Kingston University
Kingston University
Kingston upon Thames

Kingston - Science Foundation Year

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Alba.D
Hey
I applied for foundation year at Kingston and I got an offer. They took months...So I guess il see you all there in September.

Hi Alba! Congratulations. :smile:
I'm looking for more informations because I want to apply to the Foundation Year the next year. I'm italian so Im not practice with your school system etc...My question is: why did you apply for Foundation? Because you haven't studied any scientific subjects at high school? Your grades are good? Do you know the average of grades accepted?
I am afraid that I could not receive any offers so I'm trying to understand what others students say...If it's difficult to have an offer or if there are lots of places...
I want to come in London with my boyfriend. He is 24 but he hasn't studied any scientific subjects (biology chemistry) at high school...So the foundation year is the only possible way to go into a scientific uni...

Thanks! and sorry for all my questions:colondollar:
Kingston University
Kingston University
Kingston upon Thames
Reply 21
Original post by Evellinej
Hi Alba! Congratulations. :smile:I'm looking for more informations because I want to apply to the Foundation Year the next year. I'm italian so Im not practice with your school system etc...My question is: why did you apply for Foundation? Because you haven't studied any scientific subjects at high school? Your grades are good? Do you know the average of grades accepted? I am afraid that I could not receive any offers so I'm trying to understand what others students say...If it's difficult to have an offer or if there are lots of places...I want to come in London with my boyfriend. He is 24 but he hasn't studied any scientific subjects (biology chemistry) at high school...So the foundation year is the only possible way to go into a scientific uni...Thanks! and sorry for all my questions:colondollar:

Hi. Thanks
I applied for the foundation year because I'm not studying science related subjects. My science grades at secondary school were really good I got 2A* and 1A. If you want to apply for Kingston then you need minimum 160 points (A*=140,A=120,B=100,C=80,D=60 and E=40). To be honest I don't know how many spaces there are in the foundation year, I tried to find out myself because I wante to know before I applied but there were no information online regardin this. However if you want to appl to other universities for a foundation year then the entry requirements could be higher or the same depending on the university e.g. University of Manchester want ABB but they could lower them down in August when we get our results. I think you should apply, I have read your other comments on this page and you shouldn't worry apart from being considered as over qualified. I didn't think I would be accepted for it to be honest but you never know till you try also Kingston isn't the only place you can apply unless you want to stay London. Bu as for your boyfriend if he has a-levels or something that is the same or counts as a-levels he can apply to because this course is for students who haven't don't science related subjects in college as we call it and for those who have science subjects but did badly. I think a you only have one science based subject you should be fine. I hope I answered all your questions
Reply 22
Original post by Alba.D
Hi. Thanks
I applied for the foundation year because I'm not studying science related subjects. My science grades at secondary school were really good I got 2A* and 1A. If you want to apply for Kingston then you need minimum 160 points (A*=140,A=120,B=100,C=80,D=60 and E=40). To be honest I don't know how many spaces there are in the foundation year, I tried to find out myself because I wante to know before I applied but there were no information online regardin this. However if you want to appl to other universities for a foundation year then the entry requirements could be higher or the same depending on the university e.g. University of Manchester want ABB but they could lower them down in August when we get our results. I think you should apply, I have read your other comments on this page and you shouldn't worry apart from being considered as over qualified. I didn't think I would be accepted for it to be honest but you never know till you try also Kingston isn't the only place you can apply unless you want to stay London. Bu as for your boyfriend if he has a-levels or something that is the same or counts as a-levels he can apply to because this course is for students who haven't don't science related subjects in college as we call it and for those who have science subjects but did badly. I think a you only have one science based subject you should be fine. I hope I answered all your questions

Thank! It is helpful.
Only one more questions: i said that I have B in biology: I'm not sure about that because here in Italy the grades are ...5,6,7,8,9,10 where 10 is the top. I have 9/10 in biology, chemistry and physics but 6 (sufficient) in maths. I thought that my grade is not the maximum, i.e. A, but a few lower: B...
IN your opinion can I try to apply to other degree courser or the foundation is the only choice?? Are my grades acceptable...I don't know the standards in UK and I'm afraid to waste my 5 choices next october...
One more thing: what is the correlation between UCAS point (in this case 160) with the point of grades? I mean, A is 140: so having an A is almost enough to achieve the entry requirements..?
Sorry for all my questions but our school systems are so different....
:p:o
Reply 23
Hey
If your grades are B's then you maybe be rejected for being over qualified for the foundation year, but having said that because your an international student you may need to start at the foundation year and your grades won't matter. They will need to test your English and you need to get 7.0 or above depends on the university really. I think that because you are an international student you may need to do a foundation year as you want a degree in science. But I think you should email some universities and say you have those grades, your in Italy and could you apple for the foundation year or can you straight away start the degree. Also being given a placement isn't just about grades, you need to write a personal statement which tells them about you, if they like it they offer you a place basically what am trying to say is that being offered a place they look at everything in relation to you. As for the UCAS points the 160 can be made in any way. So if you get an 10(A) it's 120ucas points if you get 10+ (A*) it's 140ucas. So all your grades go towards your final grade. Your grades are acceptable but you need to find out whether you can get into the actual degree as your an international student. Do you want to do something medical? I just assumed you might be that's why am relating my reply to science. It's ok, before I applied I tried to read alot online and I. Just said to hell with it because I wasn't sure what I wanted to do. I applied for to different courses becaus I knew I wouldn get into the extended degree in pharmacy then I couldn't pick if I wanted to study that or economics and finance :frown:. Just email universities or read peoples posts on google about being an international student. Don't worry I understand your system I'm myself from Albania and the system is the same. :smile:
Reply 24
Ok good!! So 10 is A=120 points but it's impossible take an 10+ in Italy! So it's impossible to achieve 140 points...I read on Wikipedia that A*=10, A=9, B=8 and so on...
You said that you have 2A* and 1A so in Albania you have taken 2 10+ and 1 10? How your grades have been compared to english ones..? By NARIC or you just made the application through UCAS?
I'll try to send more emails, I have already contacted Queen Mary University for Biosciences and they told me that the entry requirements for italian student is to achieve 75% at the "Diploma di Stato". I will inform better about the grades in chemistry, biology etc...
How is it the foundation? Is it helpful?

Thanks !:smile:
Reply 25
Original post by iammi
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone else applied for the Science Foundation Year at Kingston university (taught at Kingston College)? I received an offer today and I'm hoping to study Pharmacy after.

Anyone else? :smile:

Hi,

I have applied for the foundation course too and received an offer ... Although they took ages to reply... I have firmed the place too :smile:
I'm just nervous that I might fail the first year though :s-smilie:

Sara :rolleyes:
Reply 26
Original post by elkaysi
Hi,

I have applied for the foundation course too and received an offer ... Although they took ages to reply... I have firmed the place too :smile:
I'm just nervous that I might fail the first year though :s-smilie:

Congrats on the offer :smile: they took forever to reply to me too. I keep thinking about that too but I'm sure it'll be fine as long as you put in the work, you will definitely get it done. I have to learn to stay on top of everything from the get go ahhh *fingers crossed*
Reply 27
I've got an offer as well and i've firmed it now so i'll see you all there in september! :]
Hey ya !! i'm doing science foundation too, starting this september.

shannon :smile:
out of curiosity guys, have you all found a accomodation yet ?!?
Reply 30
I've seen one that I'd like, but haven't had any info from Kingston yet about applying.
Original post by sciencey
I've seen one that I'd like, but haven't had any info from Kingston yet about applying.

is it the uni halls ?? or private one? yeh i know i havent heard anything from kingston either -.-
Reply 32
Original post by iammi
Congrats on the offer :smile: they took forever to reply to me too. I keep thinking about that too but I'm sure it'll be fine as long as you put in the work, you will definitely get it done. I have to learn to stay on top of everything from the get go ahhh *fingers crossed*

hey, congrats for ur offer too :smile: .. and everybody else's .. and thanx for replying :smile: .. and like you said you just have to be ahead from the start .. yea i do as well ..
Was just wandering .. are you like revising or preparing in other words for the course .. cuz like my parents are nagging me about how I will be behind when the course starts :confused: soo .. like do we have to prepare for it now? .. and one other thing .. have you been told anything about the times, dates, the exact area and all that stuff? because I haven't been told anything :s-smilie: .. Thank uu :biggrin:

Reply 33
Original post by Evellinej
Ok good!! So 10 is A=120 points but it's impossible take an 10+ in Italy! So it's impossible to achieve 140 points...I read on Wikipedia that A*=10, A=9, B=8 and so on...
You said that you have 2A* and 1A so in Albania you have taken 2 10+ and 1 10? How your grades have been compared to english ones..? By NARIC or you just made the application through UCAS?
I'll try to send more emails, I have already contacted Queen Mary University for Biosciences and they told me that the entry requirements for italian student is to achieve 75% at the "Diploma di Stato". I will inform better about the grades in chemistry, biology etc...
How is it the foundation? Is it helpful?

Thanks !:smile:

Hi
Sorry for the late reply, I came to England when I was 7years old so I have GCSE's but I know that you have numbered grades. Also to be honest I don't know how thw foundation year is because I'm starting in September so fingers crossed it goes well. It should be helpful, it gives you the knowledge you need to progress into the course you want to start e.g. Pharmacy
Reply 34
Original post by shannonelias
is it the uni halls ?? or private one? yeh i know i havent heard anything from kingston either -.-

Just the standard en suite one by the uni halls, hoping i've got priority since i live so far away :]
Just the standard en suite one by the uni halls, hoping i've got priority since i live so far away :]

yeah i was looking at them uni halls too bt apparently they're only for first years :l hw far u frm kingston ?

Hi I live far away too, but I haven't been given a password to apply for it, Any one else?
Reply 37
Original post by Alba.D
Hi
Sorry for the late reply, I came to England when I was 7years old so I have GCSE's but I know that you have numbered grades. Also to be honest I don't know how thw foundation year is because I'm starting in September so fingers crossed it goes well. It should be helpful, it gives you the knowledge you need to progress into the course you want to start e.g. Pharmacy

Hi thanks for reply!
I wrote some email to lots of university in London and I think with my grades to get straight onto a degree course... My grades are high especially in biology and chemistry, the most relevant subject for what I want to do (medical genetics at Queen Mary or biomedical science at Westminster or Greenwich UNi).
It was really hard to understand how your school system works, here in Italy everyone can get onto every university wants, without entry requirements of particularly subjects...
Can you tell me more about the course I chose? (medical genetics and biomedical science), what do you think? Is it difficult to entry? How the reputation of Queen Mary, Westminster and Greenwich are in London?
When I asked to Uni they told me the entry requirements for the Italian certifications, (Diploma di Stato) : Queen Mary is 80% overall and 80% in biology and chemistry modules. I meet them, in biology and chemistry I achieved 90%...
So, in you personal opinion, can I try to apply?

Sorry for my English and all my questions!!!:smile:
Reply 38
By the way guys .. did anyone get any emails about enrollment day or anything like that .. cuz i didnt :s-smilie:

Original post by elkaysi
By the way guys .. did anyone get any emails about enrollment day or anything like that .. cuz i didnt :s-smilie:

Nope i never got any emails about enrolment :l but on ucas it did say 1 september. so im guessing that week.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending