The Student Room Group

OCR AS Psychology: G542: Core Studies - Wednesday 5th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by qs2xo
i like to start off with section a as it holds the most marks. section b is okay and section c is fairly straight forward and always follows the same structure

Yeah same wouldnt feel right starting from the back (well for me)
When writing a PEE and the point is "This study breaks one of the ethical guidelines", I never really understand what to pur for explanation(the last E)?
Reply 642
Original post by random1234567
Why you gonna revise it only for Baron?

Just because its very likely to come up in Section B, but I am briefly for the others as well. Is it for definite that a changes and implications question will come up? what else do you think could? :smile:
Reply 643
Original post by DEb96
Just because its very likely to come up in Section B, but I am briefly for the others as well. Is it for definite that a changes and implications question will come up? what else do you think could? :smile:

changes and implications always seems to be asked in section b. They also may ask you to outline findings of the study (usually a 6 mark question) or describe the procedure of the study (normally an 8 mark question).
Reply 644
For the first E, give an example of how it breaks the ethical guidelines, (e.g. showing participants clips of car crashes) and for the last E, explain why it does (e.g. may bring back traumatic experiences and so cause psychological harm) :smile:
Section B revision Tips/techniques?
What to revise/which studies?

Also, Changes/Implications for Baron Cohen please anyone?
Is it ok if someone could mark an answer relating to a section B question that I put up later on here? It would count as revision for you to. :smile:
Original post by Simran Mars Foster
Is it ok if someone could mark an answer relating to a section B question that I put up later on here? It would count as revision for you to. :smile:

sure, i'll have a go i suppose! i find i'm not good at marking my own work so hopefully im better at marking some one elses!
Has anyone done good model answers for section b for any one of the studies especially for questions e.) and f.) Because I can't find myself having time to do those when I have got soooooo much to yet revise I would really appreciate it thank you because that way I would be able to follow your example and apply it to the other studies thank you a bunch!! :wink:
And when you outline the findings do you basically say 8 findings for an 8 marker?? Or state 4 findings and explain/ give examples?? Which one is it because I'm just totally confused :/ and thank you :smile: again!!
Reply 650
My teacher gave us all the changes in class in model answers! Three for each study
Reply 651
Original post by Becky.96
My teacher gave us all the changes in class in model answers! Three for each study
could you somehow upload it on here pleaaaase? it would be very helpful as that's where I seem to loose marks on :smile:
Could someone please tell me what mark this would get for changes and implications of Loftus and Palmer? Honestly! Ignore grammer and spelling. This is my first shot at one this type of question. :erm:

One change that i would make the study is to conduct a field experiment rather then a labortatory one like Loftus and Palmer. A real life crash could be arranged by stunt actors which would take place in a local place such as near a town centre or local park. The crash could take place on a weekend and noon when supposidly, the environment is busiest. The people who were at the scene of the crash near the chosen environment would be the participantkes and considered witnesses as fake police men arrive at the scene. The participants wold have to make a satement of which give given a question' how fast were the card going tcey Smashed hit bumped collided or contacted each other as asked my the poilce officer to different participants. The fake police men would then note down the responses according te so the verbel label given for a large selection of the Participants. Th e study would be high in EV as it is set in a real life environment rather then an artificial one such like L and P in a lab. Issues of DC and SDB would also be eliminated as the Participants wouldn't know they are in an experiment. Behavour will be natural so the validity of the study/findings be high.

Another change i would also make to the study is the sample. L and P sample consisted of uni students therefore a particular age group. The study could be changed to use opperunity sampling by conducting the crash near a shopping centre on a weekend at noon. This would ensure a representative sample as for there will be a range of age groups of those who are aroung the environment at the time. The weekend means that the majourity of adults will at work making the sample representative and not just students who may not have much experience of driving compared to older people. This would make the sample more generalisable so the result can be generealised to others, increasing the validity of the experiment
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 653
I cant upload them as I dont have my laptop :frown: we only finished all the studies last week because of the detail we did them in! But i think its quite easy to make up changes by just remebering the key areas to change: low ev, snapshot to longitudianal and quant to qual! It would be hard work learning all the model answers! Hows everyone on the reliability and validty questions and the usefulness ones?
Reply 654
Original post by Becky.96
I cant upload them as I dont have my laptop :frown: we only finished all the studies last week because of the detail we did them in! But i think its quite easy to make up changes by just remebering the key areas to change: low ev, snapshot to longitudianal and quant to qual! It would be hard work learning all the model answers! Hows everyone on the reliability and validty questions and the usefulness ones?
oh okay no worries, aha I didn't want to learn them, I just wanted a rough idea on points I could mention
Reply 655
Hey guys, can someone please help me by explaining how Dement and Klietmans dream study was useful?
Thanks
Does anyone have any tips or anything?

Basically I know very little about each study. I'm learning stuff but its going quite slow. Is there anything I can specifically do apart revise of course, lol. Any sort of quick tips...
Reply 657
Original post by >Username<
Does anyone have any tips or anything?

Basically I know very little about each study. I'm learning stuff but its going quite slow. Is there anything I can specifically do apart revise of course, lol. Any sort of quick tips...

To everyone, I really doubt L+P and Baron will both come up, it is rare for them to put 2 studies from the same approach in Section B.

To Username, what I suggest is getting notes done for each case study (yeap, all 15) but learning two studies from each approach in detail - so that's 10. By detail I mean really knowing how to answer the big markers in section B. This is my method and might not suit anyone else, as there is a very rare risk that the ones not revised come up, but I'm taking that risk.

As for assumptions, I am struggling myself. Since Jan 10, Psychodynamic and Physiological have not come up, so there is a chance that it could be them on Wednesday. Best of luck guys.
Reply 658
A teacher t0ld me that 0CR w0uld never put two perspectives as the 0pti0ns f0r Secti0n C (s0 there'd never be a ch0ice between psych0dynamic and behavi0urist). I was just w0ndering if this was true? If n0t, I'm kind 0f screwed 0_0
I think Behavourist will come up because it hasn't for a while.

Quick Reply

Latest