The Student Room Group

A2 English Literature WJEC anyone? 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Selym95
Does anyone have any useful/key revenge tragedy quotes?

Seconded, I don't want to have to wade through that Jacobean excrement again.
Original post by Selym95

I don't have specific quotes but try and include something about Machiavelli! It's pretty significant to any revenge tragedy

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 102
Original post by georgiapal
I don't have specific quotes but try and include something about Machiavelli! It's pretty significant to any revenge tragedy

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you mean, use him as a critic in our essay?
Original post by SiriusCybernetics
Is it possible to upload/link to these model answers? If you can't it's no bother.

I would if I could but I only have the photocopies my teachers made for me :frown:

And I think I remember reading on the mark scheme that they don't expect us to quote specific critics - I think memorising them along with the quotes would make my head explode! I'm just going to stick to offering the interpretations based on my knowledge of Marxism and so on
Original post by Selym95
Do you mean, use him as a critic in our essay?

i guess it's not really a critic but because he was really one of the first authors os a revenge tragedy, things that he says is relevant. i guess you could use the quotes as almost contextual
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/n/niccolo_machiavelli.html
thats a really good site for them
Reply 105
Original post by Selym95

Contextually, all I can really remember is Machiavelli's 'It is better to be feared than loved' :confused:
Reply 106
Original post by s_axo
Contextually, all I can really remember is Machiavelli's 'It is better to be feared than loved' :confused:

Ah, I apologise I have not been explicit enough. The partner text for Hamlet is Thomas Middleton's 'The Revenger's Tragedy'. I meant key quotes for this play :tongue:
Reply 107
Original post by Selym95
Ah, I apologise I have not been explicit enough. The partner text for Hamlet is Thomas Middleton's 'The Revenger's Tragedy'. I meant key quotes for this play :tongue:

Now I look like a bit of an idiot! I thought you meant in relation to Webster's Malfi. I always seem to forget other people study other texts :P
Original post by Selym95

Here are all the Revenger's quotes I picked out, hope it helps!

I don't know if I'll use all of them, learning Hamlet ones at the moment =/
Reply 109
Original post by s_axo
Now I look like a bit of an idiot! I thought you meant in relation to Webster's Malfi. I always seem to forget other people study other texts :P

Ha-ha, no I am guilty for this miss-understanding. Ironically, i also assumed everyone was studying the text!
Reply 110
Original post by HistoryGal
Here are all the Revenger's quotes I picked out, hope it helps!

I don't know if I'll use all of them, learning Hamlet ones at the moment =/

Ah, thanks very much! I'm devoting tonight towards getting a good selection. Talk about cutting it fine.

I've repped you :smile:
Original post by Selym95
Ah, thanks very much! I'm devoting tonight towards getting a good selection. Talk about cutting it fine.

I've repped you :smile:

I'm planning on learning my quotes tuesday/wednesday as I have a history exam monday that I am TOTALLY not prepared for =(

Thank you!
Guys I'm totally freaking out about this exam ! I need an A* to get into my firm choice and the only possible A* i can get is in English :/ :frown:

I'm just so nervous :frown:

I'm doing the revenger's tragedy and Hamlet and Blake's 'Song's of Innocence and of Experience'
Reply 113
Original post by HistoryGal
I'm planning on learning my quotes tuesday/wednesday as I have a history exam monday that I am TOTALLY not prepared for =(

Thank you!

Story of my life! What topic are you doing for history?
Reply 114
Original post by Roshniroxy
Guys I'm totally freaking out about this exam ! I need an A* to get into my firm choice and the only possible A* i can get is in English :/ :frown:

I'm just so nervous :frown:

I'm doing the revenger's tragedy and Hamlet and Blake's 'Song's of Innocence and of Experience'

I'd be up for discussing Blake :smile:
Original post by H0ls
Story of my life! What topic are you doing for history?

American Civil Rights on OCR
decided 5 minutes ago to screw Trade Unions and focus on African Americans, Women and Native Americans xD

You?
Original post by s_axo
I'd be up for discussing Blake :smile:

That's awesome ! What poems have you learnt ?
Reply 117
I'm beginning to worry about this exam. Last year I got a low B but this year I decided that I could do better (I didn't even know the AO's last year) and decided to buckle up and do my best to try and get an A. To get an A I need about 90% on this exam (37/40 on coursework).

I'm studying The Tempest and Doctor Faustus as well as Blake. Does anyone have any tips to get an A* or seen any A* graded essays?
how many poem quotes is everyone learning? And are you learning full poems, or just snippet quotes?

I have learnt 7 full poems, and then 7 other snippet quotes from other poems.
The poems i have learnt are:
Innocence:
Spring,
Holy Thursday,
The Ecchoing Green

Experience:
The Clod and the pebble
Ah! Sun flower!
Holy Thursday
London
A poison tree

I'm studying Blake's Song of Innocence and Experience for poetry, and The Tempest and Doctor Faustus for the play!!

Currently i'm dreading the play D:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by sarahclose
how many poem quotes is everyone learning? And are you learning full poems, or just snippet quotes?

I have learnt 7 full poems, and then 7 other snippet quotes from other poems.
The poems i have learnt are:
Innocence:
Spring,
Holy Thursday,
The Ecchoing Green

Experience:
The Clod and the pebble
Ah! Sun flower!
Holy Thursday
London
A poison tree

I'm studying Blake's Song of Innocence and Experience for poetry, and The Tempest and Doctor Faustus for the play!!

Currently i'm dreading the play D:

I only really know 4 poems: London, The Chimney Sweeper (Experience), Tiger and 'Holy Thursday' Experience. I feel like i'm taking a major risk

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending