The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
Original post by Randy123
hey, does anyone on here know whether we need to learn about the evidence which support the wave/particle theory or whether we only need to know how to explain the evidence?

Do both since Edexcel may give you a big bomb surprise!

Learn observations of the photoelectric effect and be able to say why it supports particle model and not the wave model of light.
Reply 221
could someone please explain to me the observation of the photoelectric effect...i understand why it supports the particle model of light and not the wave but if someone could summarise the observation and experiment itself i would be grateful
Reply 222
Anyones got jan 2013 paper unit 2?????
Reply 223
Original post by krisshP
Do both since Edexcel may give you a big bomb surprise!

Learn observations of the photoelectric effect and be able to say why it supports particle model and not the wave model of light.

thank you..hopefully they will just ask how the photoelectric effect supports it haha also do you know if we need to know any other observations like the double slit experiment
thankyou
Reply 224
Original post by lob.dub

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2262586
Reply 225
Original post by lob.dub

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2262586
Original post by Randy123
could someone please explain to me the observation of the photoelectric effect...i understand why it supports the particle model of light and not the wave but if someone could summarise the observation and experiment itself i would be grateful

Look at the mark scheme for the January 2013 unit 2 paper now.
Reply 226

Thats the economics paper, unless I've missed it somewhere in the post?
Reply 227
Original post by Jaydude
Thats the economics paper, unless I've missed it somewhere in the post?

Oops sorry
http://www.mediafire.com/?5djntd8dd7ykb
Reply 228
Reply 229
phys ms.pngBit confused about Jan 11, 19aii) - attached the question and MS but I don't understand why you divide the wavelength from i) by 4? Thanksphys q.png
Original post by ambbs
phys ms.pngBit confused about Jan 11, 19aii) - attached the question and MS but I don't understand why you divide the wavelength from i) by 4? Thanksphys q.png

Divide the wavelength by 2, to find the minimum length for it to be out of phase, and then since that length is the distance there and back, you have to divide by 2 again to find the distance between the two points

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JoshThomas
Divide the wavelength by 2, to find the minimum length for it to be out of phase, and then since that length is the distance there and back, you have to divide by 2 again to find the distance between the two points

Posted from TSR Mobile

Could you explain this question? I get part A (i) but not part (ii)
Reply 232
Original post by JoshThomas

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah I see, thank you! I didn't grasp the idea that the length was the distance there AND back which is where I got stuck :smile: cheers! Run out of rep but would pos rep you if I could :biggrin:
Original post by CoolRunner
Could you explain this question? I get part A (i) but not part (ii)

Which questionnn?:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by StUdEnTIGCSE
Well you can show it by calculus

Spoiler

that was quite neat, how do you know this stuff? :tongue:
Original post by Boy_wonder_95

It's on wikipedia :colonhash:
Original post by Boy_wonder_95

Original post by justinawe
It's on wikipedia :colonhash:

Me no plagiarise from Wikipedia :tongue:

My twin bro was reading the textbook and all of a sudden challenged me to prove it. So I proved it. I just had to take out the textbook and transfer it in.

Its not a valid proof anyway. :ahee:

Edit: I can upload a pic of my original I from the textbook itself if you are bothered :biggrin: that's the spirit..

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by StUdEnTIGCSE
Me no plagiarise from Wikipedia :tongue:

My twin bro was reading the textbook and all of a sudden challenged me to prove it. So I proved it. I just had to take out the textbook and transfer it in.

Its not a valid proof anyway. :ahee:

Edit: I can upload a pic of my original I from the textbook itself if you are bothered :biggrin: that's the spirit..

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, looking at Wikipedia, the calculus-based proof there is different, so can't be plagiarised :tongue:
Reply 238
Just to clarify, does refraction only happen from a less dense to more dense medium?
And TIR only occurs in the more dense medium?

EDIT: What is it you put on the top and bottom of the Snell's law equation, like when do you know what, 'velocity', for example to put on the numerator or denominator ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 239
Original post by Branny101
Just to clarify, does refraction only happen from a less dense to more dense medium?
And TIR only occurs in the more dense medium?

EDIT: What is it you put on the top and bottom of the Snell's law equation, like when do you know what, 'velocity', for example to put on the numerator or denominator ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, TIR occurs in the denser medium.

Not sure what you mean by refraction. Refraction can occur when going from a more dense to less dense medium OR from less dense medium to more dense medium.

U=velocity1/velocity2

Or

U=sin I/sin r

Both equations should give the same refractive index.

If they give you velocities, use U=velocity 1/velocity 2. If they give angles of incidence and refraction, use U=sin I/sinr

Latest

Trending

Trending