The Student Room Group

Edexcel M2/M3 June 6th/10th 2013

Scroll to see replies

can anyone clarify something for me. in the syllabus it says C3 is a prerequisit to M2 but then it goes on too say that differentiation will only be that expected in C2. then in my textbook their are questions about differenciating trig functions and chain rule etc. so what exactly do i need to knwo from C3
thanks
Original post by JayJay95
Hey guys

Cab anyone explain 8c in the jan 2010 paper as i literally have no idea how the answer comes about. Same with 7b i dont know where the '6' comes from

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Hamburglar
I second this, 8c just looks really weird and the mark scheme doesn't explain it well.

Thanks

Original post by Anonymous1717
So do I :/

Okayy well this took about half an hour of my time of figuring out the mark scheme because i couldnt get the answer but i understand it now, so remembering dy/dx is the gradient function by finding the derivative, you find the gradient, so y=cx- 4.9x^2/u^2 >>>>dy/dx= c-x/5, the next part of the mark scheme makes x=0, by remembering that (xi +yj) is the position vector, by putting x=0 into this equation this means p hasnt moved in the i direction, and would still be at the origin, therefore the value for dy/dx when x=0 (dy/dx= c when x=0) is the gradient when particle is projected, so if later on the velocity is at right angles, then the gradient at this point is -1/c, perpendicular gradient being the negative reciprocal, then by going back to the general formula for the gradient at any point>>>>dy/dx= c-x/5, you can equate your equation for general gradient and the gradient at the point where its at right angles, and solve for x, hope this helps

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 142
Does anyone know roughly how many raw marks I will need for M2 for 30-40UMS ?
Original post by ol7

usually 40-41/75 for 40 ums

but is sometimes in the 30s
Original post by ol7

Original post by nahomyemane778
usually 40-41/75 for 40 ums

but is sometimes in the 30s

No its never in the 40s, its at the lowest late 20s and highest late 30s, averages at 33 34

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JenniS
Hey,

I couldn't find a page already set up for M2 and M3 this summer so I thought I'd create one. If there's already a thread please send me to it :tongue:

But yeh post questions, tips, standard stuff etc

:smile:

hows M3 going, i really need help, can you help me?
Reply 146
Original post by study beats
hows M3 going, i really need help, can you help me?

I'm not very good at M3, I'll have a go? if I can't hopefully someone else here can :smile:
Original post by JenniS
I'm not very good at M3, I'll have a go? if I can't hopefully someone else here can :smile:

are u doing M3?
Reply 148
Original post by study beats
are u doing M3?

yeh, a week on monday....
Original post by MLogan
If our paper is anything like the jan 10 paper , Good Bye Uni :'(

It won't be anything like Jan 10 :smile:
Original post by JenniS

do u wanna go through past papers with me then?
Original post by matthew mc I
can anyone clarify something for me. in the syllabus it says C3 is a prerequisit to M2 but then it goes on too say that differentiation will only be that expected in C2. then in my textbook their are questions about differenciating trig functions and chain rule etc. so what exactly do i need to knwo from C3
thanks

you in yr 12? I'd say trig functions like inverse trig functions and addition rule, double angle formula, (but these are given in the formula booklet under the C3 section), C3 differentiation has never come up so I don't think we'll need to know it.
Original post by JenniS

You'll be fine, I've got FP1 on that day :tongue:
Reply 153
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
It won't be anything like Jan 10 :smile:

lol How could you be so sure :wink: ?
Original post by MLogan
lol How could you be so sure :wink: ?

Jan 2010 was clearly an outlier :tongue:
there gonna r4p3333333 us next week with the m2 paper Jan 13 was a jokeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Original post by TheGoldenRatio
there gonna r4p3333333 us next week with the m2 paper Jan 13 was a jokeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Except for Q7...
Except for Q7...

only part C :biggrin:
Original post by TheGoldenRatio
only part C :biggrin:

All you had to do was Speed of B > Speed of A :tongue:
All you had to do was Speed of B > Speed of A :tongue:

if it was only that then why were u complaining :p:p:tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest