The Student Room Group

AQA GCE Geography Unit 3- 7th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1260
Original post by Gary
You all doing the essay question last? or first?

Im thinking of doing mine first, where most of effort into thought process goes I find, and I think more calmer at the beginning of the exam rather than the end so yaah :smile:
Original post by niamh067
A past question on ecosystems was, "describe and explain two changes that have taken place in urban ecosystems.(8 marks)" How would you answer this? I haven't got a clue :s-smilie:

introduction of non native species (oxford ragwart, Japanese not weed) changes in gardens and parks

changes to the rural urban fringe will be different

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Daniel George
introduction of non native species (oxford ragwart, Japanese not weed) changes in gardens and parks

changes to the rural urban fringe will be different

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! So the planned and unplanned introduction of alien species, i know that :smile: its just the wording of questions that gets me
Original post by niamh067
Thank you! So the planned and unplanned introduction of alien species, i know that :smile: its just the wording of questions that gets me

same :smile:
I'm definitely taking my exam like this:

- Essay (world cities)
- Structured (development)
- Structured (tectonics)

Doing the essay before my hand dies haha.
Reply 1265
Original post by GeoggerH
Im thinking of doing mine first, where most of effort into thought process goes I find, and I think more calmer at the beginning of the exam rather than the end so yaah :smile:

Original post by A Wise Ninja
I'm definitely taking my exam like this:

- Essay (world cities)
- Structured (development)
- Structured (tectonics)

Doing the essay before my hand dies haha.

debating whether i should do the essay first, and i think i should now since my hard wont be as tired
Reply 1266
doing mine in order

short 1
short 2
essay!

Can handle it :wink:. So difficult learning all the case studies atm tho
no body is doing the essay in second - this first structured question will give you a warm up :O I thought it would be a little easier
NEED HELP WITH LOCAL SCALE ECOSYSTEMS!!! :O (excluding conservation area)

what you write for "Discuss changes in the rural urban fringe"

Would changes to urban areas be the same as changes resulting from urbanisation?
- Include introduction of new species(planned and unplanned) and the colonisation of wasteland(succession)-?

"Changes in the rural urban fringe" >> I have no idea what to write for this

any help please :smile:
What would you write for discuss:
"Trade v Aid" .... ?????
would you basically discuss the benefits and negatives of both including examples of different scales then come to a conclusion about which is better?

How would people structure this?
I'm planning to ... although I haven't done a practice altogether yet :/ planning on G+D first then tectonics essay then ecosystems.
Original post by Lisarh
NEED HELP WITH LOCAL SCALE ECOSYSTEMS!!! :O (excluding conservation area)

what you write for "Discuss changes in the rural urban fringe"

Would changes to urban areas be the same as changes resulting from urbanisation?
- Include introduction of new species(planned and unplanned) and the colonisation of wasteland(succession)-?

"Changes in the rural urban fringe" >> I have no idea what to write for this

any help please :smile:

changes for the rural-urban fringe is stuff like housing developments (old sarum housing development), landfill sites, fly tipping :smile:
Reply 1272
Original post by K_Ahmed94
In the development and globalisation section, if the 40 marker was on global social and economic groupings the main emphasis has to be on the EU, but can we mention NAFTA and ASEAN etc?

Whats everyones prediciton on the 40 marker for the globalisation topic? Highly unlikely for it to be trade and aid as it came up on jan 2013, but then again who knows?

i personally think sustainabilty in development or global social and economic groupings

For a 40 marker, it would be best to of course have a detailed case study but to also drop in a few other groupings to show the variety of reasons as to why they group e.g. NAFTA was formed in competition to the EU and the variety impacts of the groupings e.g. BRICS urmmmmmm, such diversity in their political systems and so potential problem?

My teacher thinks Tourism - myth or reality is a likely one because it hasnt come up for a long while,
global social and economic groupings sounds more like a 15 marker, not so much a 40 marker - would be great if it does come up though.
changes for the rural-urban fringe is stuff like housing developments (old sarum housing development), landfill sites, fly tipping :smile:

thanks could you expand on that like do you have to put in specific examples?
Original post by Lisarh
thanks could you expand on that like do you have to put in specific examples?

a rural urban fringe is the area surrounding and urban development. over recent years there has been significant changes. The increase in population has put pressure to build new housing developments. for instance, the old sarum housing development has increased the number of homes by 640. previously, the site was home to the surrounding land of old sarum castle and agriculture; such as wheat plantations. this was generally considered to be a green belt location.
similarly, there has been an increase in vandalism in the rural-urban fringe. fly tipping is a major issue, and cots the government thousands each year to remove the waste. similar problems include tresspassing and poaching of fish in rivers within the rural urban fringe - something that is prohibited by the environment agency.
yet, it is clear the rural urban fringe is being used in a sustainable manner - parks, gardens and wildlife reserves are developed to preserve the degraded land. it increases biodiversity and allows for nesting sites of rare birds such as the barn owl. similarly, wildlife sites such as Moors Valley in the south of england brings economy into the local area each year by tourists.

hope this helps
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1275
a rural urban fringe is the area surrounding and urban development. over recent years there has been significant changes. The increase in population has put pressure to build new housing developments. for instance, the old sarum housing development has increased the number of homes by 640. previously, the site was home to the surrounding land of old sarum castle and agriculture; such as wheat plantations. this was generally considered to be a green belt location.
similarly, there has been an increase in vandalism in the rural-urban fringe. fly tipping is a major issue, and cots the government thousands each year to remove the waste. similar problems include tresspassing and poaching of fish in rivers within the rural urban fringe - something that is prohibited by the environment agency.
yet, it is clear the rural urban fringe is being used in a sustainable manner - parks, gardens and wildlife reserves are developed to preserve the degraded land. it increases biodiversity and allows for nesting sites of rare birds such as the barn owl. similarly, wildlife sites such as Moors Valley in the south of england brings economy into the local area each year by tourists.

hope this helps

mate, i wanna try something. Name one of your case studies for any of the topics
ARGH separatism is so hard and confusing to learn for a 40 marker :frown:
Original post by Axion
mate, i wanna try something. Name one of your case studies for any of the topics

mt nyiragongo eruption 2002
Original post by liabhimani
ARGH separatism is so hard and confusing to learn for a 40 marker :frown:

I agree!
Reply 1279
DEFINATELY doing structured/structured/essay - I think if you can try and do the short questions quickly you can spend as much time on the essay as possible :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending