The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
Original post by CoolRunner
Edexcels gonna **** us over again. Gosh, how i hate edexcel physics.

I know. They may tear us apart.:frown:
Original post by muonz
Hm? P is a fixed resistor, when the lamp is in parallel with the fixed resistor, the resistance of the parallel combination is smaller than the resistance of P. Therefore now that the lamp is removed you have a potential divider, the ratio of the resistance between P and R changes so that P has a higher proportion of the voltage (as the resistance of P > the resistance of P and the lamp in parallel), hence the voltmeter reading increases.

But but...
I thought like this...where did I go wrong?:redface:

The 12 V is shared between P (and all its parallels) and Q(Q nah it was? Can't see the pic in this app!).
So v of P= 12 - v of Q

Now the total resistance of the circuit increases. So the current decreases. Resistance of Q is constant so its V decreases. So V of P increases!!
Sorry for the mixing up edits but as I posted firstly it increases

I don't seem to follow you. :confused:

EDIT: take Q as the other resistor not the bulb. The pic does not show up in the app. So Q in my above explanation is not the bulb
EDIT: yes I get it increases. Lol I just got it now and I assumed I typed in it increases. Not a typo a genuine mistake...lol now I'm not confused.

Thanks for pointing out :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Guess this paper can't be as hard as the Unit 1 paper.
Reply 203
Original post by StUdEnTIGCSE
Guess this paper can't be as hard as the Unit 1 paper.

Who knows. Edexcel may throw us a real bomb as a surprise :frown:
Reply 204
Its possible that it could be really hard. In one of the past papers i saw it was 45/80 for an A and 55/80 for 120 UMS. LOL Its kind of good having a hard paper cuz you can loose like 30 marks and get an A or B
Original post by popo
Its possible that it could be really hard. In one of the past papers i saw it was 45/80 for an A and 55/80 for 120 UMS. LOL Its kind of good having a hard paper cuz you can loose like 30 marks and get an A or B

Ah yes...
But a hard paper always gives that suspension feeling that lasts untill results day.:redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CoolRunner
Edexcels gonna **** us over again. Gosh, how i hate edexcel physics.

how much u got in jan paper?
Reply 207
did anyone do unit 1 in june 13? and if not does anyone know what 120 ums was in jan? both papers were hard so I'm thinking it was quite low
Reply 208
Original post by lucilleJR
did anyone do unit 1 in june 13? and if not does anyone know what 120 ums was in jan? both papers were hard so I'm thinking it was quite low

52=A

64= 120ums (or 62 marks, cant remember!)
Original post by Daniel Atieh
how much u got in jan paper?

a D lol.
Has anyone got markscheme notes for physics unit 2? similar to biology?
Reply 211
Just wanted to confirm why the answer to this was C and not D :smile:
Reply 212
Original post by Zoeyyy

Top part resistance=8 ohms
Bottom part resistance=8 ohms
1/R=1/8+1/8
1/R=1/4
R=4 ohms
Original post by Zoeyyy

Well the total resistance of resistors depend on whether they are in parallel or series.
In series the total resistance is the sum of each individual resistances.
In parallel it follows this

1R=1r1+1r2+1r3+1r3..... \dfrac{1}{R}= \dfrac{1}{r_{1}} + \dfrac{1}{r_{2}} + \dfrac{1}{r_{3}} + \dfrac{1}{r_{3}} .....

Where R is the total resistance and r is the individual resistances.

Now before you solve for parallel you should find the resistance for each branch. The two 4ohm resistors are in series in each branch so adding it each branch has resistance of 8ohm. Now adding as in parallel gives 4ohms.

An easier way to find the resistance of two branches in parallel is

R=r1×r2r1+r2 R= \dfrac{r_{1} \times r_{2}}{r_{1} + r_{2}}

And when there are n branches each with the same r resistance its easier. The total resistance us simple r/n

EDIT: I corrected one thing...typo :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 214
Does anyone have access to the 2013 jan paper? Thanks!
Reply 215
Original post by Jaydude
Does anyone have access to the 2013 jan paper? Thanks!

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2262586
Reply 216
Expectations for our Wednesday exam, guys?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 217
Original post by krisshP
Top part resistance=8 ohms
Bottom part resistance=8 ohms
1/R=1/8+1/8
1/R=1/4
R=4 ohms

Ahh, thanks a bunch! :biggrin:
Reply 218
Original post by StUdEnTIGCSE
Well the total resistance of resistors depend on whether they are in parallel or series.
In series the total resistance is the sum of each individual resistances.
In parallel it follows this

1R=1r1+1r2+1r3+1r3..... \dfrac{1}{R}= \dfrac{1}{r_{1}} + \dfrac{1}{r_{2}} + \dfrac{1}{r_{3}} + \dfrac{1}{r_{3}} .....

Where R is the total resistance and r is the individual resistances.

Now before you solve for parallel you should find the resistance for each branch. The two 4ohm resistors are in series in each branch so adding it each branch has resistance of 8ohm. Now adding as in parallel gives 4ohms.

An easier way to find the resistance of two branches in parallel is

R=r1×r2r1+r2 R= \dfrac{r_{1} \times r_{2}}{r_{1} + r_{2}}

And when there are n branches each with the same r resistance its easier. The total resistance us simple r/n

EDIT: I corrected one thing...typo :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Super! Thanks :biggrin:
Reply 219
hey, does anyone on here know whether we need to learn about the evidence which support the wave/particle theory or whether we only need to know how to explain the evidence?

Latest

Trending

Trending