The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by FO12DY
Ouch. So would I if that were my offer.

I think if you look at the Math/Eng/CS offers with STEP, there are way more triple A* offer equivalents than you'd think.

I suppose depth vs breadth comes into it a bit, but I think most STEPpers would find A*A*A* easier than a 2,2 even. I know I would.

A*A*A definitely (Maths/Further Maths aren't a patch on anything STEP has to offer), although some applicants might find the 3rd A* (Especially if their third subject isn't something relevant) a bit of a stretch.

Original post by ukdragon37
It's not helped by laughing at this. I hope you know what you are getting yourself into! :rofl:

(People with... sensitivities might not want to click that link :wink: )

This is going to sound incredibly naive and/or stupid , but do things like that actually happen? :lol:
Original post by FO12DY
I think most STEPpers would find A*A*A* easier than a 2,2 even. I know I would.

I concur, I'm not even worried about getting A*A*A*, it'll almost definitely happen. STEP on the other hand *shudders*

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DJMayes
This is going to sound incredibly naive and/or stupid , but do things like that actually happen? :lol:

If you mean a drinking society with a female president initiating males, then no. :tongue:

If you mean the rest of the question, it's possible, but as you'd predict, rare. I have seen/heard far too many things to support anything other than this position.
Original post by ukdragon37
If you mean a drinking society with a female president initiating males, then no. :tongue:

If you mean the rest of the question, it's possible, but as you'd predict, rare. I have seen/heard far too many things to support anything other than this position.

Probably a good thing I have no plans on joining any of them then... :tongue:
Reply 2764
Original post by DJMayes
A*A*A definitely (Maths/Further Maths aren't a patch on anything STEP has to offer), although some applicants might find the 3rd A* (Especially if their third subject isn't something relevant) a bit of a stretch.

Original post by LShirley95
I concur, I'm not even worried about getting A*A*A*, it'll almost definitely happen. STEP on the other hand *shudders*

Yeah exactly, even the third, for many will be Physics - probably a requirement for Engineers of all Colleges I should think, and at many for CS.

Dammit STEP.
Original post by FO12DY
Yeah exactly, even the third, for many will be Physics - probably a requirement for Engineers of all Colleges I should think, and at many for CS.

Dammit STEP.

True, but not always. For example, at the STEP school I met one girl who was only doing AS Further that year, with her other two subjects being (I think) Chemistry and Geography, and for people taking less standard combinations such as this A*A*A* would potentially be a stretch. Even for people with Physics as their third A Level, it might be a stretch due to practical coursework etc.

I think I would probably prefer an A*A*A* or even A*A*A*A* offer (Maths/Further/Additional Further/Physics) but this is because for me introducing the extra A* requirements would not be requiring a greater breadth of knowledge, and STEP would be testing the same knowledge at a greater depth. I don't think this would be true for all applicants though.
Reply 2766
Original post by DJMayes

I think I would probably prefer an A*A*A* or even A*A*A*A* offer (Maths/Further/Additional Further/Physics) but this is because for me introducing the extra A* requirements would not be requiring a greater breadth of knowledge, and STEP would be testing the same knowledge at a greater depth. I don't think this would be true for all applicants though.

I think that's the key point, some people are going to prefer/perform better at depth in one more focussed area (ie Math A levels, and STEP - perhaps even more so on the STEP, because of the more applied nature of the A levels), and others perform better just touching on (though still enough for A*) a broader range of subjects.
Original post by FO12DY

Dammit STEP.

I'm a Chemical Engineer (Prospective) and I'm not required to have an A* in physics.
Reply 2768
Original post by bananarama2
I'm a Chemical Engineer (Prospective) and I'm not required to have an A* in physics.

Ah, well, Chemical Engineering, sure. I was referring to 'just' Engineering.

I also meant that the third A level would be Physics, not that an A* would be required. (My implication was that A*A* M/FM students may well be reasonably likely to achieve an A* in Physics, which was probably
their third A level, for those courses.)

At any rate, for those going via Engineering, I believe Physics is required.
Reply 2769
Original post by camaieu
Haha, more motivation: Caius is beautiful!

I know right! I set some pictures of it as my desktop background to give me a kick :love:
Reply 2770
Original post by FO12DY

I also meant that the third A level would be Physics, not that an A* would be required. (My implication was that A*A* M/FM students may well be reasonably likely to achieve an A* in Physics, which was probably

Well informed :tongue:

Yeah - physics IS required but it's not always the subject they specify the A* in :tongue:
Original post by FO12DY

I did mean that I do need an A in physics, but they haven't specified the A* in it.

I thought you were talking A* :tongue: My apologies.
Original post by bananarama2

I often forget this given the amount of time you spend on the Maths threads. :tongue:
Reply 2773
bananarama2

Original post by DJMayes
I often forget this given the amount of time you spend on the Maths threads. :tongue:

I realised only when a Chemistry joke popped up on the STEP thread and a host of non-Chemistry-studying Mathematician prospectives didn't fall about laughing.

Apparently Hydrogen peroxide decomposes very quickly when fraught with catalese...
Original post by DJMayes

There isn't exactly a thriving Chemical Engineering thread :tongue: I have been thinking a Physics equivalent of "The Proof is Trivial" would be good :tongue:
Original post by FO12DY

I realised only when a Chemistry joke popped up on the STEP thread and a host of non-Chemistry-studying Mathematician prospectives didn't fall about laughing.

Apparently Hydrogen peroxide decomposes very quickly when fraught with catalese...

:rofl:
Reply 2776
Hi, I am 2014 international applicant. Does anybody know whether Cambridge accept TOEFL and in which level (how many scores)?
Reply 2777
Original post by villy95
Hi, I am 2014 international applicant. Does anybody know whether Cambridge accept TOEFL and in which level (how many scores)?

I'm a 2013 German applicant and of all British Universities I applied to, Cambridge was the only one that did not require English proficiency tests. This is mainly due to the fact that, if you are invited, your language skills will become evident during the interview(s). After the interview, you might get a conditional offer which requires you to take TOEFL or equivalent tests. However, in my experience this doesn't happen all to often. As mentioned above, I'm a German offer-holder for History and I wasn't asked for any special language certificates in my offer letter.
Reply 2778
Original post by gigi3359
I've hardly been on in ages, so I may as well be "new", but hi! I'm holding an offer for Education with English and Drama at Homerton, so we will hopefully be college-mates in October! Also, I'm totally fine most of the time (because I'm already on my summer holidays and have no stress and it's fantastic after exams) then I think about results day and how disappointed I'll be if I don't fulfil my offer, and get totally anxious and panicky :frown:

Cool. I'm also already on my summer holidays but I've yet to get my results.
Original post by Audenite
I'm a 2013 German applicant and of all British Universities I applied to, Cambridge was the only one that did not require English proficiency tests. This is mainly due to the fact that, if you are invited, your language skills will become evident during the interview(s). After the interview, you might get a conditional offer which requires you to take TOEFL or equivalent tests. However, in my experience this doesn't happen all to often. As mentioned above, I'm a German offer-holder for History and I wasn't asked for any special language certificates in my offer letter.

They are far more often for students from countries with languages more unrelated to English (e.g. Chinese). Also Cambridge tends to prefer IELTS over TOEFL.

Latest

Trending

Trending