The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1260
Can someone help me with this question? Jan 2011, 3 b) (iii)
Why is the answer 23 and not 12? Its really confusing me :frown:

http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/65360-question-paper-unit-f322-chains-energy-and-resources.pdf
Original post by Beths_7

http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/65360-question-paper-unit-f322-chains-energy-and-resources.pdf

The answer to (i) is 2310 but it needs to be converted to KJ so that will be 2.3

the answer to (ii) is 0.200 moles

(iii) is asking for the enthalpy change of reaction, so all you do is divide the answer to (i) 2.3 by the answer to (ii) 0.200 moles, then make sure to times this by 2 :smile:))

this comes out as 23
Reply 1262
Original post by Beths_7

Ah!
I done this paper, yesterday evening...

Right, so!?
She equation that you must use - and I will share in written form - is: Q (which you calculated through mCAT) divided by the one marker question in the mole (which I believe was 0.2mol)

Then, I believe it is twice the amount due to the moles of Ammonia Thiocyanate = 2 due to the stoichiometric ration.

= 23.1 kJmol^-1.

To two significant figures, 23 works out just fine!
And, then it must always be a negative value with the enthalpy of combustion - as I am sure you know. :smile:

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1370081604.405460.jpg
Clear? :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1263
[QUOTE="ellie2996;42900592"]The answer to (i) is 2310 but it needs to be converted to KJ so that will be 2.3

(iii) is asking for the enthalpy change of reaction, so all you do is divide the answer to (i) 2.3 by the answer to (ii) 0.200 moles, then make sure to times this by 2 :smile:))

this comes out as 23[/QUOTE

why times 2?
[QUOTE="Smko;42900666"]
Original post by ellie2996
The answer to (i) is 2310 but it needs to be converted to KJ so that will be 2.3

this comes out as 23[/QUOTE

why times 2?

because of the stoichiometric ration :smile:
Reply 1265
[QUOTE="ellie2996;42900678"]
Original post by Smko

I see! Thanks!! :biggrin: Good luck on Tuesday!
Original post by Ché.
Ah!
I done this paper, yesterday evening...

Right, so!?
She equation that you must use - and I will share in written form - is: Q (which you calculated through mCAT) divided by the one marker question in the mole (which I believe was 0.2mol)

Then, I believe it is twice the amount due to the moles of Ammonia Thiocyanate = 2 due to the stoichiometric ration.

= 23.1 kJmol^-1.

To two significant figures, 23 works out just fine!
And, then it must always be a negative value with the enthalpy of combustion - as I am sure you know. :smile:

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1370081604.405460.jpg
Clear? :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

When ever you are finding out the answer to these questions, and when the ask you for the number of moles of something, are you always finding one mole of the substance?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1267
[QUOTE="ellie2996;42900678"]
Original post by Smko

Okay I just didn't times it by two...I don't understand, why do you have to times by two? Is it because there's two moles of NH4SCN?
[QUOTE="Beths_7;42900705"]

Okay I just didn't times it by two...I don't understand, why do you have to times by two? Is it because there's two moles of NH4SCN?

yep :smile:
Reply 1269
[QUOTE="ellie2996;42900710"]
Original post by Beths_7

yep :smile:

Okay thank you! I thought that enthalpy change of reaction was for one mole though...:confused:
I got Bio Unit 2 Edexcel exam tomorrow and then Chemistry the next day... WHY?!
Reply 1271
Original post by Jimmy20002012
When ever you are finding out the answer to these questions, and when the ask you for the number of moles of something, are you always finding one mole of the substance?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Typically, you would do one mole without even checking the stoichiometry of the equation provided.
Most, if not all except this one, supplies an equation with one mole per reactant at least.
If that makes sense?

That question was a little awkward hence why I had to check the question again to figure out if that was needed; the knowledge from F321 was creeping on me!
LOL.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1272
Original post by scorpio22
thats an actually really good question.And one i find asking myself.
There is some areas such as mechanisms: electrophillic addition and nucleophillic sub.. learn the dipoles,movement of electrons etc
just learn it because it will come up somehow

boltzmann:temp or catalyst guranteed to come up
catalyst convertor process almost always comes up.

carbon capture almost comes up.
polymers;alcohol

I think this exam is about attention to detail, there is so many areas to make mistakes like writing incomplete instead of complete combustion.
drawing full displayed instead of sketal, significant figures. when it requests
There are also so many areas to get marks:

one thing that will definitely come up is definitions and enthalpy calculations.thats one i would encourgae to understand.
how to calculate formation from combustion
combustion from formation
enthalpy reaction
the reverse reaction activation etc

how to calculate formation from combustion
combustion from formation
enthalpy reaction
the reverse reaction activation I don't really know how to do that are there any questions I can do to practise on that please

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can anyone help me with working out enthalpy changes

Enthalpy change of:

reaction when given formation values
reaction when given combustion values
reaction when given average bond enthalpies
formation when given reaction values
formation when given combustion values
formation when given average bond enthalpies

I never know what to do, either products - reactants or reactants - products
Anybody got Jan 2013 paper ?
Anyone got any tips on how to learn the mechanisms? I just can't seem to get my head around them but they're worth so many marks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Completely confused myself :s-smilie: is an exothermic reaction bond breaking or bond making???
Completely confused myself :s-smilie: is an exothermic reaction bond breaking or bond making???

Endothermic = bond breaking (+ ve)
Exothermic = bond making (-ve)
:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
i was just wondering..if our ISA was about oxidation of alcohols will that be in the exam??

Latest

Trending

Trending