The Student Room Group

The Physics PHYA2 thread! 5th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Also on the June 11 paper, how do you do 5d? Any explanations would be greatly appreciated. :smile:
Original post by Anonymous1717
Also on the June 11 paper, how do you do 5d? Any explanations would be greatly appreciated. :smile:

I sat that paper, if you can post the question up I can help you.
how do you do jan 12 question 7b? The wave travels to the right.
Describe how the vertical displacement of the knot varies over the next complete cycle
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by natninja
I sat that paper, if you can post the question up I can help you.

http://laganphysics.weebly.com/uploads/7/5/0/8/7508207/aqa-phya2-w-qp-jun11.pdf

Also 7a, what would the graph be like?

Thanks in advance.
http://laganphysics.weebly.com/uploads/7/5/0/8/7508207/aqa-phya2-w-qp-jun11.pdf

Also 7a, what would the graph be like?

Thanks in advance.

for 5d it's just quoting and applying the formula sin(c)=n1/n2

&7a is a written 6 marker and there's no graph required...

So I assume you meant 6a which is literally a plot the points and draw a line. Should start as a steep curve and then go shallower towards the top as the metal starts flowing plasticly.
for 5d it's just quoting and applying the formula sin(c)=n1/n2

&7a is a written 6 marker and there's no graph required...

So I assume you meant 6a which is literally a plot the points and draw a line. Should start as a steep curve and then go shallower towards the top as the metal starts flowing plasticly.

Well 7a is about the formula w=(wavelength x D)/s and the mark scheme refers to some sort of way to determine wavelength from a graph. Would you like me to link you the mark scheme?
Original post by RU486
Could someone help on question 4bi on the June 10 paper please?

Even though it's asking for kinetic energy, you have to use the potential energy formula mgh, so you just do 55*9.81*3.2

Also do you know how to do question 6di from this paper? It's only 1 mark but still can't understand it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well 7a is about the formula w=(wavelength x D)/s and the mark scheme refers to some sort of way to determine wavelength from a graph. Would you like me to link you the mark scheme?

hmmm let me think a min, you have a formula for the Young double slit experiment, therefore some of the parameters in it could be used for a graph, how about fringe position versus slit seperation? Or even from your fomula a graph such that the gradient is proportional to w/s or wD/s? Bear in mind that the formula is only valid for small angles :P (and why would you use Young's slits for that anyway... a grating monochromator (uses diffraction gratings... reflection ones rather than transmission ones mind) or a Lloyd's mirror apparatus would give better results...)
(edited 10 years ago)
hmmm let me think a min, you have a formula for the Young double slit experiment, therefore some of the parameters in it could be used for a graph, how about fringe position versus slit seperation? Or even from your fomula a graph such that the gradient is proportional to w/s or wD/s? Bear in mind that the formula is only valid for small angles :P (and why would you use Young's slits for that anyway... a grating monochromator (uses diffraction gratings... reflection ones rather than transmission ones mind) or a Lloyd's mirror apparatus would give better results...)

Thanks for your help!
Thanks for your help!

No problem :smile: I didn't do as well on that paper as I did in the jan2012 retake

Spoiler

Original post by StalkeR47
It could be on the young's double slit experiment or the reflection/refraction and how do they occur etc.:s-smilie: EDIT: It is more likely to be on waves eg, progressive waves such as transverse and longitudinal.

Hey could you answer that question above physics god, thanks :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jimmy20002012
In the spec we don't we need to know about the experiment of reflection or refraction. I think Young modulus will come up, but you know AQA they can unpredictable :wink:

Just another quick question, when you given say the critical angle, and you know there is a triangle, could you calculate refractive angle by doing 180-90-critical angle?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey sorry, I was taking a break. Ok, amm.. I am not sure about this bit. Is there a particular question on the past paper? Let me know. It is quiet hard to understand what you are saying. And I think, It depends on the diagram shown.
Reply 292
could someone please explain to me what is meant by coherent
Original post by Randy123
could someone please explain to me what is meant by coherent

Coherent meaning: Two waves are coherent if they have a constant phase difference and same frequency. That is it. For example, the young's double slit experiment.
No problem :smile: I didn't do as well on that paper as I did in the jan2012 retake

Spoiler

Why do people use "spoiler"?
ok first time im using this but i hope im doing it right :s-smilie:
can anyone answer the Q to jan2012 question 5
preferably draw it :colondollar:
THANK YOU:smile:
Original post by Jimmy20002012
Hey could you answer that question above physics god, thanks :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think if you know the critical angle, angle of refraction can be found by doing the following. 90degrees take away critical angle = angle of refraction. So, you are perfectly correct! Sorry, the first time I was confused.:smile:
Why do people use "spoiler"?

because not everyone bothers to look under it :P
Original post by StalkeR47
Hey sorry, I was taking a break. Ok, amm.. I am not sure about this bit. Is there a particular question on the past paper? Let me know. It is quiet hard to understand what you are saying. And I think, It depends on the diagram shown.

Bo problem :smile:

I have attached the question where you have to find the angle of incidence.

And also could you help the on 2c on the attached question, why doesn't the energy convert to kinetic energy?

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1370034025.255389.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1370034037.139306.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1370034053.722053.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by susanjan123
ok first time im using this but i hope im doing it right :s-smilie:
can anyone answer the Q to jan2012 question 5
preferably draw it :colondollar:
THANK YOU:smile:

Yep! I will help you! I am already helping a lot of people. But, which part do you need help with?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending