The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nevarsan
Yeah and the third one is change in dietary requirements

Seeing as the exam is so close, which topics/module are you focusing on?
Reply 542
Jan 2013 Paper
Jan 2013 Mark Scheme

(the paper is a scan so sorry about the quality)
Reply 543
Original post by krishkmistry
Type of nutrition for a prokaryote ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

heterotrophic and autotrophic, depends what prokaryote.
Original post by nevarsan
Suggest why rhinos are endangered (2

Hunting for their horns
destruction of their habitat for agriculture?
Reply 546
Who's done June 2012 f212? WOW that paper killed me, i got 65/100 yet i was still 2 marks off an A :frown:(((
How's everyone choosing to revise now since it's only a few days to the exam?

Feel like I know all the stuff then look at a paper and panic :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 548
Reply 549
Original post by lauren1brown
How's everyone choosing to revise now since it's only a few days to the exam?

Feel like I know all the stuff then look at a paper and panic :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

First thing is first...
DO NOT.

I use to get this plenty of times; quite frankly with every Biology paper I have ever taken.
A great technique would be to strip the questions down - and I am really talking about the "suggest" or the blatant application questions with Evolution and all - and say to yourself: "What relates to this question that I have studied?"

Literally, everything in that examination you know - and you've said it yourself. :biggrin:
It is the matter of complying with their mark scheme...
I can't count how many times - including this moment right now - that I have had the feeling that the mark scheme is super simple and rather easy to comply with but we stress about it...

The phrasing of the question?
Conjoined themes from different modules?
That could f**k any candidate over - as if being under stress and nervous isn't enough!

Take a paper... Recollect your ideas for what you think they want you to mention... You're sorted.
It'll help you see beyond their ridiculous attempts to throw us off with the same content but different phrasing.

:smile::wink::biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 550
Original post by joe1545
Who's done June 2012 f212? WOW that paper killed me, i got 65/100 yet i was still 2 marks off an A :frown:(((

I automatically thought to myself for a minute: "Oh, that's a C."
I completely forgot that it has been a decent boundary almost for the last three years!
>_<

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 551
Original post by Ché.
First thing is first...
DO NOT.

I use to get this plenty of times; quite frankly with every Biology paper I have ever taken.
A great technique would be to strip the questions down - and I am really talking about the "suggest" or the blatant application questions with Evolution and all - and say to yourself: "What relates to this question that I have studied?"

Literally, everything in that examination you know - and you've said it yourself. :biggrin:
It is the matter of complying with their mark scheme...
I can't count how many times - including this moment right now - that I have had the feeling that the mark scheme is super simple and rather easy to comply with but we stress about it...

The phrasing of the question?
Conjoined themes from different modules?
That could f**k any candidate over - as if being under stress and nervous isn't enough!

Take a paper... Recollect your ideas for what you think they want you to mention... You're sorted.
It'll help you see beyond their ridiculous attempts to throw us off with the same content but different phrasing.

:smile::wink::biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah that's made me feel alot better thank you :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 553
can someone help me with T lymphocytes and B lymphocytes and macrophages and all please??

I dont get clonal expansion and clonal selection :frown:
Original post by joe1545

it was a hard paper hence the low boundary.
I dont think its ever been higher than high 70s for an A, which is good.
Reply 555
Original post by lauren1brown
Ah that's made me feel alot better thank you :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're very welcome!
I know majority of you guys on Student Room are amazing, anyway...
Keep revising but most of you guys have nothing to worry about!
Hard workers at their best = HERE!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 556
Original post by Farhat16
can someone help me with T lymphocytes and B lymphocytes and macrophages and all please??

I dont get clonal expansion and clonal selection :frown:

Sure!
I can give it a go...

CLONAL SELECTION (1):
T-lymphocytes actually are activated after antigen presentation at its initial stage.
They are activated in their various forms - the ones we need to know are:
- Helper T;
- Killer T;
- Memory T.

This is where the T-memory cells have already been differentiated and obviously stored as a source of immunological memory.

CLONAL EXPANSION (1):
- Following the release of cytokines - which we can remember as signal chemicals - then allow the stimulation of B-lymphocyte activation. It must be known that for successful activation, B-lymphocytes AND the T-helper cells must be present.

These processes both happen again in a very similar format...
The only difference is that the B-lymphocytes will obviously be covered in antibodies which will divide by mitosis in their genetically identical clones we call plasma cells.

So, in effect, Clonal Selection and Expansion occur twice in the space of your typical immune response.

One thing to clear up too is the difference in T and B lymphocytes in the form of memory cells.
T - Records the immunological memory for ANTIGENS needed for the identical strain from the primary response ;
B - records the immunological memory of ANTIBODIES needed for the identical strain from the primary response.

Is this clear enough!?
:biggrin::wink::smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 557
Any1 up for revision? :biggrin:
I feel like crying .... the biodiversity module is so hard :dontknow:
Reply 559
Original post by BioGeek
Any1 up for revision? :biggrin:

Yes, yes!
I am up for it...