The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tom_hess
Thanks! Now if a 7 marker comes up on this... :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha, I would love a 7 marker to come up for this!

Good luck!
Reply 881
State three aesthetic reasons why we should conserve biodiversity (3)

Flowers are pretty.
Animals are pretty.
Lots of different animals and lots of different plants is therefore, pretty.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Question for everyone:

What evidence were the first classification systems solely based on? [1 Mark]
Reply 883
Original post by LaughingGas
Question for everyone:

What evidence were the first classification systems solely based on? [1 Mark]

Based upon observable features.
Reply 884
Flowers are pretty.
Animals are pretty.
Lots of different animals and lots of different plants is therefore, pretty.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That is true. But I think you need be a bit more specific than that haha:s-smilie:
Hi guys

Can someone help me with this question please?

"Describe the differences between a classification system based on domains and one based on Kingdoms" [4]
Reply 886
I found this document made by OCR which shows some example 'high band' answers if anyone wants to see what they're looking for :smile: It's useful and gives a guideline of how much information you need to include. :^_^: http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/67489-unit-f212-molecules-biodiversity-food-and-health-high-band.pdf
Reply 887
Has anyone got any sheets or any sort of resource which explains how to do experiments investigating the factors affecting enzymes? Thank you! :smile:
Reply 888
Original post by Limitless!
Hi guys

"Describe the differences between a classification system based on domains and one based on Kingdoms" [4]

3 domains- archaea, eukaryota and bacteria

5 kingdoms - animalia, plantae, protoctista, prokaryote and fungi

Animalia, plantae, protoctista and fungi are in eukaryota
Prokaryote is split between archaea and bacteria based upon RNA proteins and genetic material

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 889
Original post by BioGeek
That is true. But I think you need be a bit more specific than that haha:s-smilie:

Is there any context in the question? As all I can think about the aesthetics is that they look good, therefore they can attract people(leading it into economic)..?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 890
Hi guys

The domain system has three different categories- archaea, bacteria and eukaryote whereas the kingdom has 5 categories, animalia, protoctista, fungi, prokaryotae and plantae.
The domain system uses eukaryote (which includes plantae, animalia, fungi and protoctista) whereas it split the prokaryotic groups into two categories- archaea and bacteria. This is because scientists noticed that there was a difference between rRNA genes which arose seperately from each other in many prokaryotics. As a result, some prokaryotic had genes more similar to eukaryotics than the rest of the prokaryic group. As a result, they split the prokaryotae into two groups to signify the differences.
The domain system is fairly broad whereas the kingdom system divides the groups further.
(woah that's confusing... sorry if it's wrong!)
3 domains- archaea, eukaryota and bacteria

5 kingdoms - animalia, plantae, protoctista, prokaryote and fungi

Animalia, plantae, protoctista and fungi are in eukaryota
Prokaryote is split between archaea and bacteria based upon RNA proteins and genetic material

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you very much :smile::smile:
Reply 892
Original post by Sid101
Has anyone got any sheets or any sort of resource which explains how to do experiments investigating the factors affecting enzymes? Thank you! :smile:

This pdf is pretty good! http://asbiology101.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/3-12-investigating-enzymes.pdf
the website has loads of revision notes on everything else too :smile:
Original post by jadec123
The domain system has three different categories- archaea, bacteria and eukaryote whereas the kingdom has 5 categories, animalia, protoctista, fungi, prokaryotae and plantae.
The domain system uses eukaryote (which includes plantae, animalia, fungi and protoctista) whereas it split the prokaryotic groups into two categories- archaea and bacteria. This is because scientists noticed that there was a difference between rRNA genes which arose seperately from each other in many prokaryotics. As a result, some prokaryotic had genes more similar to eukaryotics than the rest of the prokaryic group. As a result, they split the prokaryotae into two groups to signify the differences.
The domain system is fairly broad whereas the kingdom system divides the groups further.
(woah that's confusing... sorry if it's wrong!)

Thank you very much that really helped! :smile::biggrin:
Reply 894
Original post by Unsworth
Depends entirely on grade boundaries which can fluctuate quite a lot each year. But generally if you get 85+ raw marks that will guarantee you full ums, it can be as low as 78-80 though, again depending on how high/low the grade boundaries are!

You're amazing, thank you!
That seems do-able, since I'm aiming for about 90 - 100% UMS, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see what OCR throws at us tomorrow :s-smilie:

Good luck! :biggrin:
Reply 895
Is rRNA same as RNA we talk about to make ribosomes?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by wndms
Is rRNA same as RNA we talk about to make ribosomes?

Posted from TSR Mobile

There are 3 types of RNA

mRNA (messenger RNA, involved in protein synthesis etc)
tRNA (transfer RNA, involved in translation in ps)
rRNA (ribosomal RNA, used to make ribosomes)

They all have the same bases etc

Hope that helps :smile:
Hi guys

A system based on domains would have 3 taxas- eukaryotes , eubacteria, archaebacteria whereas a system based on kingdoms would have 5 taxa- plantae , animalia, fungi, protoctista, prokaryotae xx would that be 4 marks guys ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 898
I have done 0% revision and I barely listened in lessons because I've wanted to drop biology but the school didn't let me becauseof blah blah blah.

I got a B in the January exam and a C in the coursework. I didn't want to submit a U grade to a uni hence wanting to drop as I'm interested in physics and maths.
What are the consequences of not turning up to the exam?
I know i'll get a few responses along the lines of turn up and hope for the best but I think it will be a waste of time.
(edited 10 years ago)
I've made notes on everything but can't seem to remember it .. Any tips guys ? I've read out and watched videos etc .. Not sticking 😿 .. Tips on gettin a b? What have been b grade boundaries in the past ? Please and thanyou xx and good luck tommorow guys x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending