The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

No. Why would they?

(except those RAHS who think they're better than everyone and spend an hour talking about which type of umbrella they will be "purchasing".) Not all RAHS are bad though :wink:
Nope unless we are talking about some of those posh people, but that wouldn't really be because you don't go cambridge/oxy but your class
In terms of a general stereotype? Honestly, there isn't one no. For me at least.

EDIT: did this have to be merged here? The thread title isn't exactly the best Oxbridge PR in the world.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by the bear
My dear chap we do not offer Holistic Massage degrees either

:rolleyes:

Sadly.
Original post by ttreb
I know here on TSR that going against Oxbridge is a battle already lost.

I just want to see the general perception of Oxbridge students. Do you think they are prejudice upon us who do not attend?

i feel like they certainly do (y) just because they got into oxbridge doesnt mean they are the cleverest, but somehow, their minds seem to think this. :L
Do oxbridge students look down on others.....?

No, they're not that tall...
Original post by sundogs
I'm at UCL and a lot of my fellow students (including me) are 'oxbridge rejects'.
Though I was initially incredibly disappointed, I am now completely certain that UCL is the right place for me and I'm thrilled I'm not at Oxford (where I applied 3 years + ago).

The general sentiment amongst people I've come across at UCL and also some at Durham etc is a little hostility towards Oxbridge students. This comes in the form of 'we are just as clever/work just as hard but have a social life too' with the stereotype being that Oxbridge students are all nerdy recluses who are smug and self-important. This isn't a very surprising stereotype (though I'm sure it's non-factual) given the media and general reputation of Oxford and Cambridge.

What I'm interested in is what Oxbridge students tend to think of students at other universities. Is there a general 'UCL' or 'Durham' or Bristol stereotype that you're aware of? I'm curious!

I wonder if there is that much bias or snobbery between them, considering that lots of Oxbridgers go on to do postgraduate study at the likes of LSE, UCL, etc and vice versa.

Quite a lot of people that I know have the attitude "oh well, by some lucky chance I managed to trick my way in here, may as well make the best of it", rather than "oh my God, aren't the tutors wise, they recognised my innate superiority and granted me my rightful place at [insert your Oxford college name here], just like Mummy and Daddy."
Reply 207
Original post by Fullofsurprises
I wonder if there is that much bias or snobbery between them, considering that lots of Oxbridgers go on to do postgraduate study at the likes of LSE, UCL, etc and vice versa.

Quite a lot of people that I know have the attitude "oh well, by some lucky chance I managed to trick my way in here, may as well make the best of it", rather than "oh my God, aren't the tutors wise, they recognised my innate superiority and granted me my rightful place at [insert your Oxford college name here], just like Mummy and Daddy."

You might get that at Oxford, but it doesn't really happen at Cambridge :tongue: most people doing serious subjects are here on merit and merit alone :tongue:

Unless you mean they're just bluffing, in which case, still nope. To the extent where people actively question on a daily basis as to how they got in :tongue:
Original post by wibletg
You might get that at Oxford, but it doesn't really happen at Cambridge :tongue: most people doing serious subjects are here on merit and merit alone :tongue:

Unless you mean they're just bluffing, in which case, still nope. To the extent where people actively question on a daily basis as to how they got in :tongue:

Cambridge is just odd generally. All very serious and scientifical.
Reply 209
Cambridge is just odd generally. All very serious and scientifical.

Wait until May Week - we'll see who's serious then :tongue:

ps - is scientifical a word? - you're an arts student so you'll know (because you have no scientists*at oxford, it's a well known fact). * - disclaimer: i am of course joking
Original post by wibletg
Wait until May Week - we'll see who's serious then :tongue:

ps - is scientifical a word? - you're an arts student so you'll know (because you have no scientists*at oxford, it's a well known fact). * - disclaimer: i am of course joking

I know! The Humanities have not yet reached the parched wasteland that lies betwixt Royston and Peterborough.

Scientifical is as surely a word as 'disattached', 'maldelivered', 'layabouting', 'wordism' or 'trystamentary'. It's real. Use it.
Reply 211
*runs across thread with a banner* OXFORD BROOKES RULES!
Reply 212
I know! The Humanities have not yet reached the parched wasteland that lies betwixt Royston and Peterborough.

Scientifical is as surely a word as 'disattached', 'maldelivered', 'layabouting', 'wordism' or 'trystamentary'. It's real. Use it.

Too many big words.

Damned Arts students.
Original post by wibletg

Getting in on merit doesn't mean you don't have an innate sense of superiority. :tongue:

And we Oxford scientists are still real scientists, we're just more arty scientists. :colonhash:
The way the world sees things - rightly or wrongly - places Oxbridge at the pinnacle of the British university hierarchy. Successive rankings of British universities over many years have validated this view - although it may be that the ranking methodology has an in-built bias which tends to produce this result, so I wouldn't set too much store by that. The reality, though, is that even if a purely objective, unbiased ranking were possible, and showed that other British universities were equalling or surpassing the Oxbridge universities, it would take a very long time for public opinion to change in the matter. Public opinion generally trails well behind the evidence.

While this remains, the competition to get into Oxbridge will always be stiffer than it will be to get into other universities ... and those who have succeeded in gaining entrance (as well, it has to be said, as those who have not) will be keenly aware of the fact that they have been successful in a competition to demonstrate that they have those qualities which Oxbridge colleges look for in the students they select, whereas others have not.

Whether this means that they "look down" on those others who competed unsuccessfully, or did not compete at all, is another matter altogether. That is down to the individual personalities of the students themselves and, inevitably, there will be some who will and others who will not. It is not something about which you can generalise.

However, there IS an old joke which goes like this:

Q: How do you know if somebody went to Oxbridge?
A: They tell you

This joke doubtless reflects reality to some extent. It is tough getting into Oxbridge, not all those who try it succeed, and those who do succeed tend to feel a (justifiable) pride in having done so. Pride need not involve condescension and looking down on others; but sometimes, inevitably, it does.
Original post by DoNotDivideBy0
However, there IS an old joke which goes like this:

Q: How do you know if somebody went to Oxbridge?
A: They tell you, 5 years later

FIFY - this is an old thread and now closed :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending