The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zerforax
The transfer fee might not be that high but his wage demands will still be huge. I'd expect easily over 100k a week?

Surely 100k would be the maximum. He's hardly set the world alight at Bayern recently, his CL cameos aside, so compared with similar players, I'd be amazed.
Original post by Zürich
Surely 100k would be the maximum. He's hardly set the world alight at Bayern recently, his CL cameos aside, so compared with similar players, I'd be amazed.

Well I'd imagine he'd be in the 80-140k bracket tbfh.. His last few clubs have been Chelsea (bought him for 18mil euros), Real Madrid (paid 35mil euros) and Bayern Munich (25mil euros). I'd imagine he's been on great wages for all those years since they're all huge clubs.

He's won plenty of titles in that period, averages around 32 games a season and is probably seen as in the peak of his career. Being a current CL winner won't harm his case at all.

How many other top wingers are there out there at the moment?
Original post by Zerforax
Well I'd imagine he'd be in the 80-140k bracket tbfh.. His last few clubs have been Chelsea (bought him for 18mil euros), Real Madrid (paid 35mil euros) and Bayern Munich (25mil euros). I'd imagine he's been on great wages for all those years since they're all huge clubs.

He's won plenty of titles in that period, averages around 32 games a season and is probably seen as in the peak of his career. Being a current CL winner won't harm his case at all.

How many other top wingers are there out there at the moment?

He's gone downhill in the last two years though. He played the CL games because Toni Kroos was injured but in the Bundesliga he's played less than half the games this season. What he was like years ago is not really relevant at this stage.

I still think he's a very good winger but even at 29 he's not going to have clubs queuing after him
Original post by Zürich
Robben is probably on his way out of Bayern but not sure he'd suit CFC so much these days. Then again Mourinho will probbaly change things and he was a top top player in 2004-2007 so maybe. Wouldnt mind him at Arsenal tbh for <10m.

Schurrle is a weird striker/winger hybrid like Podolski right? Not sure CFC need that either but it offers something different I guess.

Yeah, he can play as a winger or as a second striker. Does well in some games but isn't consistent enough for my liking... not to mention the problems mhsc listed.
Original post by Zürich
He's gone downhill in the last two years though. He played the CL games because Toni Kroos was injured but in the Bundesliga he's played less than half the games this season. What he was like years ago is not really relevant at this stage.

I still think he's a very good winger but even at 29 he's not going to have clubs queuing after him

He might not have a huge queue competing for his signature but I think he'd easily get a handful of clubs - if he was only going to cost say 8mil + 50k in wages, I bet half of the premier league teams would go after him. Obviously if he wanted 100k+, then less clubs would be in for him.

Was pointing out more to his reputation and history - it's harder to get a player who's been on 100k a year for the past 5 years to go down to say 75k then it is to get a player who's on 25k to compromise on 75k..

He's still got 2 years left on his contract so either Bayern will pay his wages or the other club buying will need to stump up some heafty wages.
It hasn't been mentioned at all but what would people think if we went for Cardozo from Benfica? I think it would be a good move as he would be cheaper than some strikers we are after and we know he can score.
Original post by chelseafreak
It hasn't been mentioned at all but what would people think if we went for Cardozo from Benfica? I think it would be a good move as he would be cheaper than some strikers we are after and we know he can score.

He's not good enough to lead the line for the CL and PL titles at Chelsea. He'd be a perfect back up tho certainly an improvement on Ba and Torres
Our squad management has never been in control of a manager under RA, perhaps only during the early Mourinho years.

Emenalo is a joke, his only management experience was coaching an Under-12 American Girls 'soccer' team. The Chelsea hierarchy is decided by who sucks up to Abramovich most. It's Abramovich's money and he can do what he pleases with it, but I wish he could get a better board. The whole lot, Buck, Gourley, Emenalo, they're a bunch of clueless mugs, only there to advance their own agenda.
We've been linked with the following:

Bale
Hulk
Mangala (from Porto)

Wasn't really expecting the last one - but if José is prepared to offer £30m for him (reported), he must have a lot of faith in him. Haven't watched the Primeira Liga enough to assess whether or not he'd be worth it though.

----------------------------Cech-----------------------------
Azpi--------Ivanovic---------Mangala-------A.Cole
---------------D.Luiz------------Gündogan-------------
Hulk--------------------Mata----------------------Hazard
--------------------------Lukaku-------------------------------

Would be pretty damn good actually.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3129
Original post by Cannotbelieveit
Our squad management has never been in control of a manager under RA, perhaps only during the early Mourinho years.

Emenalo is a joke, his only management experience was coaching an Under-12 American Girls 'soccer' team. The Chelsea hierarchy is decided by who sucks up to Abramovich most. It's Abramovich's money and he can do what he pleases with it, but I wish he could get a better board. The whole lot, Buck, Gourley, Emenalo, they're a bunch of clueless mugs, only there to advance their own agenda.

I think Emenalo's talented tbh, and I think Roman and co have seen that talent. Responsible for most of our youngsters now on loan and doing exceptionally well. He doesn't seem all that interested in the actual management side of things either.

Apparently also offered to resign to make Mourinho's appointment a possibility, but Roman rejected the offer. Thinks both Mourinho and Emenalo can work together.

If Mourinho lets his ego go a little, I think him and Emenalo could work well together. If the story about Emenalo offering to resign is actuall true (the times/guardian reported it), then he clearly cares about CFC a great deal, and respects and appreciates Mourinho - despite the latter's flaws.

I'm not a fan of the chief exec's/chairmen though. Get the impression that they stray a lot from the business side of things and speak to Roman about footballing matters.
Has there been any developments on the story regarding Mourinho ? all i can see so far is The Sun claiming it to be true and official , but times/guardian/bbc haven't reported it so wondering whats going on there ?
Original post by Fas
Has there been any developments on the story regarding Mourinho ? all i can see so far is The Sun claiming it to be true and official , but times/guardian/bbc haven't reported it so wondering whats going on there ?

2nd June, all will be revealed.
Reply 3132
Original post by Yawn-er
I think Emenalo's talented tbh, and I think Roman and co have seen that talent.

I agree, he's made some quality signings. He's also an absolute tank and looks ready to smash anyone that crosses him. If he sorts out our central midfield and our striker situation then I'll have complete faith in him.
2nd June, all will be revealed.

major anticlimax if nothing happens tomorrow haha :tongue:
Reply 3135
Schurlle would add some pace to the wing, with hazard on the other side. Jose is likely to return to a 4-3-3 so this isn't a bad move IMO

Posted from TSR Mobile

Under Emenalo we've signed Mata, Hazard, Courtois, Moses, Oscar, Cesar, Cahil, Ba, De Bruyne and Marin. Of these only Marin can be considered a bad signing imo. He's doing a good job on that front.
Original post by Banishingboredom
Under Emenalo we've signed Mata, Hazard, Courtois, Moses, Oscar, Cesar, Cahil, Ba, De Bruyne and Marin. Of these only Marin can be considered a bad signing imo. He's doing a good job on that front.

Yes, and he was also the guy who left us with 20 players for a 69 game season, one striker for half a season and loaned out/sold about 5/6 squad players at the start of the season.
Original post by The Assassin
We've been linked with the following:

Bale
Hulk
Mangala (from Porto)

Wasn't really expecting the last one - but if José is prepared to offer £30m for him (reported), he must have a lot of faith in him. Haven't watched the Primeira Liga enough to assess whether or not he'd be worth it though.

----------------------------Cech-----------------------------
Azpi--------Ivanovic---------Mangala-------A.Cole
---------------D.Luiz------------Gündogan-------------
Hulk--------------------Mata----------------------Hazard
--------------------------Lukaku-------------------------------

Would be pretty damn good actually.

LOL! Linked with Gareth Bale?
The only team Bale will go to is Madrid. If not he will stay at Tottenham.
Original post by cleveradam
LOL! Linked with Gareth Bale?
The only team Bale will go to is Madrid. If not he will stay at Tottenham.

No, not necessarily. I could see him going to Manchester United too.

Latest