Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, I was there this afternoon.
Reply 2724
Original post by RamocitoMorales
Do I detect sarcasm? :hmmm:

not sure...
Do I detect sarcasm? :hmmm:

I find their actions laughable. They want to save trees and the environment, but they burn things, covering the city in black smoke. I don't even want to talk about the damage done to people and their properties, smashing their shop windows in and harming pedestrians.
I just hope this isn't another 1/05/1977 event.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Username97
I find their actions laughable. They want to save trees and the environment, but they burn things, covering the city in black smoke. I don't even want to talk about the damage done to people and their properties, smashing their shop windows in and harming pedestrians.

I don't think it's about the 'trees' anymore, but rather the level of police brutality and authoritarian government.
I don't think it's about the 'trees' anymore, but rather the level of police brutality and authoritarian government.

Agreed. All the newspaper articles are making us look like Syria, it's actually embarrassing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Agreed. All the newspaper articles are making us look like Syria, it's actually embarrassing.

The portrayal appears to be of an oppressed population rising against an Islamist government. Although this is not strictly true, my contacts in Turkey are genuinely disgruntled with the current government and many people are protesting in whatever way they can.
Reply 2729

Posted from TSR Mobile

485736_10151648226736248_968072866_n.jpg

It's not only about the "trees" as Ramocito said.
The portrayal appears to be of an oppressed population rising against an Islamist government. Although this is not strictly true, my contacts in Turkey are genuinely disgruntled with the current government and many people are protesting in whatever way they can.

I really have no idea what the government has done to make the public hate them, to the extent it's come to. My contacts in Turkey favour Erdogan; most voted for him, because ever since he has come into power all they have seen has been improvement.

What I also fail to understand is why this country wants a PM of Kurdish descent.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2731

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's not really about trees. I mean, it started out as that - saving a park (an important one nonetheless as public parks make up a very very small portion of the land in Istanbul) - but has now snowballed into what could potentially turn into a national uprising.

My understanding of it is that the AKP gets so much hate because they view themselves as the ultimate power, they act on their own intentions and not of the common peoples. They have become less prone to accountability because they have replaced and corrupted much of the military and politics in Turkey and have changed the secular stance of Turkey into an Islamic one. In Turkey, the military have a history of intervening in politics and they are capable of removing elected parties. But, since Erdogans AKP have replaced top military officials with their own carefully selected puppets, they effectively control that power. They have disabled the one-way that was capable of prematurely ending their governance and thus do not have to answer to anyone.

This started out as a simple and peaceful protest (from what I saw) but because of the brutal control methods by the police, it has catalysed into this.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Mr.Messy
It's not really about trees. I mean, it started out as that - saving a park (an important one nonetheless as public parks make up a very very small portion of the land in Istanbul) - but has now snowballed into what could potentially turn into a national uprising.

My understanding of it is that the AKP gets so much hate because they view themselves as the ultimate power, they act on their own intentions and not of the common peoples. They have become less prone to accountability because they have replaced and corrupted much of the military and politics in Turkey and have changed the secular stance of Turkey into an Islamic one. In Turkey, the military have a history of intervening in politics and they are capable of removing elected parties. But, since Erdogans AKP have replaced top military officials with their own carefully selected puppets, they effectively control that power. They have disabled the one-way that was capable of prematurely ending their governance and thus do not have to answer to anyone.

This started out as a simple and peaceful protest (from what I saw) but because of the brutal control methods by the police, it has catalysed into this.

I don't think it's completely down to the police, though. It is the police's job to ensure the protests are safe, and I've see footage of rioters attacking innocent civilians, who were actually trying to get to their exams. Not to mention them harming people's property.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2733
Are you there protesting with them?

About trees?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wonder when all of this is going to stop...

And what the outcome will be, if anything.
Reply 2735
All my plans and dreams visiting Istanbul this September have died :frown: Parents won't allow
Original post by lNurl
All my plans and dreams visiting Istanbul this September have died :frown: Parents won't allow

I don't see why not, my brother's there at the moment.
Reply 2737
I don't see why not, my brother's there at the moment.

My parents think it's dangerous. But probably we will go there next summer :frown:
Original post by lNurl
My parents think it's dangerous. But probably we will go there next summer :frown:

As with any protests most of the time, you just ought to avoid the areas where they are taking place, and thats it. :smile:

I am going this summer, it will most likely be over by then anyway. :yes:
Reply 2739
Original post by Sgt.Incontro
As with any protests most of the time, you just ought to avoid the areas where they are taking place, and thats it. :smile:

I am going this summer, it will most likely be over by then anyway. :yes:

It is solo hard to explain all this to parents. They think all city is burning or something :wink: we (my family) never been in the turkey, probably we shouldn't risk :wink: but it's my dream to visit turkey one day :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending