The Student Room Group

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Feefifofum
Not that old, but the original series Doctors were all considerably older and I've got a bit bored with Matt Smith being so childish all the time. DT was once in a while but he could do serious as well, much better than Matt Smith. I'm hoping for someone mid-30s...

Not that Matt hasn't been really good, I enjoy him, but I agree, it would be nice to have an actor who plays it with a bit of gravitas. Anyone for Benedict Cumberbatch?? We can wish.
Original post by Rakas21
He's the 9th Doctor, the one who committed genocide.

Confused... How can he be the 9th doctor, that was C.E?
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Not that Matt hasn't been really good, I enjoy him, but I agree, it would be nice to have an actor who plays it with a bit of gravitas. Anyone for Benedict Cumberbatch?? We can wish.

Benedict should play the next master, he'd be perfect for it. Anyone who's seen Star Trek 2 will know what I mean.

'I will walk over your cold corpses...'
Reply 1543
I think Benedict is too big a star now to bother with a TV series like Doctor Who, at least until he is a lot older and his star power has started to wane. Sherlock is different as they are of a higher calibre with greater appeal and exposure than DW but I can't imagine him doing more than one series after the current one.
Original post by montstar
Confused... How can he be the 9th doctor, that was C.E?

The Doctor explained that, what he did was so bad that he did not do it in the name of the Doctor.

Note: I and many are guessing he committed genocide but it is known that he's the 9th.
Original post by The Rusty Spork
I think Benedict is too big a star now to bother with a TV series like Doctor Who, at least until he is a lot older and his star power has started to wane. Sherlock is different as they are of a higher calibre with greater appeal and exposure than DW but I can't imagine him doing more than one series after the current one.

I would have to disagree because Benedict always said he would be willing to do Dr Who, I think he even discussed it with Moffat (who also writes Sherlock) but nothing ever came of it. If Moffat stays on for Dr Who I could see it happening in a year or so. Plus Who has had some very big names on it (like John Hurt) because Dr Who is like a national treasure and the actors often watched it as a child.
Reply 1546
I would have to disagree because Benedict always said he would be willing to do Dr Who, I think he even discussed it with Moffat (who also writes Sherlock) but nothing ever came of it. If Moffat stays on for Dr Who I could see it happening in a year or so. Plus Who has had some very big names on it (like John Hurt) because Dr Who is like a national treasure and the actors often watched it as a child.

The likes of John Hurt isn't Hollywood big or in the prime of his career, which is why I said Benedict could do once his star power wanes. There is not a chance he would give up the chance of another Hollywood blockbuster to work on Doctor Who when he is already tied down with Sherlock.

Edit: I imagine (but I could be wrong) that when he was discussing working on DW it was before the second series of Sherlock and before he had broken out in Hollywood.
(edited 10 years ago)
I think the Doctor should be another 'nobody' like Matt Smith was.
Original post by Rakas21
The Doctor explained that, what he did was so bad that he did not do it in the name of the Doctor.

Note: I and many are guessing he committed genocide but it is known that he's the 9th.

Sorry if I'm being a complete idiot here, but Matt Smith is 11, Tennant was 10 and Eccleston was 9. So how can 9 have a different face? Or has he aged?

I thought Hurt would play either a future doctor/Valeyard or an incarnation before the 1st Doctor, and what he did was so bad it made him take on the name of the Doctor to stop himself doing anything like it again.

On another note I'm very surprised to Matt leave so soon as it always sounded like he'd be on for at least another series, in interviews etc.
Everyone is guessing big names for the next Doctor but it'll probably be someone quite unknown. I would have liked to see Iain de caestecker (from The Fades) or Ben Whishaw (Skyfall's Q) but both are quite young and I think we'll probably see someone older than Smith take on the role.
Sorry if I'm being a complete idiot here, but Matt Smith is 11, Tennant was 10 and Eccleston was 9. So how can 9 have a different face? Or has he aged?

I thought Hurt would play either a future doctor/Valeyard or an incarnation before the 1st Doctor, and what he did was so bad it made him take on the name of the Doctor to stop himself doing anything like it again.

On another note I'm very surprised to Matt leave so soon as it always sounded like he'd be on for at least another series, in interviews etc.
Everyone is guessing big names for the next Doctor but it'll probably be someone quite unknown. I would have liked to see Iain de caestecker (from The Fades) or Ben Whishaw (Skyfall's Q) but both are quite young and I think we'll probably see someone older than Smith take on the role.

Hurt was the 9th incarnation, but what he did wasn't in the name of the doctor, he's not considered as the doctor - Ecclestone was the 9th Doctor, but the 10th incarnation of that time lord.
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
Hurt was the 9th incarnation, but what he did wasn't in the name of the doctor, he's not considered as the doctor - Ecclestone was the 9th Doctor, but the 10th incarnation of that time lord.

What?? So 9 is actually 10, 10 is 11 and 11 is 12? So the next Doctor will be the last regeneration?

Has this actually been confirmed or is it just speculation? Doesn't seem right that they can just rewrite like 8 years of Who (since its return in 2005).

MOFFAT!!!! *shakes fist angrily*
What?? So 9 is actually 10, 10 is 11 and 11 is 12? So the next Doctor will be the last regeneration?

Has this actually been confirmed or is it just speculation? Doesn't seem right that they can just rewrite like 8 years of Who (since its return in 2005).

MOFFAT!!!! *shakes fist angrily*

Pretty much - although I don't think it's the case that the next doctor is the last, if I remember rightly the High Council could give out extra regenerations (they did so to get the Master to fight in the Time War), and given the Doctor is the last of his kind, he'd technically be in charge.

If I remember rightly John Hurt said he was the ninth in an interview.
Reply 1552
WHY DOES HE HAVE TO LEAVE?!?!?!?!?! He was on part with David Tennant if not better. I just hope they don't give the role to a black actor just to satisfy those retards that say the show is Racist. And that goes for a women being cast too. I'm not racist,I just think the doctor should remain white and male, it suits the role better. Even if someone from my ethinicity was cast I would be against aswell it since it just wouldnt be right for the show. More importantly, the next doctor should not be cast on colour or gender but who is the best actor for the role.
Just caught up on all I missed while travelling, wasn't thrilled with final 3 episodes of season, also not happy about the announcement. Ah well!
In today's BBC article with speculation on the next Doctor, one of the candidates is my godparents' other god-daughter. If she gets it, I could be almost related to the Doctor. :eek4:
Reply 1555
Original post by Feefifofum
In today's BBC article with speculation on the next Doctor, one of the candidates is my godparents' other god-daughter. If she gets it, I could be almost related to the Doctor. :eek4:

So they are genuinely thinking about a female Doctor?

Not too sure how I feel about that but only because Moffat seems to have a nightmare writing a developed and rounded female over the course of an entire series.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by The Rusty Spork
So they are genuinely thinking about a female Doctor?

Not too sure how I feel about that but only because Moffat seems to have a nightmare writing a developed and rounded female over the course of an entire series.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well the press have been suggesting it. There's been nothing official at all. All we know is that the role hasn't been cast yet!
Honestly I think Moffat should go too to be honest... while his first series in charge (with Matt Smith) was great I think they've really dropped in quality with Smith's second and third series. There's the odd good episode, yeah, but it feels to me like it's only one or two of the whole series that are decent, when, in older series, for me it was completely the opposite, only one or two were naff and the rest were great.

Still though, it'll be interesting to see where they go with the next Doctor based on who they pick - personally I'm not too bothered about it being a man or a woman, black or white, it'd just be different and I reckon I'd get used to it in time. However they should go with the person best suited for the role out of all the candidates, rather than just get a "token" non white/female lead.
Original post by TheHistoryStudent
Honestly I think Moffat should go too to be honest... while his first series in charge (with Matt Smith) was great I think they've really dropped in quality with Smith's second and third series. There's the odd good episode, yeah, but it feels to me like it's only one or two of the whole series that are decent, when, in older series, for me it was completely the opposite, only one or two were naff and the rest were great.

Still though, it'll be interesting to see where they go with the next Doctor based on who they pick - personally I'm not too bothered about it being a man or a woman, black or white, it'd just be different and I reckon I'd get used to it in time. However they should go with the person best suited for the role out of all the candidates, rather than just get a "token" non white/female lead.

Totally agree with all of this. It's time for Moffatt to go. As long as he's involved we are just going to get more 'quirkiness' at the expense of real emotion and narrative depth, and we aren't going to get full series since he's so involved in Sherlock and other major projects that he just doesn't have the time for it. To a certain extent that isn't his fault, but he should move on and let someone else take over for a while, let the show move in a new direction for a bit.

I also agree that the best person should be chosen regardless of skin colour and gender. With skin colour it doesn't really make a difference with the direction of the show, but with gender I think they'll have to decide early on. If it's going to be a female Doctor, that will have a massive effect on the show, so they won't be able to 'just' appoint a female actor without considering carefully whether or not that's what they want the show to do next.
I really don't want a female doctor. I just don't personally think it would work. Plus I don't like the way Moffat writes women so yeah.

However, I do want a ginger doctor...

Quick Reply

Latest