The Student Room Group

French FN4 WJEC-Friday 14th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BaconEmperor
Everyone does a cultural topic for the essay :P

Mine is on the film "La Haine" :smile: feeling positive now as we've been analysing it since last summer and were all practically forced to buy it last year.
Original post by JennaEmBee
Mine is on the film "La Haine" :smile: feeling positive now as we've been analysing it since last summer and were all practically forced to buy it last year.

WOW! I wish I had been preparing for mine for that long. I only really finished by research on Quebec in April and I've only been properly learning that research since May 2nd (day after my oral exam). Still I've found it such an interesting region, and I'm really fortunate that I'm the only student in my class which meant I had free reign on which topics to study :biggrin:

Je n'ai fini jamais regarder "La Haine". Tu l'aimes?

I don't like black and white :dontknow:
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Je n'ai fini jamais regarder "La Haine". Tu l'aimes?

I don't like black and white :dontknow:

Oui je l'aime bien.. On doit regarder la fin! Elle est tres frappante!

Yeah I wouldn't normally watch a black and white film but I get what Kassovitch is doing with La Haine. I'm glad I've studied it with such an in depth lecturer, she won't let us write anything superficial, it's all got to be proper deep analysis. :tongue:
Oui je l'aime bien.. On doit regarder la fin! Elle est tres frappante!

Yeah I wouldn't normally watch a black and white film but I get what Kassovitch is doing with La Haine. I'm glad I've studied it with such an in depth lecturer, she won't let us write anything superficial, it's all got to be proper deep analysis. :tongue:

J'ai entendu que il y a "un suicide"?

Mon français n'est pas bien :tongue: j'ai seize ans, bien que je veuille étudier le français pour "mon bac"

Aah, d'accord. Tu es très chanceux :yy: je ne sais pas qui m'éduquera :redface:

What kind of themes are there then!
Original post by L'Evil Fish
J'ai entendu que il y a "un suicide"?

Mon français n'est pas bien :tongue: j'ai seize ans, bien que je veuille étudier le français pour "mon bac"

Aah, d'accord. Tu es très chanceux :yy: je ne sais pas qui m'éduquera :redface:

What kind of themes are there then!

Nah it's not a suicide...

Spoiler - don't watch if you want to watch La Haine :tongue:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IHO1LzLgIg

Kassovitch veut qu'on reflechisse sur la facon dont les banlieusards sont 'enfermes dehors' de la societe. Les themes principaux...l'exclusion sociale, le racisme, le deseouvrement, le chomage, les bavures policiers, l'amitie, peut être la famille.

Je dirais que La Haine est un film qu'on devrait regarder si on etudie le francais.

Can't find accents on the iPad :frown:
Nah it's not a suicide...

Spoiler - don't watch if you want to watch La Haine :tongue:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IHO1LzLgIg

Kassovitch veut qu'on reflechisse sur la facon dont les banlieusards sont 'enfermes dehors' de la societe. Les themes principaux...l'exclusion sociale, le racisme, le deseouvrement, le chomage, les bavures policiers, l'amitie, peut être la famille.

Je dirais que La Haine est un film qu'on devrait regarder si on etudie le francais.

Can't find accents on the iPad :frown:

Je ne vais pas regarder ^ :tongue: je regarderai le film :smile:

Aaah, je vois!

Je ne sais pas quoi je vais étudier... Les choristes? Peut-être...

How are you feeling?
Reply 27
Everyone does a cultural topic for the essay :P

haha i mean the region area - La région PACA .....LOL shows how tried i am-.-
Original post by *J@addie
haha i mean the region area - La région PACA .....LOL shows how tried i am-.-

No worries we've all had one of those days :tongue:
Did you enjoy studying PACA? When I was deciding what region to do for the essay PACA was fairly high on my list because of the impact of immigration and tourism.
Did you have to do the research yourself or did your teacher just give it to you?
Reply 29
So...last lesson today :frown: was quite sad. We went over dont/lequel/ce dont/ce qui because my class is **** at them lol. We are all doing five essays on what we personally think is likely to come up for 'La Haine'.

Also the examiner tends to switch around the essay questions so we read the essay questions on the other films listed to get a sense of where she may be going with our one.

That's a good idea actually.
But hopefully the essay questions won't be too harsh on us.
We're gonna have a sort of picnic after we're done with exams.
Our french teacher said we'll go out somewhere(there are only 8 of us lol!)
Reply 30
No worries we've all had one of those days :tongue:
Did you enjoy studying PACA? When I was deciding what region to do for the essay PACA was fairly high on my list because of the impact of immigration and tourism.
Did you have to do the research yourself or did your teacher just give it to you?

Heyy! :smile:
You ready for this exam??
I have no idea where to fit french in my schedule!
Less than 2 weeks left..I have done no essays!
Science is taking over my life :frown:
Maybe we should all revise together or something,that way I'd know something!
I just need to scrape that A for A2.. :frown:
Original post by Varsh05
Heyy! :smile:
You ready for this exam??
I have no idea where to fit french in my schedule!
Less than 2 weeks left..I have done no essays!
Science is taking over my life :frown:
Maybe we should all revise together or something,that way I'd know something!
I just need to scrape that A for A2.. :frown:

Hi :hello:
There's got to be room somewhere!
When revising a subject as big as French it's essential to have specific revsion goals (eg. Translation or essays).
Personally I find the translations quite easy so I'm focusing on essays with some occasional reading practice. That said I've only managed to write one essay this half term :tongue:
But I only decided on my cultural topic in April so I'm still learning about it!!!
I've been focusing on Chemistry and French this week so lots of science here too :frown:

It's so much harder to revise together for a subject like French because there aren't set facts you need to know like in the sciences.
La seule solution que je pourrais recommander, c'est que nous écrivons en francais?
Si nous faisions le meme theme culturel alors nous pourrions nous demander de questions concernant cela. Quel dommage :redface:
Reply 32
Hi :hello:
There's got to be room somewhere!
When revising a subject as big as French it's essential to have specific revsion goals (eg. Translation or essays).
Personally I find the translations quite easy so I'm focusing on essays with some occasional reading practice. That said I've only managed to write one essay this half term :tongue:
But I only decided on my cultural topic in April so I'm still learning about it!!!
I've been focusing on Chemistry and French this week so lots of science here too :frown:

It's so much harder to revise together for a subject like French because there aren't set facts you need to know like in the sciences.
La seule solution que je pourrais recommander, c'est que nous écrivons en francais?
Si nous faisions le meme theme culturel alors nous pourrions nous demander de questions concernant cela. Quel dommage :redface:

Well I'm originally from Mauritius,so I speak French quite fluently and I know my grammar,but I just don't know how to revise or where to start!
My translation is pretty good,and my reading's getting better now.
It's just the essay that I take a while to start planning..

You do chemistry too?
What exam board are you doing? :smile:

Je déteste les thèmes culturels! :tongue:
Original post by Varsh05
Well I'm originally from Mauritius,so I speak French quite fluently and I know my grammar,but I just don't know how to revise or where to start!
My translation is pretty good,and my reading's getting better now.
It's just the essay that I take a while to start planning..

You do chemistry too?
What exam board are you doing? :smile:

Je déteste les thèmes culturels! :tongue:

Haha this exam shouldn't be too hard for you then :tongue:
I guess the main thing for you is to maybe practice the comprehensions (not the reading itself but maybe how to answer the questions as the mark schemes are impossibly strict) or more importantly the essay as its worth nearly half the marks in the paper.
If you have the time/ don't fell prepared to write an essay then write a bunch of essay plans. I've wrote about 7 this half term using questions from AQA and WJEC which really helps me get all the facts I have about Quebec out of my brain and actually onto paper.

Yepp I do Chemistry and Maths, Chemistry is OCR A. What are your other subjects? :smile:

Moi je les détestais mais lentement j'ai commencé de les adorer!
Reply 34
Haha this exam shouldn't be too hard for you then :tongue:
I guess the main thing for you is to maybe practice the comprehensions (not the reading itself but maybe how to answer the questions as the mark schemes are impossibly strict) or more importantly the essay as its worth nearly half the marks in the paper.
If you have the time/ don't fell prepared to write an essay then write a bunch of essay plans. I've wrote about 7 this half term using questions from AQA and WJEC which really helps me get all the facts I have about Quebec out of my brain and actually onto paper.

Yepp I do Chemistry and Maths, Chemistry is OCR A. What are your other subjects? :smile:

Moi je les détestais mais lentement j'ai commencé de les adorer!

Lol!
Easy??
I've been getting high Cs' and Bs' in my mocks.
I need an A to get that A*,seeing as I don't think I'm gonna get higher than a A/B in Biology or Chem ( these are the other 2 subjects that I do lol!)
That's why I want that A*,so it looks impressive :wink:
Yep,thanks for the advice,I think I do need to get familiar with the mark scheme,and improve on vocab.
I do OCR A too! :biggrin:
F325 is next week,are you retaking any other modules?
Original post by Varsh05
Lol!
Easy??
I've been getting high Cs' and Bs' in my mocks.
I need an A to get that A*,seeing as I don't think I'm gonna get higher than a A/B in Biology or Chem ( these are the other 2 subjects that I do lol!)
That's why I want that A*,so it looks impressive :wink:
Yep,thanks for the advice,I think I do need to get familiar with the mark scheme,and improve on vocab.
I do OCR A too! :biggrin:
F325 is next week,are you retaking any other modules?

In that case I'd definitely focus on the essay because it's one aspect of the exam you can really prepare for.
I know how you feel, I'm going for an A* in maths just cos I can :wink:
No worries and that's so cool! I really enjoy Chemistry although I'm glad I'm stopping after A-Level because there's just so much to know!

Isn't F325 the week after next? The 12th? :confused:
No just that one, luckily I don't have any retakes especially as my school makes you pay for them :frown:
Reply 36
In that case I'd definitely focus on the essay because it's one aspect of the exam you can really prepare for.
I know how you feel, I'm going for an A* in maths just cos I can :wink:
No worries and that's so cool! I really enjoy Chemistry although I'm glad I'm stopping after A-Level because there's just so much to know!

Isn't F325 the week after next? The 12th? :confused:
No just that one, luckily I don't have any retakes especially as my school makes you pay for them :frown:

Yh..most of my exams are during that week though..
I mean I have biology on the 11th,chemistry on the 12th and then french on the 14th!
Yh Chemistry is hard,but I'd say Biology is a lot more remembering..compared to chemistry!
With chemistry,it just takes practice.
Are you ready for F525?
And yh it is on the 12th lol!
Original post by Varsh05
Yh..most of my exams are during that week though..
I mean I have biology on the 11th,chemistry on the 12th and then french on the 14th!
Yh Chemistry is hard,but I'd say Biology is a lot more remembering..compared to chemistry!
With chemistry,it just takes practice.
Are you ready for F525?
And yh it is on the 12th lol!

Are you retaking any of the chemistry modules?
You think that's bad, I have 2 GCSE italian exams on the 11th, Chemistry on the 12th, Maths on the 13th and then French on the 14th. All 5 of my exams are in 4 days, what are the chances! :angry:

I know all of the facts for F325 but sometimes the questions are just SOOOO weird, like if you don't get the answer word perfect then you often don't get the mark so at this points it's practice paper mania :tongue:

Do you feel prepared for Biology and Chemistry? :smile:
Reply 38
Are you retaking any of the chemistry modules?
You think that's bad, I have 2 GCSE italian exams on the 11th, Chemistry on the 12th, Maths on the 13th and then French on the 14th. All 5 of my exams are in 4 days, what are the chances! :angry:

I know all of the facts for F325 but sometimes the questions are just SOOOO weird, like if you don't get the answer word perfect then you often don't get the mark so at this points it's practice paper mania :tongue:

Do you feel prepared for Biology and Chemistry? :smile:

Yep F322 and F324.
I thought that I could just bump up my UMS for F322 and I got a REALLY BAD GRADE for F324!
I thought it'd be like doing only 2 subjects since French would be okay and I wouldn't have to put in that much effort,but now I dunno..I still need to put in the effort for french!

Yh F325 is "a beast of a paper" like people from TSR would normally say!
Well..I'm kinda prepared for F322,which is this tuesday,I should be ok with that..
But I need to be more confident with Biology and F325 >.<
On top of that French...
I'm gonna have a mental breakdown!! :frown:
Original post by Varsh05
Yep F322 and F324.
I thought that I could just bump up my UMS for F322 and I got a REALLY BAD GRADE for F324!
I thought it'd be like doing only 2 subjects since French would be okay and I wouldn't have to put in that much effort,but now I dunno..I still need to put in the effort for french!

Yh F325 is "a beast of a paper" like people from TSR would normally say!
Well..I'm kinda prepared for F322,which is this tuesday,I should be ok with that..
But I need to be more confident with Biology and F325 >.<
On top of that French...
I'm gonna have a mental breakdown!! :frown:

Almost everyone in my class is retaking F324 because they got really bad grades, put it this way it's impossible for you to actually fail French :wink:

I'm not too worried for F325 because I only need around a B to get an A overall, I just really want an A in French because I only got a B at GCSE and AS, each only 2/3 marks away from an A! :frown:
Just think about the 3 months of summer that are waiting once exams are all over :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending