The Student Room Group

Self Teaching Spanish AS - WJEC?

Hi guys, I'm in year eleven, and I want to self teach the Spanish AS. I think it'd be the WJEC board...

Any ways I can get started?

I've not got a GCSE in Spanish, but I want to start the AS in Year 12. I do French at GCSE and have chosen it for A Level.

In terms of grammar I'll be fine, I'd just need vocab and general resources for Spanish AS!

Also, I have the summer, and if it doesn't go to plan, I'll leave it for another year perhaps, and do the AS in Year 13 maybe?

Thanks in advance :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by L'Evil Fish
Hi guys, I'm in year eleven, and I want to self teach the Spanish AS. I think it'd be the WJEC board...

Any ways I can get started?

I've not got a GCSE in Spanish, but I want to start the AS in Year 12. I do French at GCSE and have chosen it for A Level.

In terms of grammar I'll be fine, I'd just need vocab and general resources for Spanish AS!

Also, I have the summer, and if it doesn't go to plan, I'll leave it for another year perhaps, and do the AS in Year 13 maybe?

Thanks in advance :smile:

This year I self-studied Italian GCSE in addition to three A2's (including French) so I know where you're coming from. For the summer I'd introduce yourself to the grammar (in particular verbs). The main difference between the two grammar wise is the lack of subject pronouns in Spanish so it's really important that you learn the endings.
The most important challenge you'll have to overcome is having enough vocabulary for the exam as GCSE candidates are supposed to know about 2500 words so I'd download the GCSE vocab list from an exam board (doesn't matter which as they're all almost the same) and learn as much vocabulary as possible over the summer.
For the AS vocab you can buy the Ánimo: 1: Para AQA textbook (if it's anything like the French version it should have topic specific vocabulary at the end of each chapter)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/%C3%81nimo-Para-AQA-Student-Book/dp/0199129088/ref=sr_1_6?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1370118221&sr=1-6&keywords=animo+1
You could also buy Palabra por Palabra (again I have the French version and it has LOADS of topic specific vocab for AS+A2 as well as useful essay structures)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Palabra-Por-Phil-Turk/dp/1444110012/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1370118455&sr=1-1&keywords=palabra+por+palabra
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by BaconEmperor
This year I self-studied Italian GCSE in addition to three A2's (including French) so I know where you're coming from. For the summer I'd introduce yourself to the grammar (in particular verbs). The main difference between the two grammar wise is the lack of subject pronouns in Spanish so it's really important that you learn the endings.
The most important challenge you'll have to overcome is having enough vocabulary for the exam as GCSE candidates are supposed to know about 2500 words so I'd download the vocab list from an exam board (doesn't matter which as they're all almost the same) and learn as much vocabulary as possible over the summmer.
For the AS vocab you can buy the Ánimo: 1: Para AQA textbook (if it's anything like the French version it should have topic specific vocabulary at the end of each chapter)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/%C3%81nimo-Para-AQA-Student-Book/dp/0199129088/ref=sr_1_6?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1370118221&sr=1-6&keywords=animo+1
You could also buy Palabra por Palabra (again I have the French version and it has LOADS of topic specific vocab for AS+A2 as well as useful essay structures)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Palabra-Por-Phil-Turk/dp/1444110012/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1370118455&sr=1-1&keywords=palabra+por+palabra

Thanks so much!

I've been looking into many languages, and I've done some Italian and Spanish.

I've got all the tenses in writing and all that... So vocab shall be the biggest issue...

I was thinking about Italian too, but it'll be too much alongside 5 A Levels (f.maths being self taught too) and other things...

I'll have a look at the books :smile:
Thanks so much!

I've been looking into many languages, and I've done some Italian and Spanish.

I've got all the tenses in writing and all that... So vocab shall be the biggest issue...

I was thinking about Italian too, but it'll be too much alongside 5 A Levels (f.maths being self taught too) and other things...

I'll have a look at the books :smile:

No worries glad to help a fellow linguist :tongue:

I know what that's like, wanting to learn loads of languages but having no idea where to begin :s-smilie:

Whether you could handle self-teaching another language isn't the issue in my opinion, especially as the skills are the same. Personally I would not learn Spanish and Italian at the same time, either with French is fine because there aren't too many similarities but Spanish and Italian are almost the same language so you'd seriously risk confusing the two.
But then again if you're 100% sure you could always go for it and if it's too hard then just not take the Italian exams. :smile:
Reply 4
No worries glad to help a fellow linguist :tongue:

I know what that's like, wanting to learn loads of languages but having no idea where to begin :s-smilie:

Whether you could handle self-teaching another language isn't the issue in my opinion, especially as the skills are the same. Personally I would not learn Spanish and Italian at the same time, either with French is fine because there aren't too many similarities but Spanish and Italian are almost the same language so you'd seriously risk confusing the two.
But then again if you're 100% sure you could always go for it and if it's too hard then just not take the Italian exams. :smile:

:awesome:

I'm currently dabbling in like 7-9 languages :redface: I want to gain fluency in something!

I'm already learning them, but thinking of which to put first as an AS. If Spanish goes well in year 12, I'd either do the A2 OR do Italian AS.

Je devrais parler en français ou espagnol ou italien avec toi :biggrin: puis, je peux améliorer avec les langues... Et peut-être apprendre plus choses :yy:
:awesome:

I'm currently dabbling in like 7-9 languages :redface: I want to gain fluency in something!

I'm already learning them, but thinking of which to put first as an AS. If Spanish goes well in year 12, I'd either do the A2 OR do Italian AS.

Je devrais parler en français ou espagnol ou italien avec toi :biggrin: puis, je peux améliorer avec les langues... Et peut-être apprendre plus choses :yy:

L'idée que tu as posée, c'est génial! (Haven't used that word in years, I miss GCSE :frown:)

J'aimerais bien savoir parler une autre langue couramment, c'est le grand but de chaque linguiste! :biggrin:

Il n'y a pas beaucoup de ressources pour l'italien à A-Level, c'est une vraie dommage car je m'imagine qu'il y aurait plus d'étudiants qui étudieraient les langues si on pouvait étudier les langues plus différentes come l'italien ou le russe.

A dire la verità la mia conoscenza dell'italiano è molto debole perché non l'uso spesso :tongue:
Reply 6
L'idée que tu as posée, c'est génial! (Haven't used that word in years, I miss GCSE :frown:)

J'aimerais bien savoir parler une autre langue couramment, c'est le grand but de chaque linguiste! :biggrin:

Il n'y a pas beaucoup de ressources pour l'italien à A-Level, c'est une vraie dommage car je m'imagine qu'il y aurait plus d'étudiants qui étudieraient les langues si on pouvait étudier les langues plus différentes come l'italien ou le russe.

A dire la verità la mia conoscenza dell'italiano è molto debole perché non l'uso spesso :tongue:

Haha, je le déteste! (gcse) c'est très ennuyeux...

Oui, si tu dois choisir un langue... Qui langue?

Aaah :frown: j'aurai besoin des ressources... Si il n'y a pas beaucoup de ressources, puis je utiliserai l'Internet!!

Non posso parlare l'italiano :tongue: ma imparerò l'italiano * properly later :mmm:
Haha, je le déteste! (gcse) c'est très ennuyeux...

Oui, si tu dois choisir un langue... Qui langue?

Aaah :frown: j'aurai besoin des ressources... Si il n'y a pas beaucoup de ressources, puis je utiliserai l'Internet!!

Non posso parlare l'italiano :tongue: ma imparerò l'italiano * properly later :mmm:

Suite à l'été, je commencerai l'université ou j'étudierai les sciences économiques avec le russe. Je considère que le russe est une langue très difficile donc il posera un bon défi :biggrin:

Ce qui est plus important, c'est que tu auras un professeur ou quelqu'un avec lequelle tu pourrais pratiquer l'italien.

Au début quand j'ai décidé d'apprendre une autre langue, j'ai réalisé qu'il faudra avoir un partenaire pour faire les examens orals et heureusement mon ancien professeur de francais, elle parle italien aussi :biggrin:

Si tu apprends l'espagnol alors il serait très facile quand tu apprends l'italien puisque c'est une mélange entre le francais et l'espagnol :wink:
Reply 8
Suite à l'été, je commencerai l'université ou j'étudierai les sciences économiques avec le russe. Je considère que le russe est une langue très difficile donc il posera un bon défi :biggrin:

Ce qui est plus important, c'est que tu auras un professeur ou quelqu'un avec lequelle tu pourrais pratiquer l'italien.

Au début quand j'ai décidé d'apprendre une autre langue, j'ai réalisé qu'il faudra avoir un partenaire pour faire les examens orals et heureusement mon ancien professeur de francais, elle parle italien aussi :biggrin:

Si tu apprends l'espagnol alors il serait très facile quand tu apprends l'italien puisque c'est une mélange entre le francais et l'espagnol :wink:

C'est cool! Super cool! :biggrin: je commence aussi apprendre le russe! Le système de case est nouveau... :smile: comme l'allemand...

Il y aurait un prof, mais je ne sais pas si j'aurais les leçons avec lei/la?

:eek: tu es très chanceux!!!

Ce devrait plus facile :tongue:

Is my French okay?:redface:
Reply 9
Oh how did I know it was you...:rolleyes:
C'est cool! Super cool! :biggrin: je commence aussi apprendre le russe! Le système de case est nouveau... :smile: comme l'allemand...

Il y aurait un prof, mais je ne sais pas si j'aurais les leçons avec lei/la?

:eek: tu es très chanceux!!!

Ce devrait plus facile :tongue:

Is my French okay?:redface:

You're french is brilliant, most people (me included) start AS barely able to string a sentence together but your grammar is very impressive and your vocabulary clearly extensive, I didn't know the word chanceux until a month ago when it appeared on my topic card for the speaking exam :tongue:

Cependant je remarque que tu as dit "avec lei/la" et lei est un mot italien. :K:
En francais c'est !avec lui" ou "avec elle".

Je n'avait qu'une lécon chaque semaine pour assurer que j'ai compris la grammaire que j'ai apprise et pour pratiquer pour les examens orals et les examines écrits.

Je souhaite que j'ai décidé d'étudier l'italien de GCSE l'année dernière pour que je puisse étudier l'italien à AS cet an!
Reply 11
You're french is brilliant, most people (me included) start AS barely able to string a sentence together but your grammar is very impressive and your vocabulary clearly extensive, I didn't know the word chanceux until a month ago when it appeared on my topic card for the speaking exam :tongue:

Cependant je remarque que tu as dit "avec lei/la" et lei est un mot italien. :K:
En francais c'est !avec lui" ou "avec elle".

Je n'avait qu'une lécon chaque semaine pour assurer que j'ai compris la grammaire que j'ai apprise et pour pratiquer pour les examens orals et les examines écrits.

Je souhaite que j'ai décidé d'étudier l'italien de GCSE l'année dernière pour que je puisse étudier l'italien à AS cet an!

:woo: I only learnt the word "chanceux" a couple of days ago, when I wanted to call someone it :tongue:

J'ai su que "lei" est un mot d'italien mais lui est aussi un mot d'italien :tongue: alors... :smile:

Aaah, je ne sais pas si j'aurai le temps avec un prof... Je n'ai pas demandé l'école...

Il n'y a pas le chance pour étudier les autres langues... Seulement français... :frown: si je pourrais rechoisir (is that a word?) mes GCSEs... Je choisirais l'Allemand, l'Italien, l'Espagnol et le français (et la géographie) mais l'opportunité n'était pas fourni pour moi...

Might be wrong but wouldn't it be:
"Je souhaite que j'aie décidé..." because of the subjunctive?
I'm certain you'll have the capability but what about coursework?
Reply 13
Original post by reubenkinara
I'm certain you'll have the capability but what about coursework?

There isn't any :smile:
:woo: I only learnt the word "chanceux" a couple of days ago, when I wanted to call someone it :tongue:

J'ai su que "lei" est un mot d'italien mais lui est aussi un mot d'italien :tongue: alors... :smile:

Aaah, je ne sais pas si j'aurai le temps avec un prof... Je n'ai pas demandé l'école...

Il n'y a pas le chance pour étudier les autres langues... Seulement français... :frown: si je pourrais rechoisir (is that a word?) mes GCSEs... Je choisirais l'Allemand, l'Italien, l'Espagnol et le français (et la géographie) mais l'opportunité n'était pas fourni pour moi...

Might be wrong but wouldn't it be:
"Je souhaite que j'aie décidé..." because of the subjunctive?

C'est probable que le professeur soit plus que heureux de t'aider mais cela ne signifie pas qu'il y aurait une lécon, peut-être qu'il te donnerait les conseils en ce qui concerne l'examen lui-meme :smile:

C'est certainement un mot :tongue: et j'aurais aimé étudier les autres langues mais on n'en offrait pas. Ici la seule autre langue qu'ils enseignent c'est l'espagnol, pas meme l'allemand :frown:

I just checked and yeah it does require the subjunctive, for some reason I specifically though it didn't eventhough it a verb of wishing. I often pick up random bad habits like that, I always forget the first "u" in "beaucoup" :redface:
There isn't any :smile:

Ah. I thought there'd be orals or essays or something :biggrin:
Reply 16
C'est probable que le professeur soit plus que heureux de t'aider mais cela ne signifie pas qu'il y aurait une lécon, peut-être qu'il te donnerait les conseils en ce qui concerne l'examen lui-meme :smile:

C'est certainement un mot :tongue: et j'aurais aimé étudier les autres langues mais on n'en offrait pas. Ici la seule autre langue qu'ils enseignent c'est l'espagnol, pas meme l'allemand :frown:

I just checked and yeah it does require the subjunctive, for some reason I specifically though it didn't eventhough it a verb of wishing. I often pick up random bad habits like that, I always forget the first "u" in "beaucoup" :redface:

Oui, Hmmm...

Just had a thought! What if I self did the French? And had lessons for AS Spanish?

C'est injustes! Ne personne *cares* pour les polyglottes :mmm:

:woo: I just always stick it in, in case
Reply 17
Original post by reubenkinara
Ah. I thought there'd be orals or essays or something :biggrin:

Yeah, they're all exams:smile:
Yeah, they're all exams:smile:

That's cool. Well I'll come of the thread and let you Welsh Board Spanish ASers chat :smile:
Oui, Hmmm...

Just had a thought! What if I self did the French? And had lessons for AS Spanish?

C'est injustes! Ne personne *cares* pour les polyglottes :mmm:

:woo: I just always stick it in, in case

If the teachers wouldn't mind you taking the AS Spanish without the GCSE first then I'd definitely do for it.
It'd be much easier to self-teach the AS French seeing as you've already studied GCSE and therefore it would only be a case of learning the vocabulary, grammar and ensuring you had some speaking practice.

Les autres matière recoivent énormément plus d'attention que les langues, ce sont une espèce menacée!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending