The Student Room Group

Medicine 2014 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by g.k.galloway
There are certainly a lot of avantages to it :smile: What force are you thinking?

Army:smile: How about yourself?

Also, I noticed on the current year 12's thread that you still have chem, biology, and physics to go - me too! Three exams in three days for me...
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by aspiring doctor!
Army:smile: How about yourself?

Also, I noticed on the current year 12's thread that you still have chem, biology, and physics to go - me too! Three exams in three days for me...

RAF or Navy :smile:

Yeh same :s-smilie: Chem is on tuesday afternoon and physics wednesday morning :frown: Biology should be okay though :smile:
RAF or Navy :smile:

Yeh same :s-smilie: Chem is on tuesday afternoon and physics wednesday morning :frown: Biology should be okay though :smile:

Same times for me, yeah biology is pretty easy, but I think chemistry and physics are pretty hard! :s-smilie:
Same times for me, yeah biology is pretty easy, but I think chemistry and physics are pretty hard! :s-smilie:

I hate unit 2 physics...but I think unit 1 went okay(ish) which is a bonus :smile:
I hate unit 2 physics...but I think unit 1 went okay(ish) which is a bonus :smile:

Same... which exam board are you doing?
Same... which exam board are you doing?

AQA :smile: you?

(OCR for bio and chem, edexcel for maths)
Would anybody mind giving me some advice please :smile:

I'm set on applying for medicine next year, however I'm not sure which university is best for me because I know they all look for different things so here's some features about me:
1) I have pretty good GCSEs (about 8 A*s)
2) I'm predicted AAAA at as/a level
3) I don't think ill be very good at the ukcat! I know you can't really speak now but it doesn't look my thing
4) I've done quite a bit of work experience in hospitals
5) I've been doing karate for almost 10 years and now reach younger pupils

If anybody could tell me which university's would 'like' my aspects? Or which university would be right for me? Thanks :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lauren1brown

I'm set on applying for medicine next year, however I'm not sure which university is best for me because I know they all look for different things so here's some features about me:
3) I don't think ill be very good at the ukcat! I know you can't really speak now but it doesn't look my thing

If anybody could tell me which university's would 'like' my aspects? Or which university would be right for me? Thanks :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Looking at what you've said, universities that look heavily at GCSE's but not the UKCAT are what you should be looking at.
I think these would be good for you:

Birmingham (don't use UKCAT and rank people's GCSE's for interviews)

Bristol (same as birmingham but only look at your top 8 GCSE's which would be ideal for you)

Edinburgh (more competitive that the two above and DO look at your UKCAT, however they look at GCSE's more than UKCAT)

Kings College London (highly competitive however they look at either your GCSE's OR your UKCAT score - whichever is higher)
(edited 10 years ago)
AQA :smile: you?

(OCR for bio and chem, edexcel for maths)

OCR - Physics
OCR B (Salters) - Chemistry
Edexcel - Biology
Edexcel - Maths

Are you doing the OCR A chem or OCR B (salters)? :smile:
And also how did you find maths?:smile:
Looking at what you've said, universities that look heavily at GCSE's but not the UKCAT are what you should be looking at.
I think these would be good for you:

Birmingham (don't use UKCAT and rank people's GCSE's for interviews)

Bristol (same as birmingham but only look at your top 8 GCSE's which would be ideal for you)

Edinburgh (more competitive that the two above and DO look at your UKCAT, however they look at GCSE's more than UKCAT)

Kings College London (highly competitive however they look at either your GCSE's OR your UKCAT score - whichever is higher)

Great that's really helpful thank you! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Great that's really helpful thank you! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're welcome! :biggrin:

With 8 A*s at GCSE, AAAA at AS and AAA+ predictions at A2, you can apply anywhere, as long as you're offering the right AS/A2 subjects (see the wiki article on 'A level requirements'). And if you take the UKCAT exam early enough, you'll be able to use the score to make final decisions about where to apply. This article in the wiki tells you which uni's put a lot of emphasis on UKCAT, and if your score isn't great, you should avoid them... http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Applying_to_Medical_School_using_your_Strengths
Newcastle operates a harsh UKCAT cutoff (>695), Nottingham puts a lot of weight (48%) on the UKCAT score, and others use it in various ways - you'll need to read the article.

Ideally, I'd advise prospective med students to have a year or so of volunteering in a caring environment, where they get to appreciate the relationships between staff/carers and patients/etc, backed up if possible with 1-2 weeks (or more) of clinical placements (shadowing). It's not clear what you mean by "quite a bit of work experience in hospitals" but check the wiki for info on the sorts of work experience you should be offering. You've still got plenty of time to address any problem areas though.

Good luck!
(edited 10 years ago)
OCR - Physics
OCR B (Salters) - Chemistry
Edexcel - Biology
Edexcel - Maths

Are you doing the OCR A chem or OCR B (salters)? :smile:
And also how did you find maths?:smile:

OCR A :smile:
I found maths okay, C1 and S1 especially. C2 was a little wobbly but not a catestrophic disaster (I hope!) :biggrin:
Original post by Pastaferian
With 8 A*s at GCSE, AAAA at AS and AAA+ predictions at A2, you can apply anywhere, as long as you're offering the right AS/A2 subjects (see the wiki article on 'A level requirements'). And if you take the UKCAT exam early enough, you'll be able to use the score to make final decisions about where to apply. This article in the wiki tells you which uni's put a lot of emphasis on UKCAT, and if your score isn't great, you should avoid them... http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Applying_to_Medical_School_using_your_Strengths
Newcastle operates a harsh UKCAT cutoff (>695), Nottingham puts a lot of weight (48%) on the UKCAT score, and others use it in various ways - you'll need to read the article.

Ideally, I'd advise prospective med students to have a year or so of volunteering in a caring environment, where they get to appreciate the relationships between staff/carers and patients/etc, backed up if possible with 1-2 weeks (or more) of clinical placements (shadowing). It's not clear what you mean by "quite a bit of work experience in hospitals" but check the wiki for info on the sorts of work experience you should be offering. You've still got plenty of time to address any problem areas though.

Good luck!

My caring experience will only be 6 months (I do have other long term volunteering, just not caring) where should I avoid?
My caring experience will only be 6 months (I do have other long term volunteering, just not caring) where should I avoid?

I probably should have included in the last post the caveat that it's all about quality, not quantity. If your volunteering gives you sufficient insights for your PS, and allows you to conclude that you're entering the right career, then you've probably done enough. In any case, I'm not sure that many universities will ask you how long you volunteered for - Nottingham did, but my others didn't.
I probably should have included in the last post the caveat that it's all about quality, not quantity. If your volunteering gives you sufficient insights for your PS, and allows you to conclude that you're entering the right career, then you've probably done enough. In any case, I'm not sure that many universities will ask you how long you volunteered for - Nottingham did, but my others didn't.

I've done 3 weeks work experience in hospitals :smile:
I've also had placements at Care homes and nurseries where I visited every Wednesday for a few months

Posted from TSR Mobile

Great thanks :smile: I know Manchester like long term volunteering but I wasn't too sure about others :smile:

Good luck!

My long term voluntary is at a youth club for disabled young people which I've just realised isn't really 'caring' as such :/ do you think I need to try and do some other more care-based volunteering over the next few months or could that, along with my hospital placements (2 for 5 days each) be enough ?
Original post by Dr. Django
My long term voluntary is at a youth club for disabled young people which I've just realised isn't really 'caring' as such :/ do you think I need to try and do some other more care-based volunteering over the next few months or could that, along with my hospital placements (2 for 5 days each) be enough ?

It's all about how you sell it in your personal statement / reflect upon it in interview.

Do you have voluntary work of any other nature? I didn't have much 'caring' voluntary work but did other stuff like St John Ambulance and mentoring.
Original post by TattyBoJangles
It's all about how you sell it in your personal statement / reflect upon it in interview.

Do you have voluntary work of any other nature? I didn't have much 'caring' voluntary work but did other stuff like St John Ambulance and mentoring.

Mines all with young people as it's all I could get at the time; volunterring in a primary school for 6 months, disability youth club for a year and then various roles within the school :smile:

Hopefully I can sort of incorporate 'caring' into my youth club voluntary as one of the members had brain surgery and afterwards was very reclusive as they had some memory loss and we basically managed to get them to open up and be sociable again; great experience :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending