The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2140
Original post by Rakas21
Neither is Murray. Right now Fed's fitness is only really a concern when he's taken to a fifth set or in a slow match that goes past 3 hours.

My Wimbledon rankings at the moment are still...

Fed
Nadal
Murray
Djokovic

Del Potro's probably next.

Is it possible Rafa vs Murray or rafa vs fed semi and whats more likely?
Original post by ubi1

Depends on rankings when the draw is done (well, Wimbledon gives recent grass results extra priority, but I don't think that usually makes much difference).

1 and 2 go into opposite halves, then 3 is randomly drawn into one half, with 4 going into the half without 3.
I fancy Tsonga at Wimbledon or another Frenchman, viva la France?
Reply 2143
If u think about if joker beats Nadal (King of Clay) then he loses 1280 points puting him back to world no.5 so for nadal to win wimby he must face 2 of the BIG FOUR?
Reply 2144
Original post by Chief Wiggum
Depends on rankings when the draw is done (well, Wimbledon gives recent grass results extra priority, but I don't think that usually makes much difference).

1 and 2 go into opposite halves, then 3 is randomly drawn into one half, with 4 going into the half without 3.

God! Nadals going to be the 5th seed. NOOO!
Original post by ubi1
God! Nadals going to be the 5th seed. NOOO!

Is he not number 4 at the moment?
Reply 2146
Original post by Chief Wiggum
Is he not number 4 at the moment?

He is number 4 but the difference between him and world no.5 ferrer is like 100 or 200 points and if djoker wins against nadal in semis then nadal will lose 1200+ points making him world no.5 in the rankings.
Original post by ubi1

If Fed is seeded number 2 and Nadal number 5 (this assumes Nadal does not win the FO and Fed defends his F at Halle) then i would bet on a Fedal QF and Murray on Djokovic's side of the draw (a Fed/Nadal vs Murray final is probably worth more than a Djokovic vs Murray) however if Fed and Nadal are seeded 3 and 4 then they will probably be on opposite sides of the draw (recent rigging in GS's would suggest Murray/Nadal and Fed/Djokovic as the draws).
Original post by ubi1
He is number 4 but the difference between him and world no.5 ferrer is like 100 or 200 points and if djoker wins against nadal in semis then nadal will lose 1200+ points making him world no.5 in the rankings.

So long as Ferrer gets to the SF then Nadal has to win to defend his position.
Reply 2149
Original post by Rakas21
So long as Ferrer gets to the SF then Nadal has to win to defend his position.

Nadals in a really bad situation right now and Federer is in the best i mean getting to the final of RG will gain him 400+ points and if he wins then he gain 1200+ points. If nole loses to rafa he only loses like 400 or 500 points not a huge loss for him or federer. So now its Rafa against the odds. The vulnerable KING.
Original post by ubi1
Nadals in a really bad situation right now and Federer is in the best i mean getting to the final of RG will gain him 400+ points and if he wins then he gain 1200+ points. If nole loses to rafa he only loses like 400 or 500 points not a huge loss for him or federer. So now its Rafa against the odds. The vulnerable KING.

Aye, the important thing for him though is that from Wimbledon onward Nadal only needs a respectable hard court season (even QF and SF) to take number 2 unless Murray or Federer start winning tournaments repeatedly. Conversely from the US Open onward both Berdych and Ferrer are probably going to be taken by Del Potro and so by the Australian Open you have a likely what i think of as the best 5..

1. Djokovic (impressive third season at number 1)
2. Nadal (good showing in Australia could just about make him number 1 going into the clay season next year)
3/4. Federer/Murray (Fed probably still has an edge indoors but Murray outdoors so hard to say)
5. Del Potro (2012 was actually his best season for tournaments including finals so i'll be watching his hard court season with interest)
Reply 2151
Original post by Rakas21
Aye, the important thing for him though is that from Wimbledon onward Nadal only needs a respectable hard court season (even QF and SF) to take number 2 unless Murray or Federer start winning tournaments repeatedly. Conversely from the US Open onward both Berdych and Ferrer are probably going to be taken by Del Potro and so by the Australian Open you have a likely what i think of as the best 5..

1. Djokovic (impressive third season at number 1)
2. Nadal (good showing in Australia could just about make him number 1 going into the clay season next year)
3/4. Federer/Murray (Fed probably still has an edge indoors but Murray outdoors so hard to say)
5. Del Potro (2012 was actually his best season for tournaments including finals so i'll be watching his hard court season with interest)

It's a hit and run for Rafa if he wins RG then a Final in any grandslam Wimby or Us open will take him to world no.2. Flus Federer has to defend his wimbledon crown and Murray has to defend his Us open crown if both of them dont defend their crowns then Rafa goes to world no.2 easily. So what am saying is if Rafa wins RG it puts him in a good situation and the race for year end no.1 will be between Rafa and Nole.
Reply 2152
So L'Equipe have compiled a list of who they think will be the top 10 men in 2018, an interesting list:

10. Jack Sock - USA
9. Jerzey Janowicz - POL
8. Ernests Gulbis - LAT
7. Bernard Tomic - AUS
6. Kei Nishikori - JPN
5. Novak Djokovic - SRB
4. Milos Raonic - CAN
3. Andy Murray - GBR
2. Benoit Paire - FRA
1. Grigor Dimitrov - BUL

I think the main thing I would change in that list is the order Djokovic and Murray, but I agree they will both be still in the top 10 in five years. Not sure I would put Dimitrov at #1 ranking either.

Also obviously Tommy Haas will have finally broken back into the top 10 by 2018 too...
And I can only assume Lukas "The Nadal Slayer" Rosol is going to get injured, that's why he's not in the top 10.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2153
Paire no 2? No chance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Murray is definitely better than federer on grass now

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kado
So L'Equipe have compiled a list of who they think will be the top 10 men in 2018, an interesting list:

10. Jack Sock - USA
9. Jerzey Janowicz - POL
8. Ernests Gulbis - LAT
7. Bernard Tomic - AUS
6. Kei Nishikori - JPN
5. Novak Djokovic - SRB
4. Milos Raonic - CAN
3. Andy Murray - GBR
2. Benoit Paire - FRA
1. Grigor Dimitrov - BUL

I think the main thing I would change in that list is the order Djokovic and Murray, but I agree they will both be still in the top 10 in five years. Not sure I would put Dimitrov at #1 ranking either.

Also obviously Tommy Haas will have finally broken back into the top 10 by 2018 too...
And I can only assume Lukas "The Nadal Slayer" Rosol is going to get injured, that's why he's not in the top 10.

Get rid of number 2 and 10, i'm not convinced either of them are even top 10 material.

In which world is Murray going to be at number 3 and Del Potro not in the top 10 (i actually expect him to beat Murray over his career).

As for Dimitrov being number 1 i'd love to know why he's ranked above Tomic who is 2 years longer and has beaten his performance in 3 grand slams before he's even turned 20.

Taking number 2 and 10 out and bring Del Potro in, i think....

Del Potro
Murray
Djokovic
Tomic
Nikishori
Gulbis
Raonic
Dimitrov
Jancowicz
Original post by Roger1
Well obviously haters like you would say that. Federer when he plays his best can beat anyone on grass with roof closed or not. And obviously if the roof is closed as you've suggested, then your boy Nadal is in even bigger problem. :tongue:

For the record, nobody is my boy. Perhaps others here will disagree but I think the only person I'm so open about liking is Ferrer. Generally speaking, I remain neutral.

I'd take Murray and Berdych over Federer at Wimbledon and maybe Tsonga as well. Of course, you also have Nole and Rafa who have can beat him there. There are too many people I think would beat him for me to consider him favourite or co-favourite. I don't think there is a clear favourite at this time for Wimbledon.
Reply 2157
Also, we have no idea how bad Andy's injury is. We will have to wait to see how he does in Queens if he even plays.
Wimbledon has always been the least predictable Grand Slam since about 2007/2008. Seedings will play a big part in this, particularly if Nadal was to not win the French Open and so slip to No. 5.

If Murray has completely recovered from his injury, I would put him as favourite very slightly over the rest of the field. With the right mindset, a first Wimbledon Crown should be well within his grasp.
I have a feeling Federer is being written off here, and he is determined to show up exclusively for the Slams. With a relatively favourable draw, I would not be surprised at all if he ran through into the final, or successfully defended the title. There was a time when he was absolutely unbeatable on grass (Wimbledon 2006 was GOD mode), and he's got a lot of magic left, so I can only see him being taken out by Nadal (who he has still beaten here) or a big hitter.
Nadal is also a key contender and would be a dangerous floater as 5th seed. A potential finalist (or semi-finalist), maybe even a winner if he gets Ferrer in his quarter and Andy/Roger in the semi
Djokovic, although he's the World No. 1, has the tendency to struggle with his movement on the grass, particularly against those who are able to make good use of the slice - I'm not convinced that he'll win the title, but he can make the semis.
The outsiders: Berdych/Tsonga/Del Potro - these 3 are basically the big hitters in the draw. A long shot for the title, but they can remove Federer/Djokovic from the draw and dramatically reduce the threat to the rest of the top guys.
Tsonga has looked fantastic today - I think Federer has to be wary of him the way he's playing.

Latest