The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sum786
Approximately how many marks are you guys getting on the past papers? Also does anyone know the average mark for an A?
Thank you

usually hitting 62-65
Is this correct?

In the lungs or any gas exchange surface, the partial pressure of Oxygen is low meaning haemoglobin has high affinity for oxygen
In respiring tissues, the partial pressure of oxygen is low so haemoglobin has a high affinity for oxygen.
Original post by Simran Mars Foster
Is this correct?

In the lungs or any gas exchange surface, the partial pressure of Oxygen is low meaning haemoglobin has high affinity for oxygen
In respiring tissues, the partial pressure of oxygen is low so haemoglobin has a high affinity for oxygen.

The pp of oxygen is high at the lungs and the pp is low around respiring cells which is why the oxygen loads onto haemoglobin at the lungs and unloads at respiring cells. :smile:
Reply 1303
Original post by JackTheNerd
Adaptations of Arteries and Arterioles has already came up, so maybe Veins and Capillaries? But I'm not sure if AQA would be that predictable. Those ones your teacher predicted are actually quite nice questions.
Some that could come up...
-Agriculture and deforestation's impact on biodiversity
- how bacteria spread resistance
-how water enters a root hair cell ans travels up roots,( and lower water potential in root hair cell root pressure and cohesion tension, not apoplast and symplast)
- differences between palisade cells and human cells, or chloroplasts, vacuole and cell wall function.

I really hope is isn't on something like genetic diversity or variation, those topics are far too small for such big questions... Or at least I hope they are. Maybe we'll be blessed and get an extra 6 marker like biol1!

a 6 marker has come up before asking you to explain how genetic diversity can be reduced (something along them lines). I don't think we will get an extra one tbh, or we may because it is AQA haha
has anyone got any tips on answering the 'investigation type' questions? thnx
Can someone explain DNA Hybridisation please? Also, the immunological method? :confused:
Is it normal to just be fed up now
Original post by Suzanna5678

I am too!
Just done the Jan 2011 paper, 72/85, found it really difficult, was 100% Ums marks really 76% correct, anyone else find this or am I covering UMS wrong? (using aqa website)

Got a borderline B on a past paper kewfhuwdhcjdcgewcggi and got three exams next week :frown: going to fail haha
Original post by lauraaaaa
I am too!

I just can't be bothered anymore. I obviously care about a levels but I just feel like I've lost momentum ughhh
Original post by Sumi Prakash
Can someone explain DNA Hybridisation please? Also, the immunological method? :confused:

DNA HYBRIDISATION
Ok say your comparing the DNA of human and a mouse

1)separate the DNA strands of both species by breaking the hydrogen bonds

2)mix together 2 strands of DNA of both species (one from human and one from mouse)

3)hydrogen bonds will form between the hybridised DNA

4)heat the hybridised DNA

5)if the temperature is very high then it shows that there are loads of hydrogen bonds and therefore mouse and human are closely related

hope this helps :biggrin: P.S. i dont understand the immunological method xD so maybe soemone else can help
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by maryamnc
Got a borderline B on a past paper kewfhuwdhcjdcgewcggi and got three exams next week :frown: going to fail haha

What's wrong with a B?! And ah what do you have? So sick of exams now !
What's wrong with a B?! And ah what do you have? So sick of exams now !

Because it was on the borderline so could easily be a C in the exam and want an A in something hehe :wink: chem the day after and psychology the day after that. Me too! I hate revising, just want the exam over and done with!
I just can't be bothered anymore. I obviously care about a levels but I just feel like I've lost momentum ughhh

I feel ya girl!
Reply 1315
Original post by Magenta96
I've literally just done that one, well in replication, you know the DNA strand unzips right? So split the strand into two and you'll have two single strands, then a new strand joins onto the old strands (remember semi conservative replication so one original strand and one new strand), and so just join those half strands with their complimentary base pairs and you'll end up with two identical strands like the markscheme asks for

ahhhh I get it, thankyou :wink:
Reply 1316
It has reached the point now where I'm just so tired of exams and cannot wait until I'm done. Biology on Monday then Chemistry on Tuesday and then I can sleep until Friday. :tongue:
Original post by Satanel
It has reached the point now where I'm just so tired of exams and cannot wait until I'm done. Biology on Monday then Chemistry on Tuesday and then I can sleep until Friday. :tongue:

Lucky I have psychology on Wednesday uhhhh! Can't wait to do normal things again
Original post by maryamnc
Because it was on the borderline so could easily be a C in the exam and want an A in something hehe :wink: chem the day after and psychology the day after that. Me too! I hate revising, just want the exam over and done with!

With a bit of adrenaline on the day it will bump up ya grade x
Reply 1319
Everyone who wanted an idea of a 6 marker insect question -

Just found this from the specimen paper;
Describe how the insect is able to obtain oxygen and limit water loss. (6)

The specimen MS is rubbish though, put relative to 2013 21st century answers because the mark schemes have changed substantially.

If you're losing motivation, watch Floyd Mayweather training! Hard work!
Sugarfree Redbull & water aha!
Good luck on Monday

Latest

Trending

Trending