The Student Room Group

Edexcel 6BIO2 ~ 3rd June 2013 ~ AS Biology

Scroll to see replies

Original post by daniya12
A selective pressure is a 'force' that causes a particular organism to evolve in a certain direction; limits of resources, predators, disease, adverse weather etc etc
In the case where there is a selective pressure, those with an allele that proves to be advantageous will have the selective advantage- they will survive, reproduce, and the frequency of that allele will increase- it is a directional selection.

Does that help? :smile:

i dont get the term the change in the environment causes a change in the selection pressure? i thought the selection pressure was the change?
i dont make sense :/ lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1001
Original post by Rubyturner94
it is :/ now im even confused as to where they are located.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Im pretty sure it is definitely that primary= cellulose micro fibrils in the same direction and secondary= different direction.
Think about it: primary cell walls are thin and flexible, whereas a secondary wall is developed as the plant ages, and it is much more thick and rigid..... so the micro fibrils must be orientated at different angles.
As for their positions; yeah I'm kinda confused to but it seems to be
-Middle Lamell
-Primary cell wall
-Secondary cell
-Plasma membrane
...Essentially the middle lamella seems the top layer:
cellwallfigure1.jpg
And then the primary cell wall, and eventually as the plant ages, a secondary cell wall wil develop under the primary cell wall, and before the plasma membrane

Original post by daniya12
Im pretty sure it is definitely that primary= cellulose micro fibrils in the same direction and secondary= different direction.
Think about it: primary cell walls are thin and flexible, whereas a secondary wall is developed as the plant ages, and it is much more thick and rigid..... so the micro fibrils must be orientated at different angles.
As for their positions; yeah I'm kinda confused to but it seems to be
-Middle Lamell
-Primary cell wall
-Secondary cell
-Plasma membrane
...Essentially the middle lamella seems the top layer:
cellwallfigure1.jpg
And then the primary cell wall, and eventually as the plant ages, a secondary cell wall wil develop under the primary cell wall, and before the plasma membrane

yh its make sense that way, thanks :smile:
but i dont understand why the text books say diffeeent things

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi, Can someone please help me with question 8)b)v) from the January 2012 paper the question is to Describe and explain the effect on the mean error rate per rat for maze-bright rats when they grew up in normal cage conditions and enriched cage conditions. The answer in the mark scheme says -No difference -Having maximum potential/ genetic potential. What do they mean by (having maximum potential/ genetic potential). Thank you :smile:
Reply 1004
Original post by maryam1996
Hi, Can someone please help me with question 8)b)v) from the January 2012 paper the question is to Describe and explain the effect on the mean error rate per rat for maze-bright rats when they grew up in normal cage conditions and enriched cage conditions. The answer in the mark scheme says -No difference -Having maximum potential/ genetic potential. What do they mean by (having maximum potential/ genetic potential). Thank you :smile:

As there is no difference between the error rate, you can assume that the environment did not have an effect on the rats ability, so it must be the genotype. But as they are genetically similar, both being maze bright, they will have the same ability and both have the same/ similar potential/
Reply 1005
hey, does anyone know what we need to know about the taxonomic hierachical system?
Original post by Rubyturner94
in the.red snab book it doesnt say that. and also in the mark scheme.

Posted from TSR Mobile

this is disturbing. Thats why I hate Biology. Cant there be more consistency?"? :angry:
hey can some one sum up the ethics of using stem cells? :biggrin:
Original post by StUdEnTIGCSE
this is disturbing. Thats why I hate Biology. Cant there be more consistency?"? :angry:

This. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Help....shall i write 3 or 4 or 5 or 6 points here? three.JPG
Original post by Daniel Atieh

i always try and write more just to be on the safe side but three valid points should be sufficient
Original post by Daniel Atieh

Unlike in Chemistry they don't penalise inaccurate information.
I guess :tongue:
So write as many as that come in your head

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mynameisntbobk
that diagram's wrong, where did it come from?

Original post by Branny101
Google and research, this is what is shown.
Maybe it is because plants grow from inside out ( hence the concentric rings in the bark)?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The diagram not wrong.
If you see closely primary cell wall is actually the inner layer, secondary cell wall is the outer layer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well between two daughter cells first is the middle lamella formed, then the primary wall then OVER it the secondary cell wall.
The diagram agrees.
The secondary wall is inner to the cell, the primary cell wall is outer to the cell.
The secondary cell wall is outer to the boundary of the cell and the primary cell wall is inner to the boundary.
We both mean the same thing...:tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1014
Has anyone got the jan 13 unit paper to hand? I would look through the thread but it may take a while.. :rolleyes:
Original post by Ingamo
Has anyone got the jan 13 unit paper to hand? I would look through the thread but it may take a while.. :rolleyes:
Jan 2013 Unit 2 MS.pdfJan 2013 Unit 2 QP.pdf
so have we come to a conclusion as to where secondary and primary cell wall are? and the way the micrifbrils and arranged im each?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1017
Does crossing over of chromatids happen and then independent assortment happen?
Or are they complete different things?! IM CONFUSED HELP ME PLEASE ANYONE
Reply 1018
Anyone wanna give a guess at the grade boundaries for the Specimen paper?
Could someone list all the topics that we NEED to know, because I don't want to be studying topics like epistatis if it's not actually in the syllabus.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending