The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by StUdEnTIGCSE
Well if you ever want to define a physical quantity you can form an equation and make the denominator equal to one. (If you want to define a unit then make both the numerator and denominator one)

voltage=energycharge voltage = \dfrac{energy}{charge}

So voltage is energy transferred per unit charge or per coulomb of charge. (And one volt is one joule transferred per coulomb charge).

This does not specify if it is inputting or outputting electrical energy. So we have emf.

Emf of a battery or cell is the total work done by the cell against both the internal and external circuits per coulomb of charge that passes through it. It is different to the terminal pd learnt at GCSE which does not recognise internal resistance so terminal PD is the work done by the cell in the external circuit only.

In other words emf is the total electrical energy provided to each coulomb of charge by a power supple. This energy is then used to do work in the internal circuit (against internal resistance) and in the external resistance. Lost volts us the work done in the internal circuit against internal resistance.

So emf=lost volt+terminal pd
Terminal PD= emf - lost volt

V=EIr V=E-Ir

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by sarah.102
Bit confused by what actually is emf and potential difference and the differences between them
also guys what does this syllabus statement mean
"investigate and explain how the potential along a uniform current-carrying wire
varies with the distance along it and how
this variation can be made use of in a
potential divider"

thanks in advance i appreciate it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 281
Original post by krisshP
Measuring wire resistivity

Thanks :-) is that it? I can't think of any others but seeing as there wasn't an experiment q in unit 1 I want to be prepared in case they throw one in for unit 2!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 282
Bit confused by what actually is emf and potential difference and the differences between them

Emf is energy transferred TO a charge as it passes through the power supply
Pd is the energy transferred FROM a charge to components in the external circuit

Posted from TSR Mobile
"investigate and explain how the potential along a uniform current-carrying wire
potential divider"

Well the syllabus statement is very important but takes a great deal of time to explain.
Hope this helps
http://www.s-cool.co.uk/a-level/physics/kirchoffs-laws-and-potential-dividers/revise-it/potential-dividers

The two things that you must remember are:

Firstly
[br]Resistance=resistivity×lengthcrosssectionalarea[br][br]Resistance =\dfrac{resistivity \times length} { cross sectional area}[br]
When the resistivity/material is the same as well as the cross sectional area resistance is directly proportional to length.

Secondly

Using V=IR when current is the same voltage is directly proportional to the resistance, and voltage is the same as in parallel.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 284
Original post by StUdEnTIGCSE
Well the syllabus statement is very important but takes a great deal of time to explain.
Hope this helps
http://www.s-cool.co.uk/a-level/physics/kirchoffs-laws-and-potential-dividers/revise-it/potential-dividers

The two things that you must remember are:

Firstly
[br]Resistance=resistivity×lengthcrosssectionalarea[br][br]Resistance =\dfrac{resistivity \times length} { cross sectional area}[br]
When the resistivity/material is the same as well as the cross sectional area resistance is directly proportional to length.

Secondly

Using V=IR when current is the same voltage is directly proportional to the resistance, and voltage is the same as in parallel.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Will potential divider questions ever involve emf also (I.e. if internal resistance is involved, what do I use as V in, the emf?)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 285
Original post by pureandmodest
must be a then:smile:

What about L I don't get it.
Reply 286
potential divider"

EMF is the amount of energy supplied to a unit charge coulomb.

PD is energy transferred from a unit charge coulomb to the circuit between two points.

The syllabus is just talking about potential dividers there.
Original post by krisshP
What about L I don't get it.

aw thats cute
and neither do i, but it would have to be a if N does stay the same?:c
Reply 288
Can somebody please explain q5 in Jan 2011. I know why N is same, but not L.
Original post by krisshP
Can somebody please explain q5 in Jan 2011. I know why N is same, but not L.

N isn't the same. The answer is D.

I will have a go at it.
Basically if M goes off the resistance in the circuit would increase, because of the parallel combination. Linking it to I=V/R if R increases then I, current, would decrease in the circuit. Linking this to power, P=IV, for bulb L there would be an increase in power, meaning an increase in brightness because of the increase incurrent. For N I am not too sure how the brightness would decrease.
Not 100% on this, so If anyone knows better please add and correct me if I was wrong.
Reply 290
Original post by B-Stacks
N isn't the same. The answer is D.

I will have a go at it.
Basically if M goes off the resistance in the circuit would increase, because of the parallel combination. Linking it to I=V/R if R increases then I, current, would decrease in the circuit. Linking this to power, P=IV, for bulb L there would be an increase in power, meaning an increase in brightness because of the increase incurrent. For N I am not too sure how the brightness would decrease.
Not 100% on this, so If anyone knows better please add and correct me if I was wrong.

If M goes off, do we say that resistance of M decreases, or do we say that there's no parallel combination and just a series of 2 lamps?
Original post by krisshP
Are you doing this exam? I thought you fortunately switched exam boards?

Yeah, I am

Idk what the science department are playing at tbh :tongue:
Reply 292
Anyone know how I would work out the reading on the voltmeter? :smile:
Reply 293
Original post by Sarahftw_
De Broglie's wavelength?

Something like that, yeah!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 294
Original post by LegendX
Anyone know how I would work out the reading on the voltmeter? :smile:

Yeah i want to know as well how to do (a) and (b).
Original post by Branny101
Something like that, yeah!

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's in A2.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Exam time and date fellas?
Reply 297
Jan 2012, q7. The answer is A but I don't get why! Thanks in advance :smile: phys q jan 12.png
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 298
Original post by stealth_writer
Exam time and date fellas?

Wed 5th June, 9am :smile:
Reply 299
Original post by wirralriddler
P.d across branches in parallel with the power supply are always equal to the voltage across the power supply I think. So the answer would just be 15v? :smile:

That's what I thought until I saw the R1 resistor and I realised it couldnt be.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending