The Student Room Group

International Medical University(IMU) Malaysia

Hey everyone,

I was wondering if someone could give me some advice on studying medicine at the international medical university(IMU) in malaysia.

I finished my A-levels two years ago achiving B-Biology B-Chemistry in full A2-levels and three AS-levels A-Sociology B-Maths and C-Physics. Due to personal reasons I have not continued studying but would like to go back to it. I am aware that IMU ask for BBB for a-levels in order to do medicine. So i was just wodnering if anyone knows if they would consider someone like myself?

For the last year I have been travelling extensively around asia and been working with several NGOs and I have also had the chance to work with amazing organizations such as the UN. I was wondering with a good personal statment, does anyoen have an idea if IMU would consider someone like myself??? Unfoertunaly I cant call the admissions office till monday but i cant wait to hear some feedback?? S.A.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
unfortunately*
Reply 2
Original post by safia.a
Hey everyone,

I was wondering if someone could give me some advice on studying medicine at the international medical university(IMU) in malaysia.

I finished my A-levels two years ago achiving B-Biology B-Chemistry in full A2-levels and three AS-levels A-Sociology B-Maths and C-Physics. Due to personal reasons I have not continued studying but would like to go back to it. I am aware that IMU ask for BBB for a-levels in order to do medicine. So i was just wodnering if anyone knows if they would consider someone like myself?

For the last year I have been travelling extensively around asia and been working with several NGOs and I have also had the chance to work with amazing organizations such as the UN. I was wondering with a good personal statment, does anyoen have an idea if IMU would consider someone like myself??? Unfoertunaly I cant call the admissions office till monday but i cant wait to hear some feedback?? S.A.

hi im also thinking of doing this route and then going back to the uk, whats the admissions process like? are you in imu atm?
Reply 3
Check their website for the relevant entry requirements: www.imu.edu.my

The admissions process is quite simple, basically you submit an applicant to them through their online portal and they'll contact you for further details. They have a very flexible interview system, so you can choose your own interview time based on what they have on offer. If you pass the interview, they'll send you an offer letter, but you will only be given a short time (I was given only a few weeks) to reply, after which the offer becomes null.

Note that the IMU-PMS route has very specific arrangements with regard to your nationality and/or PR status.

I quote this from their website:

Citizens or PR holders of Australia or New Zealand will not be matched to any of the PMS in Australia and New Zealand.
Citizens or PR holders of United Kingdom, Ireland, or members of the European Union will not be matched to any of the PMS in the UK and Ireland.
Citizens or PR holders of USA will not be matched to any of the PMS in USA.
Citizens or PR holders of Canada will not be matched to any of the PMS in Canada.

But there are PMS who have special rules e.g. Thomas Jefferson who will only accept Malaysians. In such cases, they will not accept international students.
Reply 4
Original post by Happymelon
Check their website for the relevant entry requirements: www.imu.edu.my

The admissions process is quite simple, basically you submit an applicant to them through their online portal and they'll contact you for further details. They have a very flexible interview system, so you can choose your own interview time based on what they have on offer. If you pass the interview, they'll send you an offer letter, but you will only be given a short time (I was given only a few weeks) to reply, after which the offer becomes null.

Note that the IMU-PMS route has very specific arrangements with regard to your nationality and/or PR status.

I quote this from their website:

Citizens or PR holders of Australia or New Zealand will not be matched to any of the PMS in Australia and New Zealand.
Citizens or PR holders of United Kingdom, Ireland, or members of the European Union will not be matched to any of the PMS in the UK and Ireland.
Citizens or PR holders of USA will not be matched to any of the PMS in USA.
Citizens or PR holders of Canada will not be matched to any of the PMS in Canada.

But there are PMS who have special rules e.g. Thomas Jefferson who will only accept Malaysians. In such cases, they will not accept international students.

Hello HappyMelon

May I ask, did you decide to accept your IMU offer? If so, (and assuming you are a UK/EU citizen), what choice have you decided to take? Have you decided to do all 5 years in Malaysia, or opt for the Canada or Australia pathway?

Because I contacted the admissions office and they told me that because I am an international student I will not get housemanship in Malaysia after qualifying.
:confused:
Reply 5
Original post by Payal555
Hello HappyMelon

May I ask, did you decide to accept your IMU offer? If so, (and assuming you are a UK/EU citizen), what choice have you decided to take? Have you decided to do all 5 years in Malaysia, or opt for the Canada or Australia pathway?

Because I contacted the admissions office and they told me that because I am an international student I will not get housemanship in Malaysia after qualifying.
:confused:

I'm not sure about the housemanship system in Malaysia, I only know that Malaysians can do theirs there. I'm a Malaysian actually >_< so I don't know how it works for international students. I'm not sure if I'm going to accept my offer, but if I will, then I might opt for the US pathway if it's still available. I can't do housemanship in Canada, so I wouldn't choose it. Where are you from?
Reply 6
I'm not sure about the housemanship system in Malaysia, I only know that Malaysians can do theirs there. I'm a Malaysian actually >_< so I don't know how it works for international students. I'm not sure if I'm going to accept my offer, but if I will, then I might opt for the US pathway if it's still available. I can't do housemanship in Canada, so I wouldn't choose it. Where are you from?

Im a UK student, so the downside for me is that I will then have to apply and sit an exam in order for me to do housemanship back here in the UK if I choose the Malaysia pathway. I was told by IMU admissions that as an international student my only options are Malaysia, Canada or Australia.
Reply 7
Im a UK student, so the downside for me is that I will then have to apply and sit an exam in order for me to do housemanship back here in the UK if I choose the Malaysia pathway. I was told by IMU admissions that as an international student my only options are Malaysia, Canada or Australia.

I see. I think you're being allocated Malaysia, Canada and Australia because you're a UK student. But if you're from the UK, wouldn't UK universities be your first choice instead?
Reply 8
I see. I think you're being allocated Malaysia, Canada and Australia because you're a UK student. But if you're from the UK, wouldn't UK universities be your first choice instead?

Yeah it was, but the competition for Home students to get into Medicine here is INCREDIBLY competitive. :frown: Even after completing a Bachelors AND a Masters degree, I was still unsuccessful, like most of my graduate friends. Alot of them have now given up and decided to do PhDs, or are now applying for dentistry because thats easier. So i've decided if the UK doesnt give me a medical degree, i'll go abroad! b:tongue:
Reply 9
Yeah it was, but the competition for Home students to get into Medicine here is INCREDIBLY competitive. :frown: Even after completing a Bachelors AND a Masters degree, I was still unsuccessful, like most of my graduate friends. Alot of them have now given up and decided to do PhDs, or are now applying for dentistry because thats easier. So i've decided if the UK doesnt give me a medical degree, i'll go abroad! b:tongue:

You already have a Masters degree???? That's really impressive! If you're still keen on doing Medicine then I think you're on the right track by widening your options. IMU shouldn't be a problem for you to get into, so long as you have a good academic record and if you ace the interview :smile: I'm not sure if the interview for graduates are the same, but if you need to ask anything about it, feel free to PM me :] there are lots of online resources for details of the interview too.
Reply 10
Hi

Someone mentioned here that if student is international student and going for Malaysia pathway, s/he must be go back for home country to complete his or her housemanship 2 yrs. Is this true? Then if the own country is not allow/ not recognize or no places available for students from out of country students, how should we do for this case? In such case, foreign students are allowed to get housemanship in Malaysia or what will be the arrangements?

Thanks
Reply 11
Hey guys, I got A*AAA in my A levels but imu is taking a while to reply. interview went fine. im still kinda nervous. what are my chances?
Reply 12
I'm currently taking Cambridge AS level. I'm wondering, if I did not do well for this exam, is there a chance for me to improve my grades with my A2 results next year?

For example, if I got a B for chemistry this exam, can my A2 results bring it up to an A or A*? I'm not being arrogant or anything, but my study records have been one of the top back in secondary school. Things just did not go well for me this year.

Also, Does anyone know any Med college in Malaysia that accept entry requirements of ABB or BBB?

I am most afraid of the interviews too. Can anyone tell me abt their interview if they are for Malaysia?
Thanks

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Hi everyone, I was thinking of applying for medicine at IMU. Any current meddies at IMU willing to walk me through the interview process? Do they ask any science based questions?
Reply 14
Just to offer another view: my flatmate at the University of Dundee is Malaysian, studied Medicine at IMU for two years and then transferred to Dundee. According to him IMU is a really bad place to study. I don't really remember what he disliked in particular, but in his opinion IMU is a third-class institution and no match for a proper European/Australian/American university.
(edited 11 years ago)
Hello, just want to ask if IMU is a good university to study medicine? Or studying abroad is better?
Reply 16
I'm gonna get a heck of negatives possibly from IMU students, but don't go to IMU if you're not Malaysian.

a) It'll be very difficult for your degree at IMU to be recognised/valued overseas, especially if you're an UK student
b) Being a doctor in Malaysia won't be easy, considering you'd have to at least have a working knowledge of Malay.

In terms of entry, don't worry about it. All they want is something along the lines of two Bs and a C. And I'm going to sound wholly patronising, but unfortunately. it's the place in Malaysia where the well off kids, who received private schooling, did A-Levels, then didn't do well enough to go to the UK, Aus, US for their unis, and had their parents pay their fees for a private uni, which is happy to accept anyone who applies.

About 3 people from my class went to IMU. 1 of them was doing A-Levels for the second time. And I mean the entire A-Level. Another one, who applied because he was too worried, got an offer for BCC.
Well, I am a Malaysian student. I got an offer to the medical faculty at Czech Republic. But I am still waiting for IMU's offer. Do you think I should go abroad or stay local?
Original post by dictatorwong
Well, I am a Malaysian student. I got an offer to the medical faculty at Czech Republic. But I am still waiting for IMU's offer. Do you think I should go abroad or stay local?
Congrats dictatorwong! Which faculty did u get into? :smile: I am studying in CR
Reply 19
Hey guys!

I am applying to schools in the UK for medicine and I figured I should probably have a back up plan, so I was looking at IMU. If I do choose IMU it will definitely be with the partner school program. I've heard a lot of mixed reviews about the school but not really anything specific as to why it's NOT a good university except for transferring. I'm Canadian and not really looking to come back to Canada anyway, so IMU's rules on where your placement can't be isn't really a problem for me. So I was wondering if there are any current/ transfer students who could give me an idea of what it's like? It would be really helpful!

Thanks! :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending