The Student Room Group

The Physics PHYA2 thread! 5th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Hoping for a paper most heavily based around waves this time round. Waves I'm absolutely fine with, but I cannot do mechanics for the life of me. About 80% of my lost marks are in the Mechanics section.

Also, anybody done the June 2009 paper? What an absolute piece of satan :tongue:
Original post by spleenharvester
Hoping for a paper most heavily based around waves this time round. Waves I'm absolutely fine with, but I cannot do mechanics for the life of me. About 80% of my lost marks are in the Mechanics section.

Also, anybody done the June 2009 paper? What an absolute piece of satan :tongue:

Lol yeh i prefer the waves and materials bits but i like the theory behind the mechanics like newtons laws etc and moments :smile: its just suvat questions with projectiles that i loose marks on but im getting better at projectiles now lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by masryboy94
this word document is SO useful, pretty much goes through EVERYTHING for PHYA2 ... can't attach it here because file too big, but for anyone struggling or just wants to look at notes .. seriously check this out :biggrin::

http://getrevising.co.uk/resources/mechanics_materials_and_waves_phya2_revision

Thanks! But I think my nelson thornes is MUCH BETTER! :biggrin:
Original post by That_Clever_Guy
Lol yeh i prefer the waves and materials bits but i like the theory behind the mechanics like newtons laws etc and moments :smile: its just suvat questions with projectiles that i loose marks on but im getting better at projectiles now lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey! Remember me? Unit 1? How is it going? How is your revision going? I am already feeling very confident m8. :smile: And you will notice that I have helped a lot of people in this thread. If you need any help? As me anytime! :smile:
Original post by spleenharvester

June 2009 was the easiest paper! But the grade boundaries were also the highest. :smile:
Original post by StalkeR47
June 2009 was the easiest paper! But the grade boundaries were also the highest. :smile:

How on Earth! I thought it was ridiculous :tongue: scraped a B on that one. Had a double take when I saw the boundary was 56!

I'm hoping the coursework boundaries are low this year, I got 59/70 in the Jan exam but only 29/50 in the coursework, so I'm really gonna have to push it for this one :frown:
Hey! Remember me? Unit 1? How is it going? How is your revision going? I am already feeling very confident m8. :smile: And you will notice that I have helped a lot of people in this thread. If you need any help? As me anytime! :smile:

Nah sorry mate not being rude or anything but i ain't quite sure who you are but yeh revision is going well thanks hows your revision coming along?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by posthumus
An electron can act as a wave too and diffract, you can find it's wavelength using the de broglie wavelength formula,
lambda = h/mv

... but I don't think you need to know it for this unit :tongue:

Oh PHEW! But does it act the same as when light is diffracted. I mean by if the wavelength is small then then it would change the fringe spacing accordingly?
Original post by Currentlysmilin
Oh PHEW! But does it act the same as when light is diffracted. I mean by if the wavelength is small then then it would change the fringe spacing accordingly?

Yup, it acts just like your typical wave (remember, wave-particle duality). The wavelength of the electron is dependent on it's velocity (inverse relationship).

You'd have to be told the electrons velocity... but like I said, I don't think it will come up :tongue: not in the spec for the unit. You may come across it at A2
Original post by NedStark
So the central red graph represents the diffraction grating?

If so, what does the large blue curve and dotted red curve represent? Young's double slit? Really confused as to what each one is.

It represents the different Wavelengths. As it says in the book 'using the expressions above' Its shows equations varying the length of the wavelength (spotting the difference between the two equations) The other one is one the page before.
The width of the central fringe is larger is the wavelength is larger and this is represented by the blue fat curve. And the thin curve represents the smaller wavelength of the light.
Get it or still stuck?
Original post by posthumus
Yup, it acts just like your typical wave (remember, wave-particle duality). The wavelength of the electron is dependent on it's velocity (inverse relationship).

You'd have to be told the electrons velocity... but like I said, I don't think it will come up :tongue: not in the spec for the unit. You may come across it at A2

Okay! Thankyou :smile:
For refraction, am I right in thinking that light of different wave lengths would be refracted by different amounts?

and if so, why? :s-smilie:
Original post by fuzzybear
For refraction, am I right in thinking that light of different wave lengths would be refracted by different amounts?

and if so, why? :s-smilie:

Yes light of different wavelengths are diffracted by different amounts. For example red and blue light. They are diffracted by different amounts and produce fringe patterns. The fringe patterns produced are different due to the wavelengths.
U don't need to know why.
U just need to know that the longer the wavelength the greater the fringe patterns...

Any help at all??

Posted from TSR Mobile
I cant find the June 2009 paper? please could someone link me? Thanks
Thanks! But I think my nelson thornes is MUCH BETTER! :biggrin:

i hate nelson thornes :tongue: its amazing for questions but very bad for explanations
Original post by pilotluke1
I cant find the June 2009 paper? please could someone link me? Thanks

here you go :biggrin:
Original post by masryboy94
here you go :biggrin:

thank you!:smile:
Reply 457
Original post by SortYourLife
This is jut rough aha:

You'd have two wires of equal length (measured with a ruler) suspended, measuring the diameter of the one you want to determine youngs modulus for with a micrometer, in several places to get an average

You'd have a set of weights to apply a force to the wire you want to determine the Young's modulus for, the other wire is purely for control, due to temperature changes or whatever.

You'd apply different forces and note down the force applied and the extension of the wire, measured with the one I've forgotten the name of, starts with a v maybe? And take a few readings with an average found

Do this for at least 6 forces.

Plot a graph of force on the y axis and extension on the x, should be a straight line.

Young's modulus is (force*original length) / (extension*cross sectionalarea)

You'd find the area using the diameter before and A=(Pi) r^2 for a circle.

The gradient of the graph sorts out the force over extension, so you'd take the gradient, multiply by the original length of the wire, and divide by the cross sectional area :smile:

Something like that anyways, there may be more points you need to get in
Posted from TSR Mobile

For the v were you on about vernea caliber?
Reply 458

What you most worried about in Unit 2 & how was your sociology exam?
Original post by Qari
For the v were you on about vernea caliber?

yeh that is what he is talking about, vernier calliper. he also forgot to say when using π(D2)2 \pi (\frac{D}{2})^2 to find the cross sectional area, to find the diameter (D) you would use a micrometer, that is one mark.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending