The Student Room Group

Edexcel 6BIO2 ~ 3rd June 2013 ~ AS Biology

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mynameisntbobk
same, hoping for a good paper, but I'm way more ready for it now than I was a week ago, so it's just making sure I actually answer the questions

yes me too, this time last week i was getting 30 marks on my papers :colondollar:
can i check one thing with you regarding against and for stem cells: this is what i know,.is there anything else i should know?
for:
-the stem cells could potentially improve and save lives and treat diseases such as type 1 diabetes.
-the spare embryos are discarded anyway
-the embryos should not be considered human at an early stage
-embroynic stem cells are.more flexible than adult stem cells
against:
-embryos are potentially human
-they have right to life after conception
-ethical and religious objections
-could lead to designer babies
is their anything else fo against and for?
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CoolRunner
I was told by my teacher to learn it, so play it safe :smile:

Mmnn, okay, thanks. I'll have a look at it, on A's notes.
Btw, what is 60 ums in terms of a grade (that's what i need to get to scrape an A overall (240 ums) for the next exam).

D/C :/ its 50% so probably a D

Posted from TSR Mobile
Btw, what is 60 ums in terms of a grade (that's what i need to get to scrape an A overall (240 ums) for the next exam).

Same! :biggrin:
it's a D. wooo
But looking at the ways the grade bondaries are going, it's going to be around 50's+ (raw) But thats still low, can lose around 20+marks. Not that we intend to!
What are the regulatory authorities relating to human embryo research???
Original post by Rubyturner94
yes me too, this time last week i was getting 30 marks on my papers :colondollar:
can i check one thing with you regarding against and for stem cells: this is what i know,.is there anything else i should know?
for:
-the stem cells could potentially improve and save lives and treat diseases such as type 1 diabetes.
-the spare embryos are discarded anyway
-the embryos should not be considered human at an early stage
-embroynic stem cells are.more flexible than adult stem cells
against:
-embryos are potentially human
-they have right to life after conception
-ethical and religious objections
-could lead to designer babies
is their anything else fo against and for?
Posted from TSR Mobile

for against, maybe embryos can't give consent?
and another against is the risk of cloning
How can stem cells be damaging to human?
Apart from rejection and infection?
Also, species richness- what are the two key points... So the number of species in an area?
And aseptic aseptic aseptic--- I kept on leaving that out in the totipotency and antimicrobial properties practicals...D:biggrin::biggrin::
(edited 10 years ago)
What does an Amyloplast actually do, store energy ?:confused:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by anonymouspie227
How can stem cells be damaging to human?
Apart from rejection and infection?
Also, species richness- what are the two key points... So the number of species in an area?
And aseptic aseptic aseptic--- I kept on leaving that out in the totipotency and antimicrobial properties!

there's mutations/cancer development

Number of different species in an area
for against, maybe embryos can't give consent?
and another against is the risk of cloning

thanks Bobk :smile:
ps: its ironic how a few of us on here call you Bobk yet in your TSR name it says mynameisntbobK :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Branny101
What does an Amyloplast actually do, store energy ?:confused:

Posted from TSR Mobile

starch granules
Original post by Rubyturner94
thanks Bobk :smile:
ps: its ironic how a few of us on here call you Bobk yet in your TSR name it says mynameisntbobK :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

no problem :smile:

haha I never mind tbh, only used the name to annoy my friend (who's nickname was Bob :tongue:)
starch granules

Yeah I know, but is its purpose for energy storage?

Posted from TSR Mobile
there's mutations/cancer development

Number of different species in an area

Thank you! :smile:
How does that differ from species diversity?
Reply 1134
what are aseptic conditions? :s-smilie:
Hey guys! hope the revision is going well!

I was doing the specimen paper and came across this question:

explain how independent assortment leads to genetic variation?

its only 2 marks so i was wondering what 2 points you would just make? plus does anyone have the mark scheme for the specimen paper?

Thank youuuu:biggrin:
Reply 1136
Original post by The Assassin
Alright, after revising biology and taking notes to the point where I've almost become mentally unstable, the notes are done.

These are all mark schemes either taken from Edexcel papers, ranging from 2001 all the way till 2013. Some topics were taken from other exam boards because there weren't questions in the (recent) past papers for Edexcel regarding them. Others were taken from mark schemes in books. Some may find this useless some helpful, but I hope you all make good use of these!

Please note that whilst this should cover the majority of topics, it doesn't cover everything! There are some things that are mentioned in the official Edexcel textbook that I was unable to re-create in mark scheme form because I couldn't really find any - one of them is epistasis. Furthermore they don't cover HSW so you'll have to practice and revise from the official Edexcel book for that. Lastly, while I did include diagrams relevant to the topic not every single is included. Don't rely on this solely!

Let me know if you guys want something important added...

All i can say is... I wish i found this sooner!
Original post by jooh_23

Its basically when you ensure that the experiment is conducted under sterile conditions so for the garlic and mint anti microbial properties it was basically to ensure that petri dishes containing the micro organisms were not completely opened to prevent contamination. :wink:
Original post by Branny101
Yeah I know, but is its purpose for energy storage?

Posted from TSR Mobile

the amyloplast stores starch granules. The starch will probably be hydrolised when needed so the glucose can be used for aerobic respiration

Original post by anonymouspie227
Thank you! :smile:
How does that differ from species diversity?

It doesn't really.. although it's the total number of species represented by a collection of individuals

Original post by jooh_23

well for the antimicrobial experiment, it would be the whole working next to a naked flame..

basically, working in a sterile manner
Original post by jooh_23

where the procedure is done under sterile conditions??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending