The Student Room Group

AQA ENGB3 English Language A2 exam - 3rd June 2013

Anyone else sitting this? :smile:

I'm resitting unfortunately! I'm in year 13 but I took it early in January - got 1 mark off an A :emo: it's on the same day as my history exam too, not impressed :afraid: I'm studying Linguistics at uni and need an A to meet my offer, boo.

Scroll to see replies

Yes:smile: A bit scared about Lang change, our lecturer decided to stop teaching us in Jan so we haven't done any work, taught myself. Have you done many past papers? Not too confident with my theorists. Will start actual revision next week, I'm in denial that exams have come around this fast :frown: I need a B for my linguistics course in Swansea, but I'm aiming for AAA for the excellence grant. :smile:
Original post by JennaEmBee
Yes:smile: A bit scared about Lang change, our lecturer decided to stop teaching us in Jan so we haven't done any work, taught myself. Have you done many past papers? Not too confident with my theorists. Will start actual revision next week, I'm in denial that exams have come around this fast :frown: I need a B for my linguistics course in Swansea, but I'm aiming for AAA for the excellence grant. :smile:

I've done basically all of them in lesson time, my teachers have a big thing for past papers hah. I can't recall any language change theorists off the top of my head tbh! Don't know that I've even been taught any. I just revised acquisition ones on Saturday though so hopefully I'll be okay with those if I go over them a few more times. Piaget, Vygotsky, Chomsky, Skinner are the main ones I think :smile: Halliday's language functions too... not that I can remember what the functions are.

I'm scared for change too, but then again I am for both now :tongue: same in that they've come around soo quickly :frown: and I've not been taught it properly since the end of last year... I need to get revising!

Ooh good luck :smile: I'm aiming for ABB for Newcastle, but an A* would be amazing. I've got an A* in my A2 coursework now, but I'm having to resit both last year's modules too, because last summer I got Bs despite it being my favourite subject! Sods law that I get higher in subjects I hate tbh.
Reply 3
Can you remember what were the questions in jan 2013? Thanks

Original post by when she was 22

I'm resitting unfortunately! I'm in year 13 but I took it early in January - got 1 mark off an A :emo: it's on the same day as my history exam too, not impressed :afraid: I'm studying Linguistics at uni and need an A to meet my offer, boo.
Reply 4

I'm sitting this! It seems the language change section is practically a history exam as it is! I've learnt all the key dates and feel as if I'm studying history again. Also finding it extremely hard to revise!
I think it's such a difficult subject to revise :/ is there anywhere that has good information about the theorists? Good luck to everyone sitting it :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by caitlin_parsons
I think it's such a difficult subject to revise :/ is there anywhere that has good information about the theorists? Good luck to everyone sitting it :smile:

I'm resitting too, going for the A* with a bit of luck!

Our teacher showed us this site, it sums up most of the key theories pretty well...

http://darstar74.blogspot.co.uk/

Otherwise, check out getrevising, I found some of the stuff on there dead helpful when I did the exam first time round in January.

Good luck!
Reply 7
Hey! I am doing this exam on Monday and was wondering whether it is sensible to just revise speech in language acquisition since it always comes up every year?
Reply 8
Original post by zocho
Hey! I am doing this exam on Monday and was wondering whether it is sensible to just revise speech in language acquisition since it always comes up every year?

I'm doing the same exam Monday too, and have only focused on speech theorists (Vygotsky, Piaget, Bruner, Halliday, Dore, Skinner, Brown etc). I've looked briefly at reading & writing theorists but couldn't name any of the theorists' stages off the top of my head! I've found there's always lots of opportunities to mention theorists in every speaking section of past papers, so I wouldn't worry about it :-) hope this helps.

I'm literally in the exact same position!! (Minus doing it in Jan). Which Uni are you hoping to do Linguistics? I'm aiming for Leeds Linguistics!
Also doing this exam. Thought these notes will help you all!
Original post by CatherineJell
I'm literally in the exact same position!! (Minus doing it in Jan). Which Uni are you hoping to do Linguistics? I'm aiming for Leeds Linguistics!

Newcastle! :smile: I live in Leeds now. It's my insurance though! Good luck :smile: I haven't revised that much for it because my coursework means I've already got an A overall without having to resit! That and I've got another exam tomorrow too that needs a bit more focus unfortunately :sad: going to spend an hour or so going over everything tonight anyway, but I'm just hoping that I don't do worse than last time now! :tongue:

The January exam was so nice. The LA texts were lovely and change wasn't bad either, so I just know this one's not going to be as nice!
Reply 12
Original post by zocho

that's what I'm doing - I haven't even looked at writing! :s-smilie:
Reply 13
Original post by zocho

I'm doing that too! Haven't even looked at writing. Just got to hope and pray to God that it'll be a good speaking text.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone know what the texts were in language acquisition for Jan 2013? Just dreading that they might put two writing ones on but I doubt they will.
Reply 15
Original post by judevorhand
Also doing this exam. Thought these notes will help you all!

Thanks so much! Really struggling with language change and your notes really helped.
Reply 16
Does anyone know if it's possible there will not be a spoken acquisition question? That's all I know and now I'm scared!!
Original post by zoecharlotte
Does anyone know what the texts were in language acquisition for Jan 2013? Just dreading that they might put two writing ones on but I doubt they will.

There was one speaking and one reading :smile: the reading question asked about "literacy development".
Reply 18
Original post by judevorhand
also doing this exam. Thought these notes will help you all!

thank you so much this is brilliant!:d
Reply 19
The guys that posted the links and PDF notes, thank you so much! I think I did well in the AS exam (external candidate doing the full A-level this year) but I was worried this one was going to be like a history exam! Thanks and good luck to everyone tomorrow :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest