The Student Room Group

Edexcel - Chemistry Unit 2 - 4 June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by charlieejobson
do we need to be able to test for halogenoalkanes?

You might be asked to distinguist between an alcohol and haloalkane, but thats fairly simple.. You may also be asked to identify a halide.
but for example do tertiary halogenoalkanes always react the fastest with water when doing an sn1 reaction? and then primary always the fastest when doing an sn2?

Yeah, sn2 is favoured by primary, sn1 is favoured by tertiary.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by geor
You wouldn't set out to do a "Sn1 reaction". The reaction would go by the mechanism with the lowest energy. So tertiary is always the fastest.

This.
Reply 563
can anyone tell me all de experimental setups dat may come for sketching???
Why does the reducing power of a halide ion increase down group 7? Thanks
Original post by HarryMWilliams
You might be asked to distinguist between an alcohol and haloalkane, but thats fairly simple.. You may also be asked to identify a halide.

sorry how would i distinguish between an alcohol and a halogenoalkane?
Reply 566
do we need to be able to test for halogenoalkanes?

Yup heat it with NaOH

(halogen will be liberated)

Add dilute nitric acid (don't think you need the reason... but it's to avoid interference from other ions or something)

Then add silver nitrated :smile: You should know from unit 1:
AgCl - white precipitate, soluble in dilute ammonia
AgBr - Cream precipitate, solube only in conc. ammonia
AgI - Yellow Precipitate, insoluble in both dilute & conc. ammonia!
sorry how would i distinguish between an alcohol and a halogenoalkane?

I believe posthumus has explained that perfectly above. :biggrin:
Reply 568
Original post by geor
You wouldn't be expected to draw it, but you could be asked about it! (like multiple choice question)

oh alright then that's fine :biggrin: thanks!
Reply 569
Reading my textbook on preparation of 1-bromobutane from butan-1-ol. Apparently you purify the impure product with HCl to remove unreacted butan-1-ol. How does this help purify it? Doesn't it just make 1-chlorobutane? Confused :s

Posted from TSR Mobile
does anyone know what it means by this in the syallbus: demonstrate an understanding of why it is helpful to classify reagents (in the mechanisms part!)
does anyone know what it means by this in the syallbus: demonstrate an understanding of why it is helpful to classify reagents (in the mechanisms part!)

So we can synthesize complex products from other reagents - example, we can make a carboxylic acid from crude oil. Just have an understanding of the whole point of classification.
Reply 572

An understanding of different reagents such as... free radicals, nucleophiles, electrophiles??? :smile: (if it hasn't been mentioned already)

EDIT: Oh wait I think Harry has the better answer :biggrin: Each functional group gives the compound unique properties. It could also be talking about primary, secondary & tertiary.... like primary undergoes sn2, while tertiary sn1
(edited 10 years ago)
have we covered free radical elimination? or is it just substitution?
Guys for the testing for Halogenoalkanes, some books just say add Silver Nitrate solution, whilst others say add Sodium Hydroxide/Water and THEN Silver Nitrate solution. I personally think you'd have to add the Sodium Hydroxide first, to liberate the Halide ion which would then react with the Silver Ions, BUT does silver nitrate in 'solution' means it has Water, so you can just say Silver nitrate solution?
Original post by geor
Silver nitrate solution does mean with water, yes. Probably better to say aqueous silver nitrate though.

Ok so to differentiate between Halogenoalkanes, you'd say add 'Aqueous Silver Nitrate'? Followed by Ammonia solution to test the percipitate itself....
Original post by GCSE-help
Guys for the testing for Halogenoalkanes, some books just say add Silver Nitrate solution, whilst others say add Sodium Hydroxide/Water and THEN Silver Nitrate solution. I personally think you'd have to add the Sodium Hydroxide first, to liberate the Halide ion which would then react with the Silver Ions, BUT does silver nitrate in 'solution' means it has Water, so you can just say Silver nitrate solution?

Make sure you understand what you've written there, the first "part", where you add the NaOH (in water) to the haloalkane is just converting it to an alcohol. As a consequence you are also liberating the halide ion which you can then test with the aqueous silver nitrate solution.
Original post by HarryMWilliams
Make sure you understand what you've written there, the first "part", where you add the NaOH (in water) to the haloalkane is just converting it to an alcohol. As a consequence you are also liberating the halide ion which you can then test with the aqueous silver nitrate solution.

Yeah I think what I said more or less explained that right? The halide ion is liberated which then reacts with the Silver ions to form a characteristically coloured percipitate.

Thanks anyway:smile:
Reply 578
Anyone have any predictions as to what might come up?
Reply 579
Original post by JonnyD
Reading my textbook on preparation of 1-bromobutane from butan-1-ol. Apparently you purify the impure product with HCl to remove unreacted butan-1-ol. How does this help purify it? Doesn't it just make 1-chlorobutane? Confused :s

Posted from TSR Mobile

Anyone? :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending