The Student Room Group

Starting A level computing

Just want to know is it hard to start computing at a-level?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You starting year 13 A level or year 12 AS?
Reply 2
Not starting yet as I am in year 9 but am struggling to get into GCSE computing as the class is so small. I am thinking for the future if I don't get into GCSE.
Reply 3
I didn't study computing for GCSE but I picked it up for AS. It fairly easy to an extent although boring at times. Am likely to continue it next year.
Reply 4
Original post by SophF_rth
I didn't study computing for GCSE but I picked it up for AS. It fairly easy to an extent although boring at times. Am likely to continue it next year.

Thanks, really helpful
Reply 5
Yeah, I picked up at AS too as it wasn't offered at GCSE. I find it rather boring and there are aspects that I struggle with at times. It's worth studying if you're really into it or really want to do it.
Reply 6
Yeah I think I do, thanks.
Original post by coatsoft

Keep trying to get into the GCSE class, at least that way you'll know for sure if you find the course structure interesting (I did OCR Computing at GCSE and am currently doing OCR Computing at A level, I found GCSE interesting and I'm also finding A level interesting). Obviously they're not exactly the same, but some stuff does carry through from GCSE (I.e. Binary/Hexadecimal calculations, basic things about the CPU, etc). Good luck :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by OllieGCSEs
Keep trying to get into the GCSE class, at least that way you'll know for sure if you find the course structure interesting (I did OCR Computing at GCSE and am currently doing OCR Computing at A level, I found GCSE interesting and I'm also finding A level interesting). Obviously they're not exactly the same, but some stuff does carry through from GCSE (I.e. Binary/Hexadecimal calculations, basic things about the CPU, etc). Good luck :smile:

Thanks for your answer. I will keep trying to get into GCSE, however, if I do not how much does the revision material help? I am thinking that if I don't get into the GCSE I could do some revision anyway to give me the edge. The best site I can find is this:
http://www.teach-ict.com/gcse_computing/ocr/GCSE_A451_topics.html
What do you think?
Reply 9
I tried it for a couple of weeks, and want to reiterate that it's pretty dry and boring. I thought I would enjoy it as I already have programming experience and have made my own games using GameMaker software but AS Computing has put off me programming completely! :frown:
Original post by -aTOMic-
I tried it for a couple of weeks, and want to reiterate that it's pretty dry and boring. I thought I would enjoy it as I already have programming experience and have made my own games using GameMaker software but AS Computing has put off me programming completely! :frown:

Computing is not just about programming (although one half of the entire course depends on the programming side...), but each to their own, I'm sorry to hear you were put off :frown:
Thanks for your answer. I will keep trying to get into GCSE, however, if I do not how much does the revision material help? I am thinking that if I don't get into the GCSE I could do some revision anyway to give me the edge. The best site I can find is this:
http://www.teach-ict.com/gcse_computing/ocr/GCSE_A451_topics.html
What do you think?

I have the pdf of a great textbook, but even when I try and upload one section, the TSR file uploaded seems to not want to work :frown: If you pm me your e-mail address I can send it to you; it's around 130pages long, and includes a glossary of terms after every section, as well as practice and past paper questions :smile: I found it to be really useful
Reply 12
I have the pdf of a great textbook, but even when I try and upload one section, the TSR file uploaded seems to not want to work :frown: If you pm me your e-mail address I can send it to you; it's around 130pages long, and includes a glossary of terms after every section, as well as practice and past paper questions :smile: I found it to be really useful

Wow, thanks for taking the time to help me. I'll send you it right away.:smile:
Wow, thanks for taking the time to help me. I'll send you it right away.:smile:

No problem :smile: I've just sent it now
Reply 14
No problem :smile: I've just sent it now

thanks
Reply 15
Just want to know is it hard to start computing at a-level?

Not really hard if you're good with computers anyway. I didn't go GCSE IT or Computing and I managed to cope.

I'd advice you to start learning a language now, so that you wont struggle with a level computing. However this made my programming lessons very boring coz i already new the stuff
Reply 16
Original post by YiiNaa
Not really hard if you're good with computers anyway. I didn't go GCSE IT or Computing and I managed to cope.

I'd advice you to start learning a language now, so that you wont struggle with a level computing. However this made my programming lessons very boring coz i already new the stuff

It would be a brilliant thing to learn over the summer holidays and after my exams. What languages do you learn in A-level computing?
Reply 17
It would be a brilliant thing to learn over the summer holidays and after my exams. What languages do you learn in A-level computing?

Your Computing teacher teaches you whichever language chooses.
For AQA A-Level computing these are the following options:

Pascal
VB.6
Python
VB.Net
Java

I'd advice you to learn C++, and then move over to other languages from there
Original post by YiiNaa
Your Computing teacher teaches you whichever language chooses.
For AQA A-Level computing these are the following options:

Pascal
VB.6
Python
VB.Net
Java

I'd advice you to learn C++, and then move over to other languages from there

I would recommend asking current A Level students at your school what they're taught

Posted from TSR Mobile
I took A Level computing, I found it pretty damn boring.

Honestly they teach you a lot about computer architecture, e.g. Buses

It's a lot of taking down notes, there are the rare lesson where you'd learn something about coding, but it's pretty basic coding... like making a maze game.

Unfortunately I never made it to the end of the first year, but if you struggle with learning new things and reading and learning a lot of new information I'd say to choose a different option.

I only got a C at GCSE in IT (I honestly didn't even try), but I found if you're willing to revise, there is no reason why you can't do well in A Level computing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending