polarisation, this is becoming increasingly rare
Yep, its good to provide a counter point and knock it down, to get the top grades, so you could mention this, but then go on to say in the current era of polarisation, this is becoming increasingly rare

True. But then again, you can argue the lack of party discipline makes it easier to vote against party. (Possibly draw in comparison with UK Party Whips?)
Reply 16
True. But then again, you can argue the lack of party discipline makes it easier to vote against party. (Possibly draw in comparison with UK Party Whips?)

True, but in the House the party has more control, as they chose committee chairman- is that right or have they changed that?
True, but in the House the party has more control, as they chose committee chairman- is that right or have they changed that?

As far as I'm aware, the House Speaker appoints Committee Chairmen.
Reply 18
I think we should collect some recent examples of American politics to 'wow' the examiner...
Original post by gman10
I think we should collect some recent examples of American politics to 'wow' the examiner...

Good idea, I'm just trawling American news websites haha.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending