The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Quick question: How do you know whether an alcohol is primary or secondary just by knowing the name of the alcohol? e.g ethanol is a primary alcohol but how do we know that? :confused:
Original post by Sumi Prakash
Quick question: How do you know whether an alcohol is primary or secondary just by knowing the name of the alcohol? e.g ethanol is a primary alcohol but how do we know that? :confused:

They should number the OH group, ie Propan-2-ol the OH group is on carbon 2, so it is secondary, propan-1-ol is primary, however ethanol will always form a primary alcahol as it will always be at the end of the chain.
Original post by joe1545
They should number the OH group, ie Propan-2-ol the OH group is on carbon 2, so it is secondary, propan-1-ol is primary, however ethanol will always form a primary alcahol as it will always be at the end of the chain.

So any alcohol which has its OH group attached to the first carbon atom is a primary alcohol?
Reply 1303
Original post by Jimmy20002012
Well it an actual question about them, but they have asked questions about how to reduce greenhouse emissions where one of the mark scheme answers are protocols such as the Montreal and Kyoto protocol has been developed which allow countries to work together in order to reduce greenhouse emissions. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Sumi Prakash
So any alcohol which has its OH group attached to the first carbon atom is a primary alcohol?

Yup, and if the OH is in the middle it is secondary, and if the OH is bound to a carbon which is bound to two more carbons it is tertiary, the best way is to quckly draw it out by the side of the question then cross it out afterwards so it doesnt get marked :smile:
Has anyone put up the Jan 2013 paper and markscheme previously that i may have missed???
Original post by joe1545
Has anyone put up the Jan 2013 paper and markscheme previously that i may have missed???

I have added it in the OP :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
does anybody use hess's cycle when doing enthalpy?
Does anyone know this for sure?
At the start of the paper it says "use black ink only, pencil can be used for graphs and diagrams"
When drawing displayed structures and mechanisms, I have to draw them with pencil first in case I make a mistake and use up all the space, do these count as diagrams? I don't really want to waste time going over it all with pen.. never know what 30 more seconds can do for you in an exam hahah. Anyone know if I can just leave them as pencil drawings?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1309
Original post by That_Clever_Guy
does anybody use hess's cycle when doing enthalpy?

I do to make sure but there is no need to if you can remember the formula's.
Original post by coco_madem0iselle
Does anyone know this for sure?
At the start of the paper it says "use black ink only, pencil can be used for graphs and diagrams"
When drawing displayed structures and mechanisms, I have to draw them with pencil first in case I make a mistake and use up all the space, do these count as diagrams? I don't really want to waste time going over it all with pen.. never know what 30 more seconds can do for you in an exam hahah. Anyone know if I can just leave them as pencil drawings?

Posted from TSR Mobile

quite a lot of organic structure drawing questions come up in the paper so I think it's best to do them in pen, but I doubt they would just not mark it if it was done in pencil. just doubting how clear pencil would come up on the screen after its scanned.
Original post by needtosucceed=)
quite a lot of organic structure drawing questions come up in the paper so I think it's best to do them in pen, but I doubt they would just not mark it if it was done in pencil. just doubting how clear pencil would come up on the screen after its scanned.

They say on the front of the paper, that pencil can be used in diagrams or drawings :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by joe1545
Yup, and if the OH is in the middle it is secondary, and if the OH is bound to a carbon which is bound to two more carbons it is tertiary, the best way is to quckly draw it out by the side of the question then cross it out afterwards so it doesnt get marked :smile:

Okay. Thanks a lot :biggrin:
sdfghjhgfdsdfg.png

Here's a challenging question for you all - if you can do this you can do any on the exam. :cool:

asdfghj.png

Even harder :eek:
(edited 10 years ago)
Can someone please link the page to the jan 2013 paper?
Original post by GeneralOJB
sdfghjhgfdsdfg.png

Here's a challenging question for you all - if you can do this you can do any on the exam. :cool:

asdfghj.png

Even harder :eek:

Yehh!!! i always wonder how to do these questions... even the ones January 2012 Q 3B (ii)
Original post by yodawg321

it's in the OP
Original post by yodawg321

January 2013 F322 Paper:

lol ... incase others ask so they know it's here...

:wink:
Reply 1318
how many UMS marks are needed for an A at AS level?
Original post by Sum786
how many UMS marks are needed for an A at AS level?

240/300 :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending