The Student Room Group

A2 Economics - F585 June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Namige
Are most of you resitters, or doing both A2 units in june?

Im resitting, did you do the January exam?
Reply 301
Original post by student_o201
i noticed this aswell, i think it may just be talking about that trading partners wont want to trade with latvia anymore because the exchange rate of their currency to the euro may cause it to be more expensive for them to carry on trading with latvia

i hope this makes sense

Yes I thought it might be to do with exchange rates too, but if they're joining the Euro they will have had to enter ERMII anyway so their exchange rate will be quite close (+/- 15%) to the Euro in value already. Given this I don't see how exchange rates account for trade diversion either.

I was just wondering about this whole point because it could be a really good thing to bring up if we get asked the case for Latvia joining the Euro, however having thought about it I just don't see how it's even correct
Reply 302
Original post by Alexdoble
Im resitting, did you do the January exam?
Yes. Good luck. I can imagine it being difficult as it required a lot of class work when I did it. So resitting it would mean lots of self teaching :s-smilie:
Original post by Namige
Are most of you resitters, or doing both A2 units in june?

Resitting and doing both in June

Did global in Jan, got a C and got Transport F584 too
Especially as ive not been in school for 3 months so had no teaching on it!
Scrwed for glboal srs, no idea where to begin :s-smilie:
Original post by Namige
Yes. Good luck. I can imagine it being difficult as it required a lot of class work when I did it. So resitting it would mean lots of self teaching :s-smilie:

Yeah i was surprised how much i remembered though from the january module, the january module was very easy though as the grade boundaries showed, you needed 48/60 for an A when most years only require on average 41/50 for an A.

I got my paper back from the exam board and i found i struggled with exam technique, for example i only got 12 marks on the essay as i did not include any alternatives to FDI.

Im however struggling to understand how to get into level 4 mark band 2 for this essay and im not convinced that they will be asking for alternatives to sustainable development.

All i can think is how they could ask for alternative policies which Estonia could follow in order to promote their sutainable development goals.

Sustainable development indicators.docx

Attached is something i just created for everyone, its just putting all the information given to me in 'Estonia 21' and put into a decent form which people can understand. The source can be found here:

http://www.envir.ee/orb.aw/class=file/action=preview/id=166311/SE21_eng_web.pdf

Im gonna now think about how factors such as FDI and export promotion which lead to Economic Growth can help Estonia achieve these indicators.

Hope this helps people
Reply 305
Original post by crazyangelg
Hello please could I have a copy :colondollar:. Would be so much help. Thanks in advance!
My email address Is [email protected]

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, yes I've just sent it now.
Consists of 7 attachments, not sure as to why its not just one file
hope its helpful!
Reply 306
Hey Guys,
Could anyone tell me what to specifically focus on for extract 3 & 4? (the 20 marker) Thanks
Reply 307
Original post by Ollie Warwick
My class and my teacher seem to think that this will be the question for the 20 marker,

"Discuss the extent to which Estonia has progressed towards sustainable development"

Thoughts?

My teacher also mentioned that she expects to see sustainable development come up in the last question so I listed some arguments for and against the extent to which they have progressed towards it.

Please tell me if I have missed anything!
Original post by sidk93
hi, yes i've just sent it now.
Consists of 7 attachments, not sure as to why its not just one file
hope its helpful!

thank youuu so much!:d
Reply 309
Original post by crazyangelg
thank youuu so much!:d

Its all good :smile:
What do you mean by policies and what are they meant to be promoting? sustainability?

Which policies have you done revision on?

Policies for Estonia to achieve it's 4 stated goals! I'm just thinking of policies that government could implement to reduce income inequality etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by zubhav
Policies for Estonia to achieve it's 4 stated goals! I'm just thinking of policies that government could implement to reduce income inequality etc

Posted from TSR Mobile

We got told to use a tax and subsidy diagram on this question in order to achieve I think it's ecological balance. But basically, they don't have much renewable energy so draw negative externality diagram with tax applied and then subsidise the renewable forms of energy. That's one part of analysis/evaluation :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 312
I still have no idea how to revise for this exam, there's so much to learn yet so little to go off in my opinion!
I'm relying on this exam to get me into University! :frown:
Reply 313
What you need to revise and what I think will come up.
what is meant my sustianable development? (2)
Define what is meant by competitive devaluation (2)
Analyse the reason for fdi for a country like Estonia (6)
Comment on whether Latvia should join then euros single currency(10)
What is meant by a fiscal convergance (4)
Using a diagram, analyse why Estonia suffered from high inflation (6)
Comment on whether fdi was the sole reason for estonias impressive economic growth and development (10)
Discuss the extent to which Estonia has progressed to sustainable development (20)
Reply 314
Original post by Meghjinho
What you need to revise and what I think will come up.
what is meant my sustianable development? (2)
Define what is meant by competitive devaluation (2)
Analyse the reason for fdi for a country like Estonia (6)
Comment on whether Latvia should join then euros single currency(10)
What is meant by a fiscal convergance (4)
Using a diagram, analyse why Estonia suffered from high inflation (6)
Comment on whether fdi was the sole reason for estonias impressive economic growth and development (10)
Discuss the extent to which Estonia has progressed to sustainable development (20)

There's no 2 mark questions, it goes;

4 6 10, 4 6 10, 20
Reply 315
There are most the times. Like Jan 2013 :wink:
Original post by zubhav

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah ive looked at how economic growth can help achieve each of the goals, but then you think of the policies to promote development which are:

-import substitution
-export promotion
-washington consensus
-filling the savings gap with aid

and estonia can't import substitute because of EU law and the washington consensus is for really underdeveloped countries which only really leaves export promotion as a viable way of promoting development which does make sense, but i don't understand how that will help them achieve their 4 goals of development
Reply 317
Original post by LukeyJB
There's no 2 mark questions, it goes;

4 6 10, 4 6 10, 20

There have been a couple of past papers where the 4 mark was replaced with two 2 mark questions
Reply 318
Yeah ive looked at how economic growth can help achieve each of the goals, but then you think of the policies to promote development which are:

-import substitution
-export promotion
-washington consensus
-filling the savings gap with aid

and estonia can't import substitute because of EU law and the washington consensus is for really underdeveloped countries which only really leaves export promotion as a viable way of promoting development which does make sense, but i don't understand how that will help them achieve their 4 goals of development

what are import substitution and export promotion:frown:??
Original post by oeh
what are import substitution and export promotion:frown:??

Import substitution is the same as state ownership and using government intervention, its basically a theory of development which states that governments should have high levels of government spending and high amount of government control of industries, they will also use tariffs in order to reduce imports and to protect new infant industries and promote demand for domestic goods

If you have the OCR economics book its on page 296.

Export promotion - the economies which follow this route to development concentrate on the comparative advantages e.g china concentrate on labour intensive production, Estonia are trying to concentrate on technology based exports. the government invest heavily in export induustries, however leave firms open to international competativeness so that they are able to compete without the aid of subsidies ect...

there are however problems with both,

Problems with import substitution include a high opportunity cost on the money they use to promote industries which may not be efficient and may be losing money. There is unequal investment in certain industries.

Problems with export promotion include a high dependance on foreign demand and are subject to external economic shocks, the country in hand may seek to devalue their currencies (however estonia cannot do this)

Anything else?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending